Motiv 2001 Ground Pounder Rigid Bike

4.1/5 (29 Reviews)

Submitted by aplasmen a Weekend Warrior from san jose ca

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2010

Strengths:    For a Non professional rider like me. This bike can do everything I need.

Weaknesses:    I could not find any so far.

Bottom Line:
I think for 25.00 bucks I can not ask for more. Plus it has full suspension. I found just few scratches on it.
May be if I were a Professional biker I could ask for more, but Im not. The good benefit is after 3 months riding this bike, I have not complaints at all. May be when I will ready to the next Olympics in London I will need and buy a carbon one. Meanwhile I ride this good bike just for fun, nothing else!
and Way be I can make some profit in the future for selling it for 50.00 bucks for bike collectors..!

Favorite Trail:   parks and trails

Purchased At:   flea market

Submitted by Ed a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2007

Strengths:    After more than 10 years, so far so good, but I admit I don't abuse it or ride it all that much.

Weaknesses:    Kind of heavy.

Bottom Line:
It's served me fairly well for 10 years now and has never broken down. Then again, I don't jump it or race it or do anything hardcore with it. Do mostly easy trails a few times a year and ride around the neighborhood on occasion. Was able to keep up with my buds on more expensive bikes, too. Also, mine is so old it did not come with shocks. And yes, I paid about $130 or so back then. Guess prices have gone up over time.

Favorite Trail:   public trails

Purchased At:   Costco more than 10 yrs ago

Similar Products Used:   Trek 800 - rode pretty good, too.

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock

Submitted by C K a Cross Country Rider from NYC

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2004

Strengths:    components, saddle, toughness, bang for the buck. This bike is tough!

Weaknesses:    cheap tires, short seat post (I'm 6'0), heavy

Bottom Line:
i have literally beat the crap out of this thing and it aint broke yet. quit cryin' about the seatpost being short, folks....you've bought a workhorse for less than $400. once you break the doofy reflectors off, chuck the kickstand, slap some decent tires on this bad boy and get it good and dirty you're actually better off than some goof riding his 'dale with his flashy shirt. if you're keeping up with the pack on their $1000 rigs, you'd be whizzing by if this thing didn't weigh 34 lbs. Then again, your legs are probably a hell of a lot stronger for it.

Favorite Trail:   the ol' railroad ROW

Purchased At:   the 'co

Similar Products Used:   trek

Bike Setup:   stock w/ shimano stuff, mozo fork, proman brakes, etc....

Submitted by Tom Everroad a Downhiller from Santa Clarita, CA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    aluminum frame, good drivetrain, cheap, 24 speed, shimano cranks and hubs, cheap, very sturdy, has the nicest saddle I've ever riden, did i mention it was cheap

Weaknesses:    stock tires didn't grip, stock fork was very short on travel and too flexible, gripshifters are not my favorite, no sealed bearings, seatpost is a little short- but so am I, pedals could be grippier

Bottom Line:
After my modifications, I still have a super tight freeride bike for under $600. What more needs to be said.

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth Mtn. Bike Park

Similar Products Used:   Scott, Gary Fisher, KHS

Bike Setup:   I swithed the stock forks for a RockShox Psylo SL and the stock tires for some WTB's and it handles beautifully. I switched the pedals for some 15- pin bmx platform pedals so I don't slip so many pedals and save my shins.

Submitted by Andy Goetz a Weekend Warrior from Hopatcong, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Strengths:    Motiv gave me a free long seat post to allow proper leg extension while seated. They also gave me a free rear derailleur mounting bracket when mine freakishly got bent by a branch that tangled into my chain/cog in the woods. This bike has good componentry (Alivio, adjustable Mozo front and adjustable rear shocks). It has been fully reliable thus far. I added an SRAM 13-32 tooth rear cog for $30. I like to ride up steep roads. Hopatcong has big hills, and the 32 tooth rear cog made going up the steepest roads almost easy. The brakes are superior to first and second generation brakes. This bike has the best bang for the buck that is available here in New Jersey. The latest Motiv with the vertical rear shock is even better, but costs $75 more. Your comfort level while riding in the woods is superior to a hardtail or solid framed bike. This is a perfect exercise or training bike. The brakes are superior. A Motiv solid framed bike was so good that I knew this one would be even better. I got mine on sale for $50 off normal price. I went right along with serious woods riders on this bike and was limited only by my legs. The frame is guaranteed for life, so even if it breaks, they will give you a new one.

Weaknesses:    A 7005 aluminum frame is slightly heavier than a 6061 or 7075 aluminum frame, but is slightly more flexible for more comfort. I really have not detected any weaknesses in this bike. It has been fine thus far.

Bottom Line:
You are not going to win the race on Saturday with this bike, but you can go with the winner and get back home. It is fully reliable in the woods and is limited only by your legs. Enjoy your bargain and upgrade it later if and when something breaks. You can get good on this bike and then spring the big bucks for something more expensive later once you can appreciate it. A serious rider that rides a carbon fiber Trek hardtail wants to borrow mine for a race. He was really surprised how nice this rides. It goes right up the steepest roads around and is great for training or exercise purposes. On downhills, it goes as fast as you are crazy and soaks up the bumps extremely well, with a lot less vibration on your hands and rear end.
Motiv gets 5 Flamin' Chilis also for their excellent courteous service. My ratings are based on the cost of the bike. The Motiv Groundpounder's Value and Overall rating considering the price are unbeatable anywhere and are definitely 5 Flamin' Chilis. Two other people bought these based on my advice and are also very happy with theirs.

Favorite Trail:   Kittatinny State Park, Byram, NJ

Purchased At:   Costco

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose full suspension bike, Fuji full suspension bike, Trek hardtail, Fuji hardtail, Bontrager hardtail, Giant hardtail, Motiv solid framed bike.

Bike Setup:   Set shocks to hard setting, 24 speed, 7005 Aluminum frame, 2.10 x 26 knobby tires, 13-32 tooth rear cog, front adjustable Mozo shock, rear adjustable shock, Alivio and Mozo componentry.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Gilbert, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Strengths:    Good, confortable, low-maintenance, durable bike with few problems and a great price. Equipped decent - adequate components, good tires, strong frame, grip shift, and climbing bars. It even comes with reflectors and a kick stand! (Which I leave on of course to annoy my hardcore riding friends... and so that I NEVER have to lay my bike down)

Weaknesses:    Mediocre suspension adjustment(at times too soft), frame size not best fit (did not have choice at Costco), I didn't recognize Motiv name brand. A little heavier than "Pro" bikes, but hey I'm not a "Pro" and wouldn't really know the difference.

Bottom Line:
Great bang for the buck! Excellent if you are on a budget but want to get into a full suspension bike and start riding. I ride with guys with $1k to $3k bikes, and not only do I keep up (and often leave them behind), my bike is the only one that hasn't had any major "problems" (knock on wood!). I plan on racing soon, and may upgrade at some point, but this is an awesome "training" bike. I now ride hard and often (2-3 times/week), take challenging rides, and my bike takes a good beat'n but keeps on tick'n. When it comes to performance, I'm a believer that its "the rider", and not "the bike" (unlike many enthusiasts who emphasize or praise their equipment), but this bike is a great workhorse and was affordable enough to allow me to get started and excited about mountain biking. I would recommend to anyone looking for a bike to get started with, but suffers the sticker shock (and resulting discouragement)one gets when visiting a bike shop.

Favorite Trail:   Hawes Loop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, GT, Mongoose

Bike Setup:   Stock, added toe clips

Submitted by Joe P a Weekend Warrior from Miami

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2002

Strengths:    Inexpensive, great customer service, easily upgradeable.

Weaknesses:    Rather heavy (apprx. 34 lbs.), Motiv's website has been "under construction" for over a year.

Bottom Line:
When I first saw this bike, it blew me away. The frame design was a copy of more expensive brands like GT and Giant but without the accompanying high price. I came to this website and read some of the reviews. I was astonished by how many bike snobs there are out there. I am not a fan of grip shifters, so I raplaced them right away w/ acera ez fire's. I went ahead and replaced the rear derailer w/ acera's & in the process, I chewed up the thread of the rear suspension frame. No problem, because Motiv had designed the rear suspensin frame so that the rear derailer is attached to a seperate subframe. I called the 1-800 # that's listed on the bike, & spoke to someone who was courteous & helpful. He sent the replacement part at no charge.

This bike is not a downhill ride, it is not marketed that way. This bike is for folks who ride light trails and jump curbs in suburban areas.

Favorite Trail:   The Hammocks

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose

Bike Setup:   Stock, except Shimano Acera EZ Fire shifters and rear derailer.

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Woodinville, WA USA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Strengths:    I have recently just gotten into biking and this is a great bike that has everything a weekend warrior will ever need for the money.

Weaknesses:    The seat post is too short, but besides that the only bad thing about this bike is the poor job of assembly done by the costco employees. Once I the gears/shifter were tuned it ran beautifully.

Bottom Line:
No better bike on the market for the price.

Purchased At:   Costco

Similar Products Used:   older no suspension mountain bikes.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by William Veltheim a Weekend Warrior from Plant City

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2002

Strengths:    rugged and takes a beating

Weaknesses:    original saddle, Lacks snob appeal

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great bike for the money the frame is welded nicely and everything works well. I have dumbed, bumped and ground this thing and it still works fine. The only problem is that it is heavy. I agree with the others that the only thing that is really lacking is snob appeal. I have looked at upgrading but in order to get an equal bike I would have to pay twice the money. So until Im ready to spend 4 times as much Ill just hang on.

Purchased At:   SAMS CLUB

Similar Products Used:   Tried the raleigh, and one of the scwinns

Bike Setup:   standard

Submitted by Amit a Weekend Warrior from San Leandro CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2002

Strengths:    Very good value for money.

Weaknesses:    Servicing at bike shops is expensive

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price that I have paid.
Have gone around looking for bikes that I should upgrade to from this, haven't yet found one that is as much value for money.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Chabot

Similar Products Used:   Vertical and other Target/K.Mart Store bikes

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, FL

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2002

Strengths:    Generally very nice for around town and the few easy trails I've ridden. For my first full suspension bike I think this was the best choice. Definitely didn't want to blow $400+ on a bike I wasn't sure I wanted. Used to ride hard until a couple of major injuries and general laziness kept me off for awhile. Now I'm ready to get back and excited about all of the stuff on the high end bikes. Especially the full suspension bikes. Kind of a fluke I found this at just the same time I was shopping all of the dealerships because I normally don't even look at bikes at Target or Wal-Mart, I just detoured down the wrong aisle at Costco and this thing blew me away. Researched it on the 'Net before I bought it and these reviews were a big part of my decision to buy. I can't wait to take it out on some of the harder trails around and I just heard of a mountain bike park a little ways up north (Sanford, I think) that's really challenging. Hoody Hoo!

Weaknesses:    This really pissed me off, but I had to have the company send me a longer seat post! Per Frank at Customer Service, the seat post is "a little shorter than normal" (He wouldn't agree that it was 'shorter than standard' or 'sub-standard' so that's his direct quote) and that this was exactly what the bike came with and Motiv didn't carry anything different. He tried to direct me to an outside company or my local bike shop to get a regular seat post at an additional cost of $25! Of course, I wasn't happy with that and eventually he agreed to send me a standard seat post (which happened to be lying around, even though Motiv doesn't carry them - a "demo seat post" (though it looks like it was never used)) after I told him I'd be posting my thoughts to some of the review sites on the 'Net. Got it in two days. But why a $250 bicycle with name brand hardware doesn't come with a seat post the correct length is outrageous! Don't get me started on how company's take advantage of the common consumer.

Bottom Line:
I would have to say that I'm probably the target market for this bike. I'm 29, 5' 10", 240lbs (mostly muscle - no lie!) Haven't ridden in a while, just getting back into trail riding, need some around town transportation & don't mind spending the money on something that will be a good starter bike. But reading around these reviews it looks like I couldn't have found a better bike, even at a higher cost. I've taken it off-road a bit to see if I still have my 'trail legs' and I've been generally impressed. The one thing that really bugged me, though, was the "a little shorter than normal" (per Frank at Motiv Customer Support - Hi, Frank :P ) seat post and the hassle of getting one the correct length! Be aware: This is a 'HIDDEN COST' of the bike! There's absolutely no reason that a $250 bike shouldn't come with a seat post of normal length! And then to have the Customer Service rep give me a crock about Motiv not providing normal length posts until I threatened that I would review the bike and expose this fault - as I am :) - before he'd finally send it to me - This was like a 30 minute call and I almost didn't think I'd get this type of resolution. It may not be possible to do it again.
Anyway - generally a great purchase. I can't see why they don't provide all of the necessary equipment, but if you don't mind spending an additional $25 or so just to get it up to spec, then don't hesitate to purchase it. My buddy I mentioned above is still impressed "My bike doesn't even have that!" Can't find a better deal anywhere. Hopefully this will last long enough for me to get used to full suspension on the trails before I upgrade (if I even have to!). Great buy! Rated down a point on each rating for the seat post hassle.

Favorite Trail:   Street (for now)

Purchased At:   Costco

Similar Products Used:   Nothing - Just getting back into riding, but I have a friend who practically lives on his bike and he was very impressed by the hardware - shocks and shifters - and the feel of the bike, that he's considering this as his next bike! Believe me, that's quite a recommendation (he used to work at a bike shop).

Submitted by Tran-Shawn a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2002

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    everything. off brand shox. the rear shock bounces to much and the front spring is to weak.

Bottom Line:
this is not a good bike. go to a bike shop and buy a real bike not a toy. can't upgrade because all the parts aren't like name brand parts except for the gears and deraileur. Don't Buy this bike.

Purchased At:   costco

Similar Products Used:   giant, gt

Bike Setup:   stock. bad

Submitted by PANHEAD a Weekend Warrior from LONG BEACH

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Strengths:    This is one comfortable mustha,mines the motiv rockpoint.
cruises over curbs, steps, hills & everything else in the
way.. has great frame and paint with good ergo's. Spin's right up to decent speed in the blink of an eye. Is heavy but geared to where you really could care less. Bought two
one for my friend. She is a desk jockey and is still breathing thru her nose after eight miles. Basically this
bike was a steal and we are overjoyed. Oh yeah, the fisher
riders were totally profiling (and parked) and of course
never saw us ride within 2 feet of them!!! Dig the deal!!!

Weaknesses:    steering stem has no up/down adjustment.

Bottom Line:
Slightly scratched, fully warrantied MTB for $80.00. with
really great feel. Dual shocks, rocks. Can U say sold?

Favorite Trail:   SUMMIT

Purchased At:   THE FACTORY

Similar Products Used:   american eagle, cannondale.

Bike Setup:   stock, looks like a grasshopper on steroids.

Submitted by Daniel Moreno a Cross Country Rider from Monterey,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Strengths:    Full suspension. Nice price. Nice brakes. Nice shifting. Its got some brand name components. It can handle a lot of rough terrain.

Weaknesses:    Back shock doesnt work the greatest, unless your pretty heavy.The back shock is kinda heavy. The front of the bike tends to pop up while climbing steep hills. Considered a department store bike.

Bottom Line:
You cannot find a better bike in this price range. If you wanna show of a bike that you spent a lot of money on, dont get this. If you wanna ride and have fun and dont care about brand names, get this. Ive taken this bike through a whole lot and so far it still handles like new. Whoever said this bike has cheap welds, tell me, have u breakin one yet? I didnt think so. And hey, if you did, call up Motiv and they will give you another one for free. GREAT BIKE!!! (I gave it a four for overall rating just because its not a major name brand bike)

Favorite Trail:   Any that are muddy

Purchased At:   Costco

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale...but I dont think thats simular, though I know i can tear them up on this bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock for now.

Submitted by kevin A a Weekend Warrior from La Canada

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Strengths:    decent at every thing it's supposed to do! good bang for the buck!

Weaknesses:    The name will through up tight extreme bikers who expect to pay a grand for a bike! I wish there was an easier way to oil the shocks. Some miner gear slippige.

Bottom Line:
I like his bike, my brother who spent a thousand dollars on his doesnt, but i still beat him on the trails! The suspension makes things managable enough to enjoy your experiance. I'm glad i didnt waist more money on a entery level bike, this one is fine! but dont expect to impress people who enjoy showiong off how much money they spent on their name brand modles.

Favorite Trail:   cherry canyon owl trail

Purchased At:   costco