Commencal Bicycles MaxMax DJ/MtnX

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by ezw0rkz a Weekend Warrior from Boise

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2008

Strengths:    I'm a 5'10" guy, the short frame suits me well, it's also what makes the bike - it's BAD ASS on jumps!
Cranks - look strong and feel solid, I like the metal inserts for the pedal threads. Some people say the rigid fork might be weak because it's not cro-moly, only hi-hensil steal, but I find the fork suited me well on 10' jumps, it felt solid.

Weaknesses:    Rear disk brake mount is a pain in the ass to setup.
Wheels that come with the bike are XC type, but that's not the weakness, it's the lack of tension on the spokes from factory.
Seatpost - probably the same type they used 20 years ago, heavy and relies on pinching the bolt mechanism to secure the seat.

Bottom Line:
I made a good choice picking the max-max for da jumps.
Overall rating only 4 because I haven't ridden other bikes in this category.

Favorite Trail:   local jump trails

Purchased At:   A1

Similar Products Used:   none, this is my first real dirt jumpah!

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of ea-30 handlebar, 2009 Dirt Jumper 2 100mm replaced the rigid. Lighter *modern* seatpost and WTB seat, rear brake replaced to bb5.

Submitted by jamez120 a Weekend Warrior from england

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2008

Strengths:    very strong frame perfect for upgrading around. PERFECT for beginners

Weaknesses:    the wheels need tensioning before heavy use, the v brakes need adjusting every other day, the forks are heavy.

Bottom Line:
if you are looking for a dirtjump/park bike and you are a beginner the this is a perfect bike to start with but i would recomend geting new brakes as the commencal ones have ruined my day on a few occasions.

Favorite Trail:   sherwoodpines

Purchased At:   merlincycles uk

Similar Products Used:   dmr, kona, gt

Bike Setup:   commencal maxmax, marzocchi dirtjumper 3 forks, dmr v8 pedals.

Submitted by stevieparkie a Downhiller from england

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2008

Strengths:    cheap as, light, set up well for upgrades (disk hub, 9speed hub, mech hanger), great frame. the perfect bike to start on and ready for upgrading

Weaknesses:    some bad stock parts but cheap and easy to upgrade. not much else to complain about

Bottom Line:
a quality idea from commencal to make a cheap, easy assessable bike perfect for yours/its progession. has a really descent frame with good angles and sizes.
get one if your new to the sport or if you just wnt a mess-about hardtail

Favorite Trail:   Inners

Purchased At:   jd cycles

Similar Products Used:   dmr, norco, ns bikes

Bike Setup:   pikes, hope m4, 729 pro2

Submitted by The Agency a Downhiller from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2008

Strengths:    30lbs. out of the box.
Tons of fun
Inexpensive
Comes with everything you need to add gears (rear hanger and 8/9 spd hub) and a rear disc brake.

Weaknesses:    Hi Ten Fork, Seatpost weighs a metric ton!

Bottom Line:
Tons of fun for a cheap price. The bars have a racer bend on them and probably should be switched out immediately. It appears to be the same frame as the other Absoulte bikes but with linear brake bosses.

The MaxMax is easy to manual, spin, and has a good size balance point. The parts are all Taiwanese made and Commencal branded...some are crap like the seatpost but for the price of the bike you can easily add parts without going too crazy and running out of $.

I really like the tight geometry. Corssover BMX riders will really like this bike. Parts snobs should avoid it. This bike is really about individualism...it should be built up according to your own tastes.

If you are going to keep it rigid, I would recommend a crmo fork. The stock one seems to be holding up but for the reassurance of my own mind I'm going to upgrade soon.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on.

Purchased At:   agencybike.com

Similar Products Used:   SuperCo, Blk Mkt, DMR, Kona, Haro, Eastern, I have tried them all...

Bike Setup:   Stockish

Submitted by Russ A a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2008

Strengths:    Strong good looking frame, cheap, nice riding position for a 5 foot 11 person on the long frame, standard parts are Decent

Weaknesses:    bit heavy, rigid forks, v brakes, but you upgrade those straight away anyway

Bottom Line:
Great bike for me, i have only just started riding again after a few years break and this is the first bike i bought to get back into it. I cant really say much apart from strong, its taken a beating so far and held up, looks good and is just fun to use.

Favorite Trail:   Delamere 4x