Cannondale Chase 1 DJ/MtnX

• Spokes: DT Champion
  • Crank: FSA Nasty Boy

Submitted by g54 a Weekend Warrior from ramona california united states

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    FRAME-super strong
BRAKES
GEARS
RIMS
TIRES
GOOSENECK
J U S T A B O U T E V E R Y T H I N G ! ! ! ! !

Weaknesses:    Nothing really

Bottom Line:
absolutly worth every dime
bike is built so strong i love this bike
it is worth it get this one for sure

Favorite Trail:   Wikiup jumps

Purchased At:   criags list

Similar Products Used:   Haro thread 8
Kona stuff

Bike Setup:   cannondale chase 2

Submitted by Michael from California

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2007

Strengths:    Everything is great. Strong forks and rims, the tires are pretty nice, and the frame is tough.

Weaknesses:    Maybe, if your really picky, the breaks. Not that there bad, but they just may rub only slightly sometimes.

Bottom Line:
This is all around a great bike. Its strong, and it shifts really nice. You can take it off minor drops. It also coasts going down a hill really well, so if you want to go on a downhill trail, this bike is perfectly fine with that. If your a dirt jumper, get this bike. Its awesome.

Purchased At:   1300

Submitted by mitchell mihan a Weekend Warrior from Orangeville, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2007

Strengths:    Amazing bike. Light weight amazing looks amzing components and for a good price. Just all around a very intruiging bike.

Weaknesses:    Well there are only a few weaknesses with this bike one is that the rims that come stock on the 07 chase 1 are somewhat weak and white is a bit hard to keep clean.

Bottom Line:
OK well the bottom line is simple amazing bike cant get any better for a freeride hardtail. The rims could use an upgrade but the would raise the price and the price is good as it is. All other components are amazing completely awsome chain guide that i have not seen till i got my beautiful bike. And a completely amzing de-railer.

Favorite Trail:   Being built

Purchased At:   squire johns

Similar Products Used:   Norco Bigfoot, Kona Stuff, Kona Scrap, KHS dj 1, and a Haro

Bike Setup:   All stock parts with one upgrade to the rims which is Mag 30's

Submitted by Chis O a Weekend Warrior from Brookline, MA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2006

Strengths:    perfect DJ bike right out of the box

Weaknesses:    SRAM X0

Bottom Line:
The Chase 1 is an absolutely sweet dirt jumping bike and a very good urban bike. I still prefer the extra agility of a bike with 20” wheels for urban riding, but this bike is so plush and forgiving that I gave up my old BMX bike. As noted below in another review the short chainstays make the bike more compact and nimble, so it’s not such a big transition from a BMX bike to this one. Another nice feature that keeps this bike compact is the 80mm travel Manitou Gold Label fork, which offers all the travel you need and handles big hits just fine. I just don’t understand why you’d want to put a bulky long travel fork on a small hardtail.

I also don’t understand why most bikes in this category come stock with two chainrings, so the single chainring setup was a big plus for me. First, having a second ring usually means that you’ll drop the chain as soon as you go backwards, and secondly, the bike simply isn’t meant to be used for granny gear trail climbing. The integrated bashguard/chain retention system is a real bonus. The aesthetics are another bonus, with sweet layered graphics on the frame and a color matched fork. (The picture at the top of the page as of this posting is outdated; the 2006 model is only available in white, and the 2007 model is only available in white with a yellow to lime green fade in the bottom bracket)

The only complaint I have with this bike is the X0 spec. SRAM calls the rear shifter a trigger shifter, but it’s really the outdated push/push design that Shimano gave up on over a decade ago. When I land a jump, I usually make an unintended shift to a smaller cog, an annoyance that would be eliminated with a true trigger shifter. Shifting under load is also really poor. It looks like the only spec changes for 2007 are a drop down to an X9 shifter and a switch of the bashguard from an e13 to an in-house model. These changes shouldn’t sacrifice performance, and hopefully they’ll allow a small drop in the retail price. I was willing to pay a premium for all the features I like about this bike, but I do feel a bit silly knowing the price was also likely inflated for the X0 rear derailleur, a feature that simply isn’t worth paying anything extra. If I ever wear out or damage the shifting, I’ll likely just go with a single speed set up.

Bottom line is you’ll have trouble finding a better stock bike in this category

Favorite Trail:   South Cottonwood Canyon

Similar Products Used:   GT Tour (20")

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Ken a Downhiller from Essex

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2006

Strengths:    Fantastic components, Cannondale top quality frame

Weaknesses:    none....

Bottom Line:
I decided to purchase a Chase 1 (2007 model) after test ridind a Chase 3 and finding the feel of the bike fantastic, I spent quite a bit of time looking at other dirt jump / street bikes and found nothing that felt quite as good as the chase.

I have only just collected this bike and in its first skatepark session it has blown me away, it manuals between sections with ease and flows through lines like water down a river.

Yes the bike is pricey but you get what you pay for and this bike is full of top quality components. The new rock shox argyle forks are excellent and the hayes brakes have always been a personal favourite for me, XO deraulier and shifter as well as the cranks and wheelset well enough said this bike is top of the range kit.

I am going to rate five chillies for value even thought there are cheaper options as i think if you feel it is money well spent then who cares what it cost.

Will review again soon when i have spent some more time on the bike...

Favorite Trail:   anything my wheels touch

Purchased At:   addiktion cycles (cheers guys)

Similar Products Used:   too many to mention

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Chase 1 UK spec

Submitted by Blake Coderre a Weekend Warrior from Canaan, Vermont, US

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2006

Strengths:    Everything

Bottom Line:
This is an up-to-date post on my past review. I have an 06' Cannondale Chase 1. These past 3 months have been amazing. I used this bike everywhere. Ive done, DH, XC, URBAN, DJ. All that stuff. The bike loved every part. I even did some pretty big drops for a hardtail, one 10 footer to flat and one 12 footer to slight slope. Still the Manitou Gold Label soaked it up fine. One single problem I've had was the bottom bracket bearings. Since i did the 10 footer to flat, I crushed all the bearings, cracked them all in half, hahaha. But hey what can you expect. Im so pleased with the bike and Im sure many more things are to come.

Favorite Trail:   Balsams #30

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Inverness

Similar Products Used:   Same

Bike Setup:   Same

Submitted by Alf Browne a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2006

Strengths:    Solid, Easy, Confidence-building bike. Awesome for freeriding and dirt jumping and can also handle some drops and extreme freeriding

Weaknesses:    The version i bought had a front mech which meant the derailleur was very noisy wen going over rough ground as well as most drops. The Manitou Forks the bike come with are simply dreadful but can be upgraded easily by Manitou Sherman Fireflys.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, however if you are to buy it, you may need to spend a little extra money upgrading poor parts i.e. forks and front mech (if it came with one, that is). Once these have been changed, this bike will be awesome, comfortable, strong and capable of anything your local riding spot can throw at it, oh and it turns some serious heads as opposed to DMRs and other dirt jumpers.

Favorite Trail:   Danbury

Purchased At:   EvansCycles

Similar Products Used:   DMR Rhythm, Specialised P1

Bike Setup:   Manitou Stance Flow (soon to be Sherman Firefly), upgraded X-9 from X-7 as the X-7 snapped off due to contact with my knee (!), MRP Bash Guard and Chain Guide (simply awesome - great swap for my front mech - a bit pricey at £125 though)

Submitted by boris a Racer from birmingham, alabama, usa

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2006

Strengths:    This is an extraordinarily strong frame, and with the shortened chainstay yoke, it's the shortest rear triangle on the market. The bike comes equipped with x.o and the only 1.5 inch version of the dirt jump gold label series fork! I found the bike to be a decent weight, and comfortable in the air. the frame is stiff enough to throw around in the air, but it is soft enough to take some of the edge off of large urban drops....oh, and the grind bashgaurd system is the only thing like it in the world.. it reallyworks well...so much better than other grind gaurds and tensioners, etc.

Weaknesses:    nope

Bottom Line:
This is the best it's gonna get if you are truly devoted to DIRT JUMPING. it's a stiff frame and fork, short chainstays, so it's like a big bmx, and it has the top of the line in shifting technology. maybe the wheels could be upgraded, but at it's price, there's nothing you can build up better...i mean, aaron chase rides it, so why would i ride anything else?

Purchased At:   1160

Similar Products Used:   iron horse porter, specialized p.3, haro escape 8.1

Bike Setup:   2006 chase frame with shorter chainstay yoke, manitou gold label jump series 2 (1.5") ,sram x.o derailler and trigger shifters! sun singletrack wheels with fire hub and formula thru-20, fsa nasty boy cranks, grind bashgaurd system, sdg saddle and post ,hayes nine brakes

Submitted by Blake Coderre a Weekend Warrior from Canaan, Vermont, US

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2006

Strengths:    Everything they said it will do, it does, and then more.

Weaknesses:    nothing yet

Bottom Line:
This bike is completely worth the price. If you're willing to pay, you'll never regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Balsams #30

Purchased At:   Inverness

Similar Products Used:   Giant STP1 and STP3, Trek Bruiser, Haro Zero 1, Kona Scrap, Specialized P1 Cro-Mo, Cannondale Chase 3 and many more...

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by John Micman a Weekend Warrior from whistler

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2006

Strengths:    amazing bike, can stnd up to any abuse, never had a problem with it ever, i think it is underrated, amazing bike, worth thew money

Weaknesses:    had to change tires for downhill, nothing else

Bottom Line:
BUY IT

Favorite Trail:   dirt jumping/some downhill

Purchased At:   beyondbikes

Similar Products Used:   kona roast 2002, devinci kicker

Bike Setup:   stock (new tires)

Submitted by John Smith from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2005

Strengths:    This bike is solid

Weaknesses:    None for its intended use

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my last review. I like this bike more and more every time I ride it. This bike has a very balanced feel. Long manuals and wheelies are cake. Ive hit so many drops on this bike and the wheels are still true. Ive hit a few 10 footers to flat and many 4 to 6 footers daily. Ive taken hits so hard its given me whiplash but the bike eats it up. I have a feeling this bike will last for awhile.

Similar Products Used:   many others

Bike Setup:   stock Chase 1

Submitted by John Smith a Weekend Warrior from Indy

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2005

Strengths:    Solid, fork is plush and stiff

Weaknesses:    pretty heavy at 35.5 pounds, fork weighs 6 pounds, it takes a while to get used to lifting the heavy front end for technical drops, brakes make alot of noise, Maxxis Holly Rollers are only good for dry hardpack and concrete

Bottom Line:
It looks like I had more bad things to say about this bike than good. But this bike is pretty wicked. After breaking the fork in (about fifty miles just getting used to the geometry)Ive taken many 4 to 5 foot drops to flat and ridden alot of technical freeride. I was a little worried about how it would ride when I purchased it, but riding the bike makes me confident that I made the right choice. This bike is very comfortable. I have concerns about how it will hold up to mild freeride (3 to 7 foot drops to flat). The bike feels very solid. Ive only had the bike for a week and the Sram x-9 isnt shifting properly, but after a couple weeks I get a free overhaul and I think it will be fine. I think about all Hayes brakes rub and make noise occasionally. The fork makes the front end heavy but im getting used to it. Im thinking about getting a fox 36 . That will take a pound off the front of the bike. This bike gets the job done. I will post another review in a couple of years.

Favorite Trail:   Urban Freeride

Purchased At:   Bicycle Garage Indy

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz bullit, Trek 80,90,98, and liquid 30, Giant VT 2,Reighn 2, and AC1, and Titus Locomoto

Bike Setup:   medium stock Chase 1

Submitted by jamie kay a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2005

Strengths:    none, absalootly rubbish

Weaknesses:    everything, just dont by it

Bottom Line:
CRAP DO NOT GET IT

Favorite Trail:   pearl forest