Schwinn 2000 Sierra GSX Rigid Bike

mountain bike, non-suspension, Mountain Mix components, Schwinn fork

Submitted by Beautiful Man from NYC

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2001

Strengths:    Solid and dependable for a low price.

Weaknesses:    Seat not to my taste, suspension post not firm enough for my 200 lbs (bottoms out). Shifting not as crisp as I'd want, but on par for price.

Bottom Line:
I have a 2000 Sierra 700 "Special Edition" which was a limited edition not in the standard line (but very similar except for a couple components and nice paint job). I use this bike mostly to commute to work, 25 miles roundtrip through NYC about twice a week, and an occassional weekend tour. I've been riding road bikes for 20+ yrs, but they weren't rugged enough to withstand this trip, were less safe in the traffic, and were jarring on the bad pavement. Went with something cheap to see if I like the change. I do. This bike is comfortable. It's been reliable. I can't ride as fast mph-wise on road bikes, but I don't have to slow down for minor hazzards and can pick through traffic more easily, so my time is still about the same. Plus I have way, way fewer flats. I find the gearing to be a bit lower than ideal for me, but not horribly so. Upgraded derailuers would be nice. The brakes are pretty cheap, but somehow they still manage to stop extremely well, so a pleasant surprise. I like the tires better than those that come on the Trek 700 series. This bike is similar to other entry-level hybrids from the good manufacturers, and just as good, but it's a bit less expensive, perhaps due to the lack of cache the Schwinn name carries today. Really nothing to complain about for this price. I'll probably spend more money when I replace it, but at this price level I'd definitely be glad to buy another one.

Purchased At:   Metro

Similar Products Used:   Demo'd similar models from Trek and others. Extensive road bike miles.

Bike Setup:   Standard except for pedals and added accessories.

Submitted by C. a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles,CA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent upgrades for about the same price as the current 2001 Sierra 700 base-model (at $280) and for only $100 more than a Specialized Hardrock (26" wheels). The frame is a high-quality alumimum ("ride-tuned design"); chromoly fork (better than high-tensile steel); upgraded shifter, derailleurs, crankset, headset & rims; excellent and WTB tires. Adjustable stem, saddle and suspension post are decent.

Weaknesses:    Schwinn, as usual skimiped on the front & rear hubs - insetad they really should put on Shimano LX (or better) hubs on all their bikes. The brakes are cheap-o Tektro cast-aluminum parts that I will upgrade with the Koski brakeset that I took off of my Schwinn Moab 1.

Bottom Line:
This bike was definitely worth buying for $300. At its price point, it is a good bike "as-is"; any component upgrades would still be w very orthwile since it is a high-quality frame/fork. Overall quality is excellent but PLEASE TAKE OFF THE STUPID "SIERRA" LABELS STUCK ON THE TOP TUBE WITH DOUBLE-SIDED TAPE!

Favorite Trail:   Commute to work