Giant Brass 2 DJ/MtnX

• Tektro mechanical disc brakes
  • Alloy rim/Formula disc 36 hole hub wheelset

Submitted by PeytonP a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2011

Strengths:    Rock solid frame. Brakes have worked well. Looks great- loads of frame and style compliments from more experienced riders (shocking, I know!)

Weaknesses:    Crankset (warped after several months).
Heavy hardtail makes some climbing difficult (but, hey, it's a DJ bike!)

Bottom Line:
Perfect bike for beginners to big DJ/urban hitters. If you can't afford the Giant STP ( which should be your first choice), this bike will work just fine.

Coming out of BMX, I bought this bike because the frame geometry was familiar and it had front suspension and a few extra gears than what I was used to. I've ridden everything from more technical singletrack to heavy street riding with 8 ft. flat bottom drops.

I'm over 200 lbs and this bike has taken everything I've thrown at it, and I ride very hard. It's taken huge drops and bigger bails with only a few minor paint scratches. The crankset warped, but I attribute that to my size (6'3", 210lbs.)

My riding style has changed as I've fallen in love with mountain biking and my interests have changed from street influenced riding to AM/FR.

I'll keep this bike as long as possible, though, and upgrade as necessary, for the days I want to ride DJ and street.

Purchased At:   The Bike Shoppe. Nac

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for stronger crankset.

Submitted by grime a Weekend Warrior from timmins ontario canada

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2010

Strengths:    Looks sharp, good geometry, super low rolling resistance, Nice frame.n The price was sure nice for the gruppo you get.

Weaknesses:    The Forks. The stock RST Launch forks are "ok", they work reasonably well, and DO have adjustable preload but would like to have adjustable dampimg. Unfortunately they have to go cheap somewhere to get to this low price point.

Bottom Line:
Shifts like a dream, rolls like a dream, This is the BMX for adults I've been dreaming of. With a little careful dialing in the gears work flawlessly and the brakes hit (almost) as hard as a good set of hydraulics. I LOVE the frame geometry and the gear ratios are just about optimum for my riding style. I do a lot of downhill in the cement jungle, jumping off walls, loading docks, bunnyhopping curbs etc., and the bike lets me ride waaay over my head. Note that I am 49 yrs old and over 200#. This is way outside of the bike's intended design use, but it never lets me down. Forks are a bit low buck, but not so bat that they have to go right away. This was by far the best bang for the buck in THIS town.

Favorite Trail:   rotary traul to south end

Purchased At:   Source for Sports

Similar Products Used:   Norco 125, GT Chucker 2.0, Marin Alcatraz

Bike Setup:   Stock, but took the time to dial in the stock setup really well.

Submitted by bennyhosk a Weekend Warrior from Traralgon, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2010

Strengths:    Strong frame, looks good, fairly light

Weaknesses:    needs to be serviced regularly

Bottom Line:
Great bike for a beginner, great for jumping, cheap.

Favorite Trail:   Tyers

Purchased At:   Bicycle HQ

Similar Products Used:   -

Submitted by XxBRASSxX a Downhiller from hamilton

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2010

Strengths:    very well built, good frame holds up nicly,perfect hight for jumps nice look very strong bike

Weaknesses:    needs adjusting allot like every 2 months or so but its regular with these bike considering that they are dirt jumping bikes

Bottom Line:
this bike is worth the money spent it is well built and very strong good for all round travel and jumps. is a very good fit for all riders and tires are good for trails and grips. VERY GOOD BIKE!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   bruse trail 4mile hamilton