VooDoo 1999 Nzumbi Rigid Bike

4.82/5 (17 Reviews)

1999 VooDoo Nzumbi, mountain bike, non-suspension, Single Speed Mountain Bike Mix components, Rigid fork

Submitted by Pete from Santa Ana, CA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
After six years of beating my Nzumbi like a red-headed stepchild, I'm sorry to say that I snapped the top tube while jumping. I would buy another one, but Voodoo decided not to make this bike anymore. I've ordered a Surly and I hope to submit a review on that in another 5 or 6 years.
Nzumbi
1999-2005
R.I.P.

Purchased At:   The Path

Submitted by Pete from Santa Ana, CA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2004

Strengths:    Best Frame Ever Built

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I've ever ridden, I'll keep on it as long as I can. I break components, but the frame is still as solid as day one. There is nothing like a steel frame to eat up the rocks in Laguna. I did bend the stock rigid fork in the first week I had the bike and the stock BB the next, but I only paid $600 for the bike with that BB and Fork. It's too bad they stopped making this bike, i would definitely buy another one just to make sure that I could ride it forever. This bike is great for anyone who's not afraid of singlespeeding.

Purchased At:   The Path Bikeshop in Tustin

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi S.A.S.S./B.U.S.S./B.O.S.S.: Surly: Kona Unit: Spot

Bike Setup:   Judy XC, Steely Dan's on Race Face BB, Mavic 517 on Paul Rear Hub (Third Wheel on Same hub, just change bearings and axle nce a year), Mavic 517 on Shimano XC Front Hub

Submitted by michael a Cross Country Rider from berkeley

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2004

Strengths:    Agile and supple steel frame. Geometry.

Weaknesses:    None.
No longer available. :(

Bottom Line:
My favorite bike. Since purchasing it used I've upgraded everything on the bike, so basicially I paid 5 bones for the frame. Worth every dime.

I am not the youngest, nor the strongest, rider on the trail but don't care. Even when I'm gruntin' up steep stuff, I'm still smiling and laughing. Goin' down, I'm definitely smiling like an idiot -- catch me if you can. This is what riding a bicycle should feel like.

The ride of the nzumbi is an excellent example of what steel is known for, a perfect blend of rigidity and compliance. The nzumbi runs as if it's on rails, just so sweet.

I'm dreading the day when this frame finally gives up the ghost, don't eve like to think about that...I'll probably frame it and put it on a wall. I'd probably replace it with a steel frame from Kelly, Sycip, Spot, or Soulcraft.

Who should buy it: anyone wishing to ride a truly superlative example of a steel singlespeed.
Who shouldn't buy it: um, someone who prefers the stiff, uncomfortable ride of an aluminum frame(?).

Nice job Mr. Murray!

Favorite Trail:   the dirt one

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi B.U.S.S.

Bike Setup:   marathon s, king hubs and hs, xtr cranks, v-brakes, and levers, thomson stem, carbon bars, tires, tubes, and a seat to sit on...

Submitted by todd olson a Cross Country Rider from seaside,ca. usa

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2002

Strengths:    price,weight,frame and long dropouts

Weaknesses:    seat tube cluster broke off probably because of bare minimum insertion of seatpost. I am six-four and even though it is a twenty inch frame the rocking back and forth of the seatpost saddle must have weakend the cluster area

Bottom Line:
this bike was a steal. I have thousands of miles on this rig. Weekend rides. Of the top at Northstar and down Mammoth. Heck I did a 24 hour race solo on this thing. For the price this is a great value.

Favorite Trail:   corral trail,sun valley

Purchased At:   sportscenter bicycles

Similar Products Used:   i rode a bridgestone singleater setup for two years. I used to turn my cannondale into a single from time to time just for some rides

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock. koski saddle is fine but not as comfortable as the bontrager I run on the rest of my bikes. I like the steelydanz.they taper nicely not all fat looking.low profile. I like to run ritchey 2.35's. avid brakes stop you. wtb wheelset w/paul hubs still after two years

Submitted by Barney from College PArk, Md

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2001

Strengths:    Frame, no doubt. Super schweet ride, one of the smooothest steel frames i've ever ridden. Super cool dropouts, nice welds. The WTB/Paul wheelset has remained true and strong for two solid years now, 'nuff said. My favorite bike, EVER.

Weaknesses:    None. Any whining about a flexy front end can be solved by getting a REAL fork. (aka, not a 97 manitou ti or any SID) Read: Bomber/Psylo. I hammer thru rock gardens and i just don't see what all the fuss is about...

Bottom Line:
Da Kine Mon!

Purchased At:   CPBikes

Bike Setup:   Azonic riser/Marzocchi/Raceface cranks/XTR V-brakes/Chris King HS/Syncros post/WTB saddle/Tioga Factory XC 2.1/Salsa grips

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Danville,CA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2000

Strengths:    FUN,Very responsive, lightweight, cool looking, good components, easy to maintain

Weaknesses:    I will probably replace the pedals unless I use it to fool around with as a cruiser

Bottom Line:
I knew this bike was going to be a lot of fun to ride but I wasn't sure how much fun it would be. The inaugural ride was on trails with some pretty long sustained climbs which I didn't know whether I could make or not. It was a hard ride but proved to me that I can take this bike almost anywhere and ride like a mofo. The next day I rode a trail that must have been made for this bike-- tight, twisty singletrack with just some short steeps that you can power up and then hammer the rest of it. I'm looking forward to logging some serious miles on my new singlespeed and then jumping back on my Intense and seeing how much faster I ride. Also, this bike is the ticket for winter riding-- who's ever heard of chain suck on a singlespeed?

Get your own at Voodoo-cycles.com!!!

Favorite Trail:   anything cool and tight

Similar Products Used:   Tested the Nzumbi awhile back

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock except for 180mm cranks and a Judy SL which I run on my full suspension bike

Submitted by Oliver a Cross-Country Rider from Los Gatos, Ca

Date Reviewed: November 30, 1999

Strengths:
Its steel frame provides a plush ride.

Weaknesses:
Top tube felt short compared to other bikes its size or smaller.

Bottom Line:
I rode this bike at Soquel/Demo Forest and the biggest benefit was the plushness of the ride on bumps and twisty single track. The steel frame did what it was made to do, absorb shock and adjust as necessary to the harshness of the terrain. Its stock, wide riser bars were a big help on the uphill sections while the 180mm Race Face cranks provided plenty of leverage. This bike was a joy to ride.

Skeggs

tested or demo'ed only

Bianchi B.O.S.S.

Steel frame, Marzocchi z.2 BAM suspension fork, single speed

Submitted by STEVE a Cross-Country Rider from Sebastopol

Date Reviewed: September 24, 1999

Strengths:
STEEL,STEEL,STEEEL,STEEL!!!!!!

Weaknesses:
Flexy front end.

Bottom Line:
Fun, fun, fun, fun. Descent geometry, quick handling, hammerable. I've being riding this thing from crazy steep fireroads to vertical steeep single track all summer long. It handles good, very fun on techie single track. The geometry is your standard 71, 73. Out of the saddle it rides great, very little slippage. It responds well to changes in line on uphills and down. Another plus is the price. The only dis I can think of is it is a little flexy at high speeds on fireroads. Just a little twitchy. Maybe next year Voodoo will stiffen the downtube. Overall, all I can say is; Geared bike? What geared bike. Ride a single, if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger!

Mine

6 months

Hardtails, full suspension,etc.

'97 Manitou FS Ti spring

Submitted by marc a Cross-Country Rider from atlanta, ga

Date Reviewed: August 23, 1999

Strengths:
lung/leg expanding

Weaknesses:
spinning out

Bottom Line:
Ever dance with someone and they move like an epileptic frog jitter bugging in high heels on ice? Imagine cutting a rug with someone who reads your mind. Didn't follow your lead, but was right there with you simultaneously. The Nzumbi is such a partner.I outfitted my bike with a SuperFly, Race Face seatpost, handlebar, bottom bracket and Chris King headset. I promised myself I would not upgrade the bike, but it is such a honey that I felt it needed some love.My mtn. bike is a 20, but I ordered an 18 Nzumbi because I wanted it to be chuckable. I am 6'1 so I ordered the 180mm cranks, 130mm stem and a seatpost that is set back an inch.The whole combo is dreamlike. The rear of the bike is light and flickable and the SuperFly is rich and lush as pudding. I didn't feel that much slower except on the climbs; you will have to get off and run up some hills.The bike is heaven sent and hell bent. It is for the seasoned rider who is looking for additional thrills. Your friends may be faster on their 8/9 speeds, but I assure you you will be having a much better time. And that is what it is all about.

an empty one

less than 1 month

Submitted by malachi a Cross-Country Rider from san francisco, ca

Date Reviewed: July 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
an update to my earlier review...
still loving this bike. i've ben riding it only now for a while and it simply rocks. the only big change are - the bottom bracket (tioga) that came with it crapped out on me and i had to replace it. given the torque on the BB i'm not shocked though it was a lot quicker to blow out than i expected. i had to change out the rear tire as well. the racing raptor is super faxt on anything hard and solid but if it's loose climbing out of the saddle is grim.still saying it deserves the 5.

Submitted by Darrell Lee a Cross-Country Rider from Rome, GA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight, quick, STEEL!

Weaknesses:
saddle

Bottom Line:
This bike takes me back to my first rigid Stumpjumper. It has helped me to sharpen my bike handling skills, numbed somewhat by my full-suspension rig, and has provided me a quantam leap in my fitness level! It is a great climber due to the light weight, although you have to attack hills alot more than with a geared bike. The Nzumbi has become my favorite ride and I am looking forward to entering a XC race on it. I give Voodoo 5 red carrots for a job well done!

Ridgeway

none, first single speed

Thompson elite post, WTB ti saddle, RaceFace 180 cranks, 535 pedals

Submitted by Craig Dalton a Cross-Country Rider from Newport Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 1999

Strengths:
Frame, Price

Weaknesses:
Saddle, stem

Bottom Line:
This bike is a blast. I only was able to ride the bike five times before I was forced to leave it for the summer, but in those five rides I became a convert. Now everytime I ride my regular MTB, I'm dreaming of the hardcore single speeding I could be doing if I brought my Nzumbi with me. For those of you who have been riding since back in the day, this bike's for you. Remember what is was like to ride a fully rigid bike? Being forced to choose a good line rather than letting the suspension take over. This bike will bring you back and show you the future at the same time. If you have a little cash, this single speed won't disappoint!!!

Porcupine Rim, Moab, UT.

less than 1 month

Bianchi, Kona

Right out of the box, fully rigid

Submitted by malachi a Cross-Country Rider from san francisco, ca

Date Reviewed: June 25, 1999

Strengths:
fun, frame

Weaknesses:
saddle, stem

Bottom Line:
this thing rules. i haven't ridden any other bike for the last 2 and one half months. it's light, it's quick and it keeps you honest.
i find that it's best on singletrack and in the city. on some of the fireroads around here it doesn't shine quite so bright.
i really debated about adding the Judy - but one trip through tilden on a hot day and my elboss and shoulders convinced me to suck it up so i bought a closeout 98 Judy (alloy steerer) and haven't regretted it so far.

Spot, BoSS

98 Judy XC, control tech stem, easton carbon seat post, berserker ti ssaddle, profile carbon bars

Submitted by Scott a Cross-Country Rider from Danville, CA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1999

Strengths:
Responsive
Light
Fun

Weaknesses:
None I can think of

Bottom Line:
Way more fun than I thought it would be. I traded a buddy his VooDoo for my Intense Uzzi XC while riding up a fireroad climb and then continued on a stretch of cool singletrack. Talk about a change of pace! While there are some trails I wouldn't want to try riding this bike up, I know a ton of trails where it would be a scream to ride. I'm not ready to give up my full suspension bike but if I get another bike it may be this one! The feel of steel is real!!!

the ones few people knows about

tested or demo'ed only

First singlespeed I've ridden since I was a kid

Submitted by Eben Saling a Cross-Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
An update to my previous review. To put it mildly I still love this bike. I ride it every day to work and it is great for crusing around on the weekends. It is also fun for trick/light trials riding. The gearing and 180mm cranks make it a little hard to ride a good wheelie but you can do it with practice and the bike jumps and maneuvers very well. I have had fun on both dirt and pavement and am constantly suprised at the hills I can climb with a little effort. Up hills I feel faster than my 24spd as a result of having to stand up and hammer all the time. As long as I don't wear myself out I can do most rides. You really can notice the increased efficientcy of a straight chain-line and no derailluers. As for the components I was wrong about the tires, they are great and very light, on WTB's web site they have them listed as only a few grams heavier than the Kevlar version. The seat is very comfortable and the only item I will replace any time soon, beside the bars, are the grips. The WTBs are not bad but Ourys are my favorites. Five chilies once
again for a superior single speed.