Trek 1999 Navigator 300 Rigid Bike

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

1999 Trek Navigator 300, mountain bike, non-suspension, Mountain Mix components, Trek fork

Submitted by irishknightny a Weekend Warrior from New England

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2011

Strengths:    This bike has taken a beating. Had it over 10 years and it has held up. The brakes finally need to be replaced. It is extremely heavy compared to the newer bikes but I don't have any frame issues some of my friends have with the new composite frames. I wish they made them like this so I can upgrade.

Weaknesses:    weight. It is pretty heavy. The handle bar pivots slightly when stepping down or climbing. Otherwise very good bike.

Bottom Line:
Best value.

Favorite Trail:   Wells State Park

Purchased At:   Spring Valley Cycles

Bike Setup:   rec

Submitted by D. Benz a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati, OH

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2001

Strengths:    Relatively lightweight, smooth rolling ride, totally relaxed posture while riding makes touring quite pleasant. Frame will take a pannier rack for touring.

Weaknesses:    Top tube could be more horizontal to the ground to allow for extra room for additional water bottle cage on seat tube.

Bottom Line:
Very, very comfortable! Remember the "fat tire" bikes of your youth? You can ride leisurely and really enjoy the scenery!

Similar Products Used:   Nishiki Optima SC; Trek mountain bike.

Bike Setup:   Sufficient for light, recreational or touring rides.

Submitted by Trent a Weekend Warrior from Utah

Date Reviewed: December 3, 1999

Strengths:
Very comfy! My wife will finally ride with me on shorter road rides. Plus, it's a Trek!

Weaknesses:
Suspension seatpost has a lot of side-play. The suspension stem is awkward for me, but I'm used to susp forks. When in the middle chainring and the large cog, the chain derails if pedaled backwards. I figure the bb axle is too long.

Bottom Line:
A great bike for road rides. Very comfy. Riding this bike makes me want to get a susp seatpost for my bike. My wife loves to ride it, and that's what matters.

Moab