Azonic Steelhead DJ/MtnX

4.52/5 (23 Reviews)

Built for the aggressive urban assault freerider. Features full 4130 Chromoly tubing throughout, new IS chain guide mount, extra beefy head tube wall and 1/4 inch thick drop outs and adjustable brake mount to get accurate brake setup, 24"-26" and IS disc brake mount. Replaceable derailleur hanger.

Submitted by fdmbautista a Weekend Warrior from Bethlehem, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2010

Strengths:    Indestructible. Fun geometry. Nice color (flat green). Can be built to suit ANY rider (24", xc, trail, freeride, downhill, disc/vee, short fork/long fork/rigid fork, etc)

Weaknesses:    My singlespeed Steelhead is heavier than one of my dual sus bikes!

Lame stickers that melt off in the hot sun

Bottom Line:
This is my second Steelhead build, built it last year and rode it all season this year. My old one was a Pro XL and liked it so much that I built up a Pro and donated the XL to another rider. Pro fits much better. This year it's my most ridden/reliable bike (mostly because my dual sus bikes are in the shop for weeks at a time). I ride 3-4 times weekly. The more I ride it the more I like it. Bulletproof. Rocks, drops, falls, climbs, you name it. Everything on it literally falls apart before the frame will. Already went through a set of brakepads, brake caliper mounting bolts, endless untrue wheels, tires, shredded headset, and a holzfeller crankset. I'm 5'6" 160lbs,and frame/fork combo fits great. Very easy to control frame behavior with good flat pedals. S-shaped stays give a nice steel flex. Fork steer tube is now creaking. Yet another thing to replace on this frame!

I'm not a dirt jumper, but this bike makes me try to be one whenever I see mounds. I ride mostly xc with this, but I don't shy away from getting air on the built up logs and occasional dropoffs.

It'll be years, and hundreds more breakable parts, before I have to retire this frame. This frame will outlast everything on it!

If you find one in good shape, plan to have it forever. ...or until the rust gets to it!

Excellent value for a versatile frame.

Favorite Trail:   French Creek

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Komodo (built one up for a friend and rode it once)

Bike Setup:   Steelhead Pro frame,Fox Vanilla 125R fork, Avid BB7 brakes, Holzfeller BB and cranks, FSA Pig headset, singlespeed 32x18, Shimano hubs on Sun rims, Premium Products thin pedals.

Submitted by chain_slap a Weekend Warrior from Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2010

Strengths:    Beefy construction, Massive rear tire clearance, V brake or disc mount, Thick dropouts, ISCG mounts

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Funky rear derailleur mounts,

Bottom Line:
You can use a 80-140mm travel for on this frame, for the price it doesn't have the versatile dropouts of a Rocky Mountain DJ, but this frame is extremely durable.

Favorite Trail:   Bluff Creek

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   2005 KHS DJ200

Bike Setup:   2007 Green frame, Marz 55R 140mm fork, Deore drive train, Specialized Chunder Tires, Setup for light freeride and general trail use.

Submitted by williebox a Weekend Warrior from london ontario canada

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2010

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
i build this bike up in the winter costing me about $1300 but it was worth. ive ridden it once so far and rides like a charm

heres some pics

Favorite Trail:   meadowlilly

Purchased At:   some guy off the int

Bike Setup:   fox 36 vanilla RLC fork, 2008 Azonic Steelhead Frame, truvative hussefelt crank, Diety dirty thirty handlebars,Truvative hussefelt stem, intense micro knobby tires,Weinmann DM-30 doublewall rims, Formula Disc QR hubs, Hayes Stroker Ryde hydraulic, 8" rotors brakes,KHE coloured chain, Alloy platform w/crmo axles & replaceable pins pedals

Submitted by Ted a Weekend Warrior from Oregon

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2009

Strengths:    great frame, its cool loookin and very stong. easy to manuever through trails and jumps. easy wheelies through the streets.

Weaknesses:    none really. i would recommend getting a chain guide though.

Bottom Line:
If i had to describe this bike with one word it would have to be AMAZING! great bike and i love it. this bike is for the person who does a little bit of everything. light enough for street, yet strong enough for DH or trails.

Favorite Trail:   ll Stub Stewart state park

Purchased At:   craig is my friend a

Similar Products Used:   my first mountain bike, i used to ride bmx

Bike Setup:   rock shocks dart 2, shimano shifter, t.h.e seat, truvativ "the pig" headset, STOMP pedals, truvativ 3 piece crank

Submitted by Gus a Weekend Warrior from Talkeetna, Alaska

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2008

Strengths:    It holds up well on the FR and DH. I've done skatepark and DJ and does well there also like it's supposed to. Easy to spin, whips around good, good dimensions and geometries

Weaknesses:    a little heavy when lifting it to load into a bike rack or pickup or when hiking up for your next run

Bottom Line:
Awesome, purley awesome. The pro xl is the perfect size for a 14 year old in alaska doing everything from throwing tricks, to downhill, to xc rides. My setup is pretty heavy but its all the result of upgrading after breaking lighter components and now I've ridden for a month without breaking anything. It's a good solid bike with dimensions for anything and I like the horizontal dropouts I hated using a tentioner. I bought it because I cracked an aluminum frame and I'm 170 pounds 5'9'. I'd been looking at it and comparing it to other frames and it seemed like the best choice over Iron Horse, Kona, Specialized, Haro, Blk Mrkt, Leader, Giant, and Santa cruz. It was the only steel frame I found that would comfortably hold a 6' fork. Its a frame you can set up for anything and everything and will keep asking for more. Anyone who freerides or only rides places like my hometown (Talkeetna) where nobody has given even the skateboarders a park should buy a steelhead.

Favorite Trail:   anyting from street to freeride

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   kona shred

Bike Setup:   '08 steelhead pro xl white, '07 marzocchi 66 eta rcv, sas halo rims, azonic meat grinder cranks, azonic a-frame pedals, fsa pig headset, hayes mx-4 brakes(8' rotor up front), singlespeed, truvativ gravity 1.5' riser DH bars and stem

Submitted by J-Bone a Weekend Warrior from MICH

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2008

Strengths:    Sick looks, pretty light for a steel frame. horizontal drops, tensioner tabs on the bb

Weaknesses:    none really. A more common seat post clamp size would be nice-but I have the right size now twenty nice.eightmm.

Bottom Line:
as good as any DJ frame out there. No questions. Very expensive direct from the Azonic site. Very cheap when bought on pricepoint or ebay.

Favorite Trail:   any, bumps, street

Purchased At:   the bay

Bike Setup:   steelhead, outlaws wheels, DJ1, strip bars, headlock, stubby stem, clamp.

Submitted by Dizzy D a Weekend Warrior from Bethlehem, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2008

Strengths:    indestructible, versatility (set it up for street, xc, dj, freeride, anything!), STEEL

Weaknesses:    a little heavy, but nothing that you notice on the ride, just when picking it up at the end of a ride.

Bottom Line:
This thing rocks.
Solid solid solid.
I ride xc with it, and like to drop/huck things if I find them, and I know this frame take it all. This thing does great on the trail. Amazing control, has the flex of steel, and takes a beating. it's gotten pretty scuffed up, mostly from hauling it around during travels and still no rust. It has a relaxed geometry, but I think the fact that i ride the XL keeps me from doing wheelies on the climbs, and the rear tire stays planted.

I like the frame so much I'm looking to get another one to build a commuter! That's the magic of the Steelhead! You can pretty much build it to be anything you want it to be! ...and you won't break the bank!

Affordable, dependable, long-lasting. It's the Honda of bike frames.

Purchased At:   the list of craigs

Similar Products Used:   nothing is similar

Bike Setup:   2004 size XL (a bit big, I'm only 5'6", but I'm not doing tricks so its ok), singlespeed 32x18, Fox vanilla up front, avid bb7s, Maxxis Mobster 2.5 front, WTB Velociraptor rear.

Submitted by neabailey a Weekend Warrior from Montana

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2008

Strengths:    Revised Geo for 08, Cromo!, Tire clearance, Horizontal Drop outs, short rearend!, Short seat tube = more stand over clearance and room for tricks, less weight than the older models.

Weaknesses:    Where the seatstay's meet the seattube looks like it could be weak. Hasn't caused an issue yet but I'm keeping my eye on it.

Bottom Line:
This Bike is great. I come from a BMX back ground, mainly street and some dirt, When I made the switch to "big wheels", I was not impressed with what I found. Prices are outrageous, and options were slim for a cromo street bike.
But then azonic rolled out their revised Steelhead and I found what I was waiting for, an inexpensive steel frame with good geo. There is no reason a steel frame should cost $500 like the Dobermann's or Mob, ect. $300 is an average price for a top end Bmx Frame, it doesn't cost $200 in additional steel to make a 26". Anyone who works for a living and doesn't want to get caught up in the overpriced world of "novelty" mtb's should consider this bike.

Favorite Trail:   The Street

Purchased At:   The Internet Machine

Similar Products Used:   Bmx. And other Aluminum Hardtails.

Bike Setup:   08 Steelhead, Marz forks, sun wheels, Macneil pivotal seat and post, transition Temple lite stem, hayes 9, powered by a 1x9 drivetrain.

Submitted by Rob Esquire a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2008

Strengths:    Strong construction Cro-Mo tubing.
Horizontal Dropouts.
Tight rear triangle.
Big tyre clearance.

Weaknesses:    Chainstay on drive side looks a little thin at bend.

Bottom Line:
Bombproof steel frame, great angles. Handles like a dream, it can be thrown about the place despite weighing in a bit more than my old DS-1. Similar angles to my DS-1 but feels much better tighter and unrelenting.
If you are heavy enough or just land heavily enought to crack this then you need a full suuser and leave the hardtail fun to those of us with enough skill to land fairly smooth.
I'll see if I can break this but I think I'll get through a few rims first, even with my 2.2" DMR street tyres.

Favorite Trail:   Forest of Dean

Purchased At:   chainreactions

Similar Products Used:   Azonic DS1
Jumping Jack Flash
Orange Ms.Isle

Bike Setup:   Dirt Jumper 1, Azonic Stem + Bars, Mavic 721 rims, Cheiftain Crom-Mo 3 peice crankset

Submitted by Jack a Downhiller from Spokane WA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2008

Strengths:    I've done things to this bike that would utterly destroy any other frame, and I still ride it daily, four years later. Super relaxed geo, short chainstays. Replaceable dropouts. Strong gussets, but still thin and sexy. The price was hard to beat at the time, and if I had to buy one of the 08's, it's still a killer deal. Worth all the green if you abuse your ride like I do.

Weaknesses:    None. I have the 04, so the frame is all narrow tubing, all steel brutality. The only weakness is my skull. The newer frames have various diameter tubing, wich not only looks lame, but adds unnecessary weight. It's overbuilt, and has longer chainstays. So in short, find an old one if you can....

Bottom Line:
It fell of my bike rack at 85 mph on the freeway and it was fine. I lost a pedal, but thats not what were reviewing. It's been wrecked, thrown, stomped, cursed, dropped, sold and bought. I will never need another frame. Forget the MOB, buy an old steelhead.

Favorite Trail:   Beacon

Purchased At:   who knows

Similar Products Used:   06 steelhead(really horrible btw). Kona Cowan.

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi DJ1 fork, Rhine Lyte wheel set, mix match RF cranks, no name BB. Chopped bars, broken brake lever. Avid Arch Rival rim brakes(who needs disc's to ride street?). Brown Grips. And Kenda K-Rads. Best tires ever.

Submitted by Tom Richardson a Downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, Good gusset's, hits hard, whips round bends well.

Bottom Line:
This frame is a very good all round hardtail frame, good for singlespeed setup's and gears. Will take a good thrashing well.

Favorite Trail:   Lordswood

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose, giant etc etc

Bike Setup:   Azonic steelhead, halo, Z1 freeride, fizik, deity, magura louise, specialized / Big Hit factory

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Marietta, PA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap, Strong, removable brake tabs that fit both 24/26" wheels.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, rear disc mount is a pain to use.

Bottom Line:
This thing is pretty much indestructible, but you pay for that weight. If/When rust accumulates in the tubing, it falls down into the BB shell and makes a mess, not a big deal, but annoying when switching BB's. For a steel frame, I wish it had a bit more flex than it does, but a lot of DJ guy like stiffness, so what can you do?

The rear disc brake mount is big frustrating because you have to remove the caliper before removing the wheel, and have horizontal drop outs make aligning everything and getting good brake performance a challenge. Azonic, next time, make the brake tabs forward of the rear axle!

Paying on $150 for mine new (when it first came out), even if I sold the frame for $25 bucks today I wouldn't feel like I was losing a lot of money. Frame does what its supposed to, not break.

4 Overall just because its the cheapest frame of its kind.

Purchased At:   aebike.com