Mongoose 1999 SX 4.3 Rigid Bike

1999 Mongoose SX 4.3, mountain bike, non-suspension, Mountain Mix components, Mongoose fork

Submitted by ernie a Cross Country Rider from los angeles, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2002

Strengths:    I

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up... Well, I slapped on XT Vee brakes, LX brake levers, Mavic 221 rims w/ XT hubs, Michellin Wildgrippers tires, changed the flat bar to a riser bar, swapped the GripShift to Shimano Deore rapidfires ,added a Specialized stem, installed a cheap Aheadset headset and Rockshox Jett SL to this inexpensive bike. I bought most of the parts from mail order so I saved at least 35%. But left the original derailleurs and crankset
on the bike since they worked fine. Now this bike handles & looks like a $1000 hardtail.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Station

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh, P.A.-U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2002

Strengths:    Solid frame, strong welds, cool geometry... low standover height (19" frame), good paint job (yellow powder coat).

Weaknesses:    None found in over 2-1/2 seasons of usage.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike as frame only in January, 2000. Starting to use it for 3rd. season. After using various Rock-Shox fork set-ups, settled on Marzoochi Z-4 air. The 80mm setting gives it a 12-3/4" BB height and somewhat relaxed headtube angle... not too bad on climbs, but awesome on descents! Use a Tru-Vativ bash-guard in place of 44 ring... able to roll over vicious log piles. The down tube is tri-angular and massive! I've ridden it hard, crashed it plenty... and it's held up well. I'll keep it 'til it won't roll anymore, and then keep it some more. In the mean time, I'm building a FS... as a play-mate. If you can still find one (complete bike or frame), buy it... it makes a good thrashing rider.

Favorite Trail:   Boyce Park-all trails

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Raleigh.

Bike Setup:   All Shimano XT drive train, Mavic 221 rims w/Deore hubs, Mich. xls/front-s tires, Avid brakes/levers, Thompson seatpost, Titec "Big Al" stem, Monkey lite risers, Tru-Vativ cranks, T.H.E. fenders, 2001 Marzocchi Z-4 air fork (80mm).

Submitted by Ernie a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2002

Strengths:    Nice frame geometry, I bought the blue one. I never ever saw a bike with such a cool paint job. Its metallic deep blue with reflecting blue paint.
Awesome! Like a custom hotrod paint job.
Its a bike that rides well on the road and off. A no brainer bike that shifts smoothly, brakes well and damn it, looks really nice.

Weaknesses:    Cheap Suntour crankset--42/34/24...? 24 tooth granny?
Chromoly "bone shattering" front fork
Weimann rims and generic tires
Plastic pedals...whats up with that?

Bottom Line:
I own other bikes sitting in my garage that cost waaaay more than this hunk of aluminum. But what caught my eye was this unusual frame, the kickass paint job and the honest, in-your-face ride that you get. With the exception of the ProMax brakes, the parts were not exactly catching any attention, but the bike is reasonably priced enough so you can bolt-on choice parts in the future as many of the other reviewers said. One another thing is that its a Mongoose, a bike that isn't seen as much on the trail as a Trek, Cannondale, Gt, Specialized or Giant. But its made just as well, I know, I have those other brands! See ya on the trail.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Station

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Mesa GS, Specialized HardRock, Trek 800 Sport

Bike Setup:   In the near future:
LX brakes, levers and XT rear derailleur and shifters. Mavic 222 rims, XT hubs and Michellin "WildGripper" tires.....and
Manitou or RockShox fork--Judy or X Vert
Orbit FSA headset and Titec stem.

Submitted by drake armstrong a Weekend Warrior from san mateo ca

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2002

Strengths:    light weight looks good and rides and handels great for the money

Weaknesses:    needs shocks and better saddle and seat post

Bottom Line:
for the money you cant beat it all it needs is some upgrades to taylor your needs

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   bikers world Montana

Similar Products Used:   schwins

Bike Setup:   rock shock judys,wtb gel saddle,kore seat post,sun ringle zuzu flat pedals

Submitted by Chris Carroll a Weekend Warrior from Red Hook NY USA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight, exelent handling, smooth and quick on the pavement

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the cash. I use it mostly on pavement and dirt roads. It is nice and agile, and responds when you need it to. Not for the hardcore trailriders, but for someone who does a mixed amount of riding on and off road. It needed minor brake adjustments after about 40miles, but what new bikes don't? I love it, it lives up to the mongoose name.

Purchased At:   Dicks sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Manuver

Bike Setup:   just a speedo

Submitted by Ben Sloan a Weekend Warrior from Chicopee, MA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
this is my follow up. I do like it better with the suspension forks. It's still a good bike, but if your reading this before buying it (as I didn't) do your self a favor check out a Gary Fisher Wahoo, It costs about the same as is 20 times better. I wish I had.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Bike Setup:   I put Rock Shox Jett XC forks and a aheadset on it

Submitted by Al from Pa

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2000

Strengths:    This bike is very light in weight, good rims, brakes, and shifts pretty good. And the price was right. Rides very smooth on the road.

Weaknesses:    Had to adjust the componets. Hey but you have to do that with all bikes. Your not ride off a cliff. I may want to add shocks.

Bottom Line:
Hey this bike is very well made bike, I've never had any problems with it and it is worth every penny I spent on it.
Plus it is MONGOOSE, it's has a neame brand.

Similar Products Used:   Any mountain bike in that price range.

Bike Setup:   none

Submitted by Ben Sloan a Weekend Warrior from Chicopee, MA USA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive light wieght. I got it new for under $200

Weaknesses:    No suspension,

Bottom Line:
I got a great deal on a Good Bike. It's no down hiller, but it rides great, and once I put on those shox I'm sure I'll like it even more. Worth the few bucks I spent on it.