Trek 1999 800 Rigid Bike

3.8/5 (10 Reviews)

1999 Trek 800, mountain bike, non-suspension, Mountain Mix components, Trek fork

Submitted by jeff a Weekend Warrior from knoxville tn usa

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2001

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    wheels

Bottom Line:
To all you people contemplating the purchase of a Trek Bicycle I hope you read about my experience with Trek. I will try to keep this as short as possible. I purchased a brand new Trek mountain bike for my wife whom is 115 pounds and has very little experience on a bicycle. She used the bike a total of 10-15 times and never road on trails, over jumps, or go down a curb even one time. Needless to say the bike was pampered. Also, I never touched it, the bike was about nine months old and totally original with approximately 40 miles of street use. While riding on a paved Running Track at a local elementary school (that’s where we road every time) a front spoke broke. As a result of the broken spoke the front rim twisted so badly that when the bent portion of the rim came in contact with the front brake, the wheel locked and threw my wife over the handlebars. It was not pleasant watching my wife flip over the handlebars, screaming until she hit the asphalt. When she landed her screams turned to cries. As a result of the accident she broke her arm near the elbow. I contacted Trek Bicycles and spoke to Wade McGuire and he assured us that Trek would help and asked what they could do. Wade asked us to send a copy of all medical bills so they could compensate us. Within three months all medical treatment was complete and I sent Trek a certified letter with the bills enclosed for their review. Since that time the people at Trek never responded despite three certified letters, one sent directly to the president of the company.

As of this time (10 months after the accident) Trek has not offered to compensate us for medical bills, let alone offer to repair the bicycle. We were totally ignored by the company. I would like for everyone who reads this to avoid this situation and I leave your bike purchase decision to you. As far as my wife is concerned, she is OK but terrified of riding. To reassure her I purchased a new set of wheels from Colorado Cyclist and they have performed flawlessly. Now that you have heard about our experience with Trek Bicycles, you can consider yourself informed as to the type of company (people) you will be dealing with.

PS I forwarded this letter to them and there was no response.

Purchased At:   cedar bluff cycles

Submitted by Drewpy a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Strengths:    Solid Frame. Light for steel. Turns well. Great overall for the price.

Weaknesses:    SRAM 5.0 derailer sucks.

Bottom Line:
Can't beat it for the money. The 800 sport is just not the same. If you want something similar and can't find the 800, the Specialized Hardrock is a close match. It also comes stock with Shimano derailer. For about the same price, you can get the Raleigh with front suspension. I opted for the Trek because I was looking for a rigid ride. I ride street and trail and the shocks on the low-end suspension bikes can't be turned off, only adjusted. Shocks are great but don't let anyone talk you in to anything you don't want. If you do want the shocks, you can also check out the Schwinn Mesa. I really like the ride but it runs about $75 more.

Favorite Trail:   V arious local trails

Purchased At:   Grenada Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   None-cheap HEAVY mtb

Bike Setup:   Stock - profile bar ends, Mity 3

Submitted by Vaughn engler a Downhiller from moraga

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Strengths:    this is the best bike ever. I did a 20 foot drop on this bad boy and nothing broke. I really suggest getting the 99 jett c as an upgrade. I got these great shimano stx-rc parts that can withstand anything you throw at it.

Weaknesses:    what are you talking about???? there isnt anything bad on this machine.

Bottom Line:
the best freeride bike ever!! all you have to do is add a jett c.

Favorite Trail:   lime ridge

Purchased At:   factory direct (im sponsored)

Similar Products Used:   Karpiel Armageddon

Bike Setup:   shimano stx-rc

Submitted by David Shabat a Cross Country Rider from Macon

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
After reading your other reviews, I have to let you know that I have taken on and won over 40 sanctioned races - mostly against highly-tricked out full-suspension aluminum and even carbon fiber bikes. And MY 800 is a 1993 model I bought while in college. Probably the same people I beat while running in my 1991 Asics Gel-Lyte running shoes. Some people seem to think the equipment sets limitations on the athlete. . . I guess the advertising companies are doing a great job. I have ridden one bike with suspension and it was while riding down a gorge in Vermont. Suspension is cool but by no means a necessity - even for winning real mountain bike races.

Favorite Trail:   Still Butler Pond in NY

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop, Queensbuy, NY

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from Georgia

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2001

Strengths:    Price, durable, good low end mountain bike.

Weaknesses:    Shifting, shifting, and more shifting. I constantly have problems with the bike not shifting quickly enough on trails. After awhile of riding my seat keeps sliding down. The breaks coudln't leave a skid mark if i wanted to.

Bottom Line:
The is a great bike for someone who rides occasionally or is starting to mountain bike. Don't expect it to keep up to your expectations if you plan on doing intense riding and DEFINATELY not racing. If wouldn't be fun for you or the bike! Overall i enjoyed my bike. It is still ticking away. I bought it in 1995! I had to post this even though its for 2000 model. You know if the 1995 model held up so will the 2000.

Favorite Trail:   McIntosh Reserve

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana

Submitted by Mike Kronschnabel a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, Nebraska

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2001

Strengths:    quick turning, very well balnced with a rock solid frame, price, overall feel, 24 speed helps on varied terrain

Weaknesses:    shifting IS slow, seat post slips some in rougher terrain

Bottom Line:
Started riding 3 years ago after decades out of the saddle, so I wanted something not real pricey, but solid. Something I could build on. This has been the perfect bike for getting back into riding. It works well everywhere I've tried street, trail and through plenty of snow and ice both on and off road. Other than the shifting being a hassle at times, this has been a great bike. Very well balanced, responsive steering, decent brakes - it all adds up to a great first (in a long while) bike.

Favorite Trail:   still searching

Purchased At:   the Bike Rack

Similar Products Used:   None, unless you count my 1974 Sears Free Spirit 10 speed "English Racer"... (yes it still rides well!)

Bike Setup:   Stock from the shop plus climbing bars, and a lighting system.

Submitted by Tim McPhail a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2000

Strengths:    good solid frame, excellent value for money, lookes good, too

Weaknesses:    Shifting is a little slow, brakes aren't too good

Bottom Line:
Good for beginners. upgrade to a better bike if you want to do some serious riding. front suspension could improve on the performance

Submitted by Mark B a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City, KS

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2000

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Shifting (Altus front der. SRAM 5.0 rear der. Could be they aren't adjusted correctly.

Bottom Line:
I love the look and feel of the bike. This is my first bike since my grade school days. I'm not into serious mountian biking but only street and lite trails. I've used it on a couple of 12 mile rides and had the best time while getting exercise and rehabing a broken leg. I look to have this bike for the next few years and then upgrade to another TREK, maybe a 6000 but I think I'll always keep this great starter bike. Other starter bikes may rate a better value but I wanted the TREK and was able to get it during a 99 close out sell for $250.

Submitted by David Shabat a Weekend Warrior from Macon, GA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2000

Strengths:    DURABILITY.

Weaknesses:    None. Every machine has limitations. Learn to deal with these and you will appreciate fancier bikes as you become a better rider.

Bottom Line:
This is THE starter bike.
If you are a beginner and want suspension, you are falling prey to advertising. Learn to ride, get the techniques down. Then, move up to bikes that extend the skills you've acquired. Starting with a high-end bike won't make you a high end rider.
This is also a good trainer/beater if purchased used. You can kill this bike - but, you'd break three fancy bikes in the time you'd kill one of these heavyweights.
The thumbshifting isn't that great. The brakes aren't the best. But, it is a great bike for learning technique and maintaining an accomplished rider's strength.

Favorite Trail:   Trails to Butler Pond, Queensbury NY