Surly Big Dummy Cargo Bikes

• Headset: 1-1/8" threadless
  • Tire clearance: 26 x 2.5" with fenders

Submitted by minte a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2013

Strengths:    Excellent build quality
Simple and strong
26 " platform means you can use all those leftover wheels, tires and other parts you have lying around

Weaknesses:    None noted so far

Bottom Line:
This bike has been transformative! I use it as my everyday commuter bike and I've only driven a car to work once since I've owned it, and that was so I could go get new fenders. I have a short three or four mile commute to a busy job. That three or four miles is about the only time in my day that I don't have to focus on anybody else and can just enjoy a few minutes of quiet. I always have to wear dress clothes at work and need to haul a laptop often. None of this is an issue with this bike. You really don't need to worry about how you pack or how much you need to bring and its wonderful. Want to go to the gym after work? Bring an extra pair of clothes and shoes for that. Not an issue. See a garage sale on the way to work? Stop by, who knows what you'll find. I can shop for groceries if I feel like it, and don't need to worry about the size of backpack or panniers that I bring. Lock? Its always in there somewhere. Need to bring a dress jacket for a meeting? It fits fine. I talked the family into heading out for a long ride down a rails to trails path. I ended up hauling lunch, extra water, locks, tools, tubes and several jackets for everybody and none of this was a problem. Riding along the mostly flat tree lined trail turned into one of the most memorable rides I've ever had. It was by no means epic in the traditional biking sense; it was unplanned, highly disorganized and we averaged about 5 mph. This bike enables you to have all of that, and still make it a great time.

I love this bike and I can't remember when I've had a bike that I enjoy more. Above all else, its just a really nice bike to ride. It feels solid, well built and predictable; with functionality that still blows me away. Surly probably won't like this comparison, but its a bit like having a mini-van. You can throw a bunch of crap inside it; haul whatever you want to, and just not worry about it. It may not be as fast as that anorexic little high maintenance, moody, carbon fiber speedster in the garage, but its always there to ride when you want it, however you want to, with plenty of room for when the in-laws come to visit.

This is hands down the most useful and enjoyable bike that I've ever owned.

Similar Products Used:   All mountain Kona Dawg
Specialized flat bar hybrid road/commuter bike
Salsa Mukluk snow bike

Bike Setup:   18", stock with the addition of fenders for riding in the rain

Submitted by NZPeterG

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2013

Strengths:    Large load carrying capability, Nimbleness, Colour (love the green :-) )
New Dummy Bags, Racks, and Top Plate.

Weaknesses:    Cost.

Bottom Line:
I just got my New N.O.S. Dummy last week and I have not been on my MTB for the last week! I can ride into town and then think O' I need to go shopping to the weeks food shopping, with the Dummy I can just go around to the shop and do the shopping it just fit's into the Big Bags.

Submitted by bicyclenomad a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2012

Strengths:    Carrying capacity - shopping, DIY, children, adults, kayaks and general luggage
Good handling with load (well secured) - including technical mountain biking (singletrack) and pavement
Standard parts compatibility (apart from extended chain/cabling) vs other load-carrying options.
Robust - only frame problem over 28000km off-road was a broken kickstand plate (welded in Mexico). Frame and bike build stood up to a lot of punishment that I wouldn't have trusted a standard Xtracycle build to manage.

Weaknesses:    Compared to pannier systems, Freeloader bags are relatively slower to load and unload, but flexibility off loading more than offsets this.
Heavy to pick up and throw over fences etc compared to standard wheelbase unloaded bicycles.
Possible to carry too much stuff - doesn't encourage packing minimisation! :-)

Bottom Line:
Review based on a mostly off-road tour from Canada to Tierra del Fuego (www.bicyclenomad.com) - 28,000km over 20 months. (also see more detailed review with photos here: http://bicyclenomad.com/2012/07/10/reckoning-tour-testing-a-surly-big-dummy/)

Overall, given that I can happily run narrow slick tyres and go fast on-road, pop in to the shops without forethought and offer people lifts, and ride technical singletrack together with my already mentioned touring experience on it: possible the most flexible, useful bike I could ever hope to own.

Submitted by bugly64 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2012

Strengths:    The Surly Big Dummy combines nimbleness with large load carrying capability. The Dummy acclimates to touring better than any other cargo bike as well.

Weaknesses:    Some think it expensive. Not many color options.

Bottom Line:
The Big Dummy works well with the leasurely trip to the store or shopping for the week for a family of 6.

Best (Bullet ProoF) Wheelset for a Big Dummy (the bike not me)

Hey All, I am hoping to get some help on what types of wheels Big Dummy or Xtracycle riders have used that are durable. I am running some no name XC wheels now just to get me rolling but am wanting something that can that can take the load of a cargo bike where I don't have to worry about the whee ... Read More »

Looking for a stoker stem for 31.8 bars...Big Dummy

Hey guys... what stoker stem do you use for your Big Dummy? I'd like to get one that will fit the standard 27.2 seatpost but allow for 31.8 clamp bars. Thanks for the feedback.Read More »

Big Dummy and Krampus wheels

Guys / Girls, I did a search but came up with nothing. Has anyone tried to put a set of Krampus wheels and tyres on a BD for kicks and giggles? Ta, AlRead More »

Big Dummy Fund Raiser!

If you're in Northern Utah & you're looking for a Big Dummy, we have a BD in our silent auction (fundraiser on May 1st). You have an opportunity to pick up a BD for a good price & the money supports trail construction/advocacy. Like our FB page here: [URL="https://www.facebook.com/OgdenTrailsNetwor ... Read More »

Big Dummy Schwalbe Marathon Modial VS Big Apple

Looking to swap the current Continental town and county tires off my big dummy. Bike use: 40% dirt road 50% road riding/touring and a little single track mtn biking. I have my daughter on the back in a Yepp seat a large portion of the time also. So what are folks thoughts about the schwalbe ... Read More »