Trek 1999 820 AL Rigid Bike

4.44/5 (9 Reviews)

1999 Trek 820 AL, mountain bike, non-suspension, Mountain Mix components, Trek fork

Submitted by Lemmies Mole a Weekend Warrior from Heidelberg Germany/Hudson NY

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2006

Strengths:    Solid. Takes a beating. Cr-Mo fork. Great rig to upgrade or singlespeed

Weaknesses:    Considering the bikes intended user, no real weaknesses. Wheels are kinda soft.

Bottom Line:
Good bike. Got it for free from a customer of the shop I was wrenching at. I was happy cuz my pimped-out slalom bike just got ripped off (my only MTB at the time). Responds well to upgrades. Cheap components, but besides the rims, the bike takes a beating with no complaints. I think it was only like $300 brand new. 5 chillis. Get a bike and ride it.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rock Hopper rigid, Assorted Cannondale rigids, etc. Mongoose 24" Cruiser.

Bike Setup:   Pretty stock. Beefy conti tires. XTR and Kool Stop brake pads. 18"

Submitted by David a Cross-Country Rider from Wichita KS

Date Reviewed: September 22, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff
Light
Durable

Weaknesses:
NONE

Bottom Line:
This is a great frame for beginner riders to upgrade. Mine is highly modified, and can do what ever the more expensive rigs do. It is extremely stiff and light. Climbs great too. Very durable. This is my first aluminum frame, and I have been amazed at its strength.

12 Miles of Hell

6 months

GT, Specialized, Gary Fisher

99 Judy XC
RS seat post

Submitted by Victor Da Terra a Weekend Warrior from Cambridge, Ont

Date Reviewed: August 12, 1999

Strengths:
Aluminum framing. Good base bike for upgrading.
Price

Weaknesses:
SRAM Grip Shifts

Bottom Line:
Was actually going for the 830, but the shop that I bought the bike from didn't have my size. The 820 was $100 bucks less and the RST was only $80 I figure I got a great deal.
Compared to my first bike this one is a dream.
Now my only problem is finding more time to go out and hit the trails

Shade's Mills Conservation Area

3 months

Schwinn Mesa GSX
Giant ATX 830

RST 821 Front Suspensions
Shimano Rapid Fire

Submitted by Bob a Cross-Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: July 30, 1999

Strengths:
Good value. An aluminum framed bike for $300 that is worthy of upgrading. Aheadset instead of threaded. 8 speed.

Weaknesses:
for the price - none

Bottom Line:
Great second bike for $300. I bought it for towing the kiddy trailer, family rides and some mild off road riding. I'm sure it will be able to handle the occasional thrashing, too.The frame is worthy of upgrading over the years, too. This frame is used on the Trek 4000 and 6000 per the '99 Trek catalog (19.5 inch frame size, maybe others too, compare the specs). Mine came with an Aheadset and was told by the LBS that this was a mid year change. The 820 Al bike shown in the catalog uses a threaded headset.So if you find yourself going offroad more and more with this bike buy a front shock and enjoy, it should hold up for many years.

Lebanon Hills

Schwinn Mesa LE
Specialized Hardrock

changed to a lower rise stem for a more stretched out riding position

Submitted by Charles a Weekend Warrior from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Date Reviewed: July 18, 1999

Strengths:
Light Aluminum frame for such a low price. Comfortable upright ride.

Weaknesses:
Entry level shifters, derailler etc. But they're fine for what I ride it for.

Bottom Line:
For the type of riding I do(fitness and recreational on road) it is fine and very comfortable upright fit. Very light. Good bang for the buck, I paid $306.00 at Bikes USA. Other dealers had it for $330.00 to $350.00.

Any paved road with no cars.

less than 1 month

Specialized Hard Rock: It rode nice too, but only one bike shop carried it in my area and they only had one and it was not my size.GT Outpost: Was very good quality, but did not have as upright a ride as I wanted.

19.5 inches

Submitted by Javelina a Weekend Warrior from Gilbert AZ

Date Reviewed: June 11, 1999

Strengths:
Light Weight. Price point was ideal for
an intro bike. (It also helped that Trek
was having an incentive sale for this model as well).

Weaknesses:
I fully understand that you get what you pay for. A $300.00 bike is no trail blazer. It's great for from pavement to improved trails. I love this bike, so I'm not going to say there are any eaknesses.

Bottom Line:
Great Beginners bike. Wonderful for cruising up and down the irrigation canals here
in AZ. My requirements were for a durable bike, but yet not that expensive. This one
fit the bill. I'm really enjoying riding now and I'll probably purchase another bike before the year's out. (a suspension model of some sort to try out on trails).

Arizona Canal Network

GT, Raleigh.

Submitted by Anth a Cross-Country Rider from ashburn, va

Date Reviewed: April 19, 1999

Strengths:
Very light

Weaknesses:
none that i can find yet

Bottom Line:
light weight, climbs well, upgrading seams easy, comes in black :)

Submitted by Adam a cross-country rider from Ann Arbor

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bike is alright, I test rode it against Specialized and Schwinn when I was shopping for a new ride. In the scheme of things, this bike came in a close second, but it just didn't feel as together as the Specialized did. Definitely a good starter bike for new riders though.

Submitted by Dave a weekend warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

For a throw a round bike, this ne really holds up. Lost the rigid fork and slapped on a 98 Manitou SX, new mudders, Headset & Barends. No problem keeping up with those higher priced rigs. Either the bikes a good climber, or I'm just a good rider. Good starter bike or around town curb hopper. Dont go offroad, unless you add suspension. Frame is really stiff.Give the bike 4 Chilipepper for price and a worthy TREK frame, 5 after the upgrades are added. See ya Out There.....Horse Trails!!!!!!!!