Trek 2001 800 Sport Rigid Bike

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by John Francis a Cross Country Rider from Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap, affordable, and higly durable. The components are solid, durable, and easy to service and over time replace. I haev taken my fair share of spills, crashes, and fall of a ten foot overhand(note: broken arm) and the bike still keeps on moving.

Weaknesses:    The lack of a front suspension fork is apparent after a short time. I do not reccomend extended periods off road without, unless you want to ice your wrists after every ride. Also, the shifting with the grip shifters is poor, and eventual those were replaced as was pretty much the who derailure system, and rear casset to accomidate 24 speed riding. IT is also very heavy.

Bottom Line:
This bike is one of those things you buy in your youth and use till the day you die. I have ridden more expensisve bikes but the rigid steel frame and paint job just grew on me. I have ridden this bike for just about 2500 miles and I continually love every minute of it. This is an excellent bike for the first timer, or the local commuter like myself who rides all the time and wants a mantinance free, no frills bike. Naturaly as time went on I upgraded it to suite my own riding style, but I never had to bring it in to be repaired, and I never regreted the money I spent on it being that I have been able to continualy upgrade it over time as time and money allow.

Favorite Trail:   The whole Hudson Valley

Purchased At:   242.00

Similar Products Used:   Moongoosse walmart junk, Sears brand, Diamondbacks, Gts, Gary fishers.

Bike Setup:   Currently it is all Shimano Alivio drivetrain, shifters, derailures, ect. Rock Shox Judy c front suspension. El chepo Bell cyling computer.

Submitted by chris hansen a Weekend Warrior from ogden, utah, usa

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent price, decent components, good looking bike.

Weaknesses:    Its wieght.

Bottom Line:
The bike works for me because I am primarily a road biker who wanted something affordable to hit some trails with. I will definitely get out of it what I paid for it. I highly recommend it for the beginning mountain biker or for anybody who wants an affordable bike to get around with.

Favorite Trail:   bonneville shoreline

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   First mountain bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock setup

Submitted by A a Weekend Warrior from SF Bay Area

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Strengths:    looks good, nice color scheme, nice paint job, pretty good parts for the money, good quality, upright riding position, ...did I mention it looks good?

Weaknesses:    weights almost as much as my truck, sorry to whoever has to lift it onto their roof rack, cost more than comparable models by other brands, upright riding position, ...did I mention it is heavy?

Bottom Line:
The perfect bike for people who are looking for a good first bike, or for people who need a second commuter bike if they don't want to take their expensive bike to school/work and lock it up. It seems lots of thought was put into Trek's lowest model entry-level mountain bike. Its pretty good quality compared to other bikes in its class. But like I said, you pay a little more for that. (a small price to pay) Or maybe you're just paying for the name on the frame. In any case, I'm happy, and I'm gonna ride it till it breaks. Just how well and how long it lasts on rough trails ...

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   none. this is my first "real" bike

Bike Setup:   switched stock saddle for the Trek sport saddle (nice!), Zefal Doublevision headlight (terrible! don't even think about it!)

Submitted by A. Gregori a Weekend Warrior from Northern California

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2001

Strengths:    The bike shifts well, and appears to be very strong. Fit and finish is very good, compared to other bikes in its class.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, no front shock (stock)21 speed I personally don't like grip shifters.

Bottom Line:
The bike is great for the money, especially compared to department store bikes. I went in with the attitude that I wanted to build the bike up using my judgement for Components. What I seemed to notice is even if you up grade one or two levels, you still get poor shocks, and other parts.
I bought the bike as a "weekend warrior", and used this site to make my decision

Favorite Trail:   Annadel

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock

Bike Setup:   Stock grip shifters :( Manitou SX-R shocks, FSA Head, Bontrager Crow Bar, Avid Speed Dial brakes.

Submitted by Frogskins from PA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Strengths:    Great "Do I like to Mountain Bike?" bike, low cost, decent setup, upgradeable

Weaknesses:    Heavy, not for serious trail riding

Bottom Line:
I got this bike for my fiance so she could go riding with me. She wasn't really sure if she would like to mt bike, so I wasn't going to spend a ton of money to find out (The money goes into my bike :-) ) Well, it turns out she DOES like to mt bike and now I am wishing I would have at least gotten her a bike with front suspension. Overall, this bike meets or exceeds all of her expectations. It would not be a good pick for my more aggressive riding style but a perfect buy for a girl who occasional likes to bang the bumps to prove she's one of the guys.

Bike Setup:   '01 Cannondale F600 Disc

Submitted by Bryan a Weekend Warrior from Canton, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight.

Bottom Line:
Good Price, solid bike

Purchased At:   Montgomery Cycling