Trek Transport Cargo Bikes

• Crank: FSA Alpha Drive, 38/28 w/guard
  • Pedals: Wellgo nylon body w/alloy cage

Submitted by Nakedbabytoes a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2013

Strengths:    Bonus equipment included in stock build that costs you extra in other cargo setups. Lowered top tube makes entry & exit with loaded bike super easy. Lightweight aluminum frame. Hard case flat resistant tires. Front rack. Fender. Flip up/down running boards help carry the load. Internal bag pockets help keep stuff organized. Well geared for flats unloaded AND hills loaded.

Weaknesses:    2 frame sizes?! No rear fender. Fold up/down racks rattle on cotter pins. Undersized kickstand. Undersized/low volume tires. Flexy under heavy loads. Rear stock rim brakes.

Bottom Line:
I literally love this cargo bike! It is a good entry level everything you need standard cargo bike that is fairly lightweight(aluminum) that doesn't break the bank. The bags really shine and are well thought out. 2 internal mesh pockets that zip keep emergency kits and locks/bungees organized. The bags zip and have lockable pulls. They also have large buckles for cinching tight. Very big, I can fit 2 large grocery bags along with 2 gallons of milk on either end and 2 2 liter bottles stacked ontop, in each bag! The top rack is long, much longer than the other competitors. I have yet to max it out but carrying 2 24 packs of soda and a 12 pack of beer and a watermelon(in a cargo net) is easy peasy. Or kids(trek does advise against live cargo....as does Surly, FYI) once you put a cushion ontop and a stoker bar on the seatpost. My son loves to ride with me!

The front rack is adequate for a case of beer or a puppy(is that a real choice?!) but I wouldn't haul much more than that simply because it attaches to the fork, not the frame/head tube. It would affect steering. The handlebars rock, I love open sweeping bars! And then the integrated Ergon grips...genius! Add easy to use trigger shifters and simple average gearing and a winner you have! The lowered top tube is frankly, my favorite feature....a no brainer with heavy cargo loads(or children's heads!) so that you aren't karate kicking your cargo trying to mount your loaded ride.

I have noticed decent flex when loaded. I have hauled nearly 200lbs of groceries or people(shhhhh.....don't tell corporate!) and it does feel flexy in the middle, you definately feel some lag when you turn or weave. Not crazy uncontrollable but just there. I think it makes me a better rider;) but who knows.

The kickstand is okay until you get uneven loading or wiggly passengers(but they deserve what they get). Just watch what you are doing and plan your loading and you'll be fine. The flip up/down loaders do rattle when no load is carried since cotter pins hold them in position. The way it goes with the flip ability. I inserted water hose rubber washers on the ends of the tubes and it solved the issue. .79 and quiet.... The tires are good in that they are flat resistant and hard! Bad in that they have no give and are low volume, you feel every single crack and bump. They roll well and have decent road tread. Rear rim brake. Need I say more?

And then Trek.....2 frame sizes?! Way to limit yourself right off the bat. I suppose you have to make a gamble when you try something new and why not gamble with the sizes the majority of people fit into? But still....how about small, medium, and large? I mean, 2 sizes?!

Upgrades....
First, upgrade the rear brake to disk. Trust me, when you have 200lbs trailing behind you down a hill, you're gonna want those disks!
Tires: there is no give in the tires. Like a road 23 on cobblestone, take some Advil with you! Or get higher volume fatter meats...done.
Passengers: cushion, stoker bars, footpegs(add wheelskirts for safety!) Just don't tell anybody.
Running boards: rubber washer your cotter pins or tubes to prevent rattling while unloaded.
Rear fender: get one or fill in the rear behind seat triangle of the frame with plastic(I did) or your passengers/cargo will get dirty/wet.

Favorite Trail:   City Rails to Trails.

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks.

Purchased At:   Craigslist.

Similar Products Used:   None. First cargo bike.

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Transport stock.
Add second bag. Add Scwalbe Fat Franks tires. Add cushion, footpegs, stoker bars for passenger.

Submitted by BeastRider a Cross Country Rider from Newport News, Virginia

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    The Transport comes equipped with a solid and well thought out frame setup. The bike also has decent mid-level components already installed. With a 160mm disc brake in the front and a v-brake setup in the rear. The fold down rear racks are a huge plus as you can have them up and out of the way for some streamlined traveling or, with a simple removal of a locking pin, they fold down and have a 200 pound capacity. As-is from the shop it's a good setup.

Weaknesses:    Should have a disc brake setup front AND rear as standard. The center stand on this bike could be just a bit on the "beefier" side. Front basket setup could be just a bit deeper for better cargo security.

Bottom Line:
I have owned mine since October of 2011 and have enjoyed every minute. It does take a few rides to become adjusted to the length and slightly wider turning radius. You won't be cutting any tight corners with this one. Also, curb-jumping is out of the question for most of them as the center stand WILL catch and, occasionally, cause you to fall.

If you plan on doing a LOT of off-road riding this probably wouldn't be the best choice for you. It's, frankly, just not designed for that. And, if you are a rider that plans on group rides at a fast pace ((A or B pace)) then this definitely isn't the bike for you.

There are many cargo bikes available on the market today and it seems to be a growing and popular bike. I chose the Trek over others because of a couple of reasons. The first is the availability of dealers that could, if needed, take care of any problems that might arise. The second is that the Transport comes fitted with just about everything you would need to get started as "standard" equipment. About the only thing you would need to carry the first load are a few bungee cords to hold the load in place. Or you can load up in the large bag that comes with the bike.

All in all I have been MORE than pleased with my choice. This is my first foray into the cargo bike world and I have been 95% car free for about ten years now. It's been a great help on those jaunts to to grocery and home improvement stores as I don't feel that I HAVE to take the car all the time.

I am giving 5 Flamin' Chilis for value as it is definitely worth a little extra cash to get into the Cargo World.

And 4 Flamin' Chilis as an Overall Rating as there are certainly SOME improvements that could be made. As with most new bicycles on the market.

Be prepared for a lot of questions when you stop someplace. Most people out there are not familiar with the cycling world and have no idea WHAT you are riding. I have spent lots of extra time at a 7-11 answering questions.

I had to choose "Cross Country" as there isn't a "Commuter" or "Cargo" choice in the "What describes you" category.

Favorite Trail:   Commuter/Car Free

Purchased At:   East Coast Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Mine setup is pretty much the factory setup with the additions of lighting, horns and other safety features. Side lighting is needed as this is a much longer bike so people aren't quite expecting to see this out there yet. 26 X 1.5 rims and tires with a 60 pound air limit are good for carrying cargo. The large and roomy bag that comes with the bike is a great idea. It has a few compartments inside for smaller items and a monstrous area for groceries and other items. The straps for the bag are adjustable for almost anything that you can fit inside allowing for less movement when transporting you stuff and is water resistant as well.

SURVEY: Making a family's bikes easier to store and transport

Every time I've navigated through a garage full of bike handlebars or tried to wrangle 4 bikes into a single bike rack without interlocking the handlebars, I've dreamed about a solution like this. Now that it actually exists, I need to know if others share that interest. I run a bike component sta ... Read More »

SURVEY: Making MTN bikes easier to store & transport

Hello! If there were an easy way to help with transportation and storage of mountain bikes, would you be interested in it? I run a bike component start-up in the Seattle area that needs feedback from mountain bike owners before distributing a Swiss invention in the US that makes all bikes easie ... Read More »

Best way to transport bikes cross country in truck

Getting ready to move cross country and was wondering if there was a good rack system to use with a pickup. I've been using an old seat cushion as a shuttle pad for the last three years. It's worked well but 1) its about worn through 2) it's definitely not long enough to transport all my bikes. I ... Read More »

Saris Bones RS trunk rack as a long term transport solution

I'm still debating on a long term transport solution for my Yeti ASR-5 on my BMW 335i. I'm currently using a cheap Yakima Big Joe trunk rack but it's not viable for long term use. It's fine for the 20 minute drives to my local trails. But with summer here, I often want to take my bike to work to ... Read More »

Trek Transport and Actionpacker trailer

Hello my name is Richard I'm from Drummondville, Quebec, Canada .This is my Trek Transport 2012 with Rubbermaid Actionpacker trailer and on the rear rack a Stanley Fatmax 28 inch tool box and other parts on my bike is coming soon. Next Step in 2014 a 1000 watts Magic Pie 3 (Golden Motor) with two li ... Read More »