Kona 2000 Kaboom Rigid Bike

4.57/5 (23 Reviews)

Kona, Shimano components, Mavic X221 rims.

Submitted by Geoff King a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2006

Strengths:    Light, strong, fun

Weaknesses:    Doesn't come with health dept. warning for possible results of excessive mtbing enjoyment.

Bottom Line:
Riding the Kaboom is the most fun I have had on a bike in years. I got into single speeding recently as a way of avoiding a midlife crisis (impending 4oth birthday) and when I saw this bike for sale via the internet, I jumped at the chance to own YET ANOTHER BIKE (direct quote from my wife!) Have not regretted it since. Still enjoy riding my much more expensive full suspension rig on longer cross-country and esp. hilly epics, but nothing compares with the fun factor of blasting around some flat (ish) local single track on the Kona, and passing younger people on much more expensive bikes. Sure, the fillings in my teeth get rattled around by a frame that has absolutely no give in it, but the surprising thing is that I probably ride faster nonetheless. It's certainly turning me into a more aggressive rider when climbing, and also honing my technical skills (and sense of what I can ride over without suspension and minimal to no use of brakes.) Am now an enthusiastic advocate of 'the power of one'.

Favorite Trail:   Queen Charlotte Track

Purchased At:   Secondhand

Similar Products Used:   None - first Single speed experience

Bike Setup:   Easton EA 70 riser bars, Ritchey WCS stem,Race Face Good n Evil grips, Thomson post, WTB Rocket V saddle, Deore hubs, Spec Enduro 2.1 tyres, Mavic rims, 42 T Salsa front ring, 16T rear, Syncros Anniversary cranks, Time World Cup pedals, SRAM chain, LX v brakes and Deore levers, Hope seat collar, headset, Kona project 2 front fork (rigid Cromo). - weight sub-20 pounds.

Submitted by Danmanbiker a Racer from Ahwatukee, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight, stiff, Glow-in-the-Dark Decals, and BMX-like fun on a mountain bike!!

Weaknesses:    Aluminum frame, harsh feel over rough stuff, doesn't flex or "give" like my Reynolds 853 geared frame.

Bottom Line:
This bike is F-U-N!!! I bought this bike because I was getting bored of riding the local trails near my house on my geared bike. The simplicity and low maintenance of a singlespeed also appealed to me. I thought a singlespeed would add some challenge to my rides.
The bike weighs in at around 20lbs, which is pretty light even for a singlespeed. The gearing is a 39T chainring and 18T cog, leavingit at a 2.11 gear ratio. I will probably in the future change it out to a 34/18 or 34/18 gearing to facilitate the steep climbs in my area. I also like that Kona has gone back to making steel singlespeeds with the 2002 Kona Unit. I eventually want to upgrade my frame to either a Unit, Gunnar Ruffian, or On-One Inbred.
The ride at first took some getting used to, since my geared bike is a Reynolds 853 frame with some flex and give. The aluminum was a little rough going over bumps, but the Judy SL helped solve that problem. The frame is a 16", which was a pretty small for me. My geared is a 17.5", and I felt like I was riding an oversized BMX bike. This added to the fun of the ridem making it very manueverable and accellerating like a jackrabbit. The first two rides I took, I torqued the chain so hard I broke it, leaving em to walk home from the trail. Other than this, I have had no other problems.

I have rode several times with friends on their geared bikes, and they're always supprised at how fast I can ride even with one gear. I love the look on riders faces when I pass them and they realized I have 23-26 fewer gears on my bike! I think I might even get into racing on the local level on the singlespeed, and really try to podium. I think I 'll probably do better in a singlespeed race than I would in a geared race! Overall, I think everyone should have a singlespeed in their quiver of bikes, so JOIN THE REVOLUTIONS!

Favorite Trail:   A Dirt One....

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   None (this is my first singlespeed)

Bike Setup:   Al Kona Kaboom frame, 2002 Rock shox Judy SL fork, Spot rear freehub, Redline cranks, Titec handlebar, Avid brakes, the rest is mostly stock.

Submitted by JUAN a Cross Country Rider from MIAMI

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2002

Strengths:    SIMPLE, BUT STRONG, NICE FLAT BLACK COLOR & CHROME COMBO LOOKS TOUGH.

Weaknesses:    FOR THE PRICE, I'M STILL LOOKING FOR ONE?

Bottom Line:
I USE THIS BIKE AT MY LOCAL TRAILS AND MOCK ALL THE GEARED UP ROADY/M.T.BIKER HALF BREEDS. IT WILL HOME IN YOUR SKILLS AND THE MOST SURPRISING DISCOVERY WAS HOW MUCH MEGA FUNNN THIS BIKE IS, YES RIGID AND SS SPEED. THE KONA KABOOM,MY CHEAPEST BIKE, IS THE ONE I'M ENJOYING THE MOST. THE FUN FACTOR IS = TO MY MUCHO MONEY BULLIT(DON'T GET ME WRONG IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE BIKE IN ALL THE WORLD IT WOULD BE MY BULLIT) BUT THE JOY I GET IS = TO THE KABOOM!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   MARKHAM

Purchased At:   FRITZ

Similar Products Used:   I OWN: SANTA CRUZ BULLIT, SPECIALIZED SUSP. M4 S WORKS, KONA JAKE THE SNAKE, OLD SCHOOL MANATOU HTAIL DUAL SLALOM.

Bike Setup:   STOCK

Submitted by P Casey a Cross Country Rider from Halifax, NS, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2002

Strengths:    Great Kona Customer Support, very light, stiff setup, great crank, runs nicely with clipless pedals, looks great, and of course glow in the dark stickers. For commuting - no gears to tune, can withstand road salt well because no cogs to collect it. Few easy things to steal - no shifters, etc.

Weaknesses:    Had some problems with components - see below. I emailed Kona Customer Support though and told them the situation and them called my shop, discussed the situation and everything was repaired under warranty. Many thanks to Kona Customer Support and Cyclesmith Halifax for their help!

Bottom Line:
I only use the bike for commuting so I can't really say for off roading but it sure manages to turn heads around turn and people love to see the single speed!

Purchased At:   Cyclesmith, Hfx.

Similar Products Used:   no SS's

Bike Setup:   essentially stock but with clipless pedals, etc.

Submitted by P Casey a Cross Country Rider from Halifax, NS, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2002

Strengths:    Overshadowed by disappointing components.

Weaknesses:    I have owned the Kaboom for about 8 months and only ride commute on it on the road, I never use it offroad. I have already broken a spoke while riding on the road, the rear hub (a ball bearing crushed and ruined the hub), the front brake (avid 20s when a tension adjusting spring broke in two while road riding), and I have had to replace the bb because it grinded itself down after about two months. The rear wheel also slips loose when I give it a hard run up a hill because of too much pressure on the poorly designed setup to keep the rear wheel put.

Bottom Line:
Design flaws with securing the rear wheel, components broke on the road, wouldn't trust this thing enough in a million years to ride it off road. Will never buy another SS nor Kona again, this was a $650 disappointment.

Purchased At:   Cyclesmith

Similar Products Used:   No single speeds

Bike Setup:   Basically stock, with the exception of a replaced bb, rear hub.

Submitted by Chad Lanes a Downhiller from Anaconda, MT USA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2002

Strengths:    Good price for a complete single speed. It's a good package to start with and cheaper than trying to build one from scratch. One of the coolest bike names ever.

Weaknesses:    The steering is way too fast with the rigid fork. I put a 63mm Judy XC on mine and it could easily handle a 80mm fork. I would prefer it to be steel (like to '02 Kona Unit single speed).

Bottom Line:
Overall this is an excellent, very fun to ride bike. I bought it because the idea of a single speed to ride around town appealed to me with my BMX background. My buddy that owns the local shop where I bought it talked me into riding it on the local trails, which tend to go straight up, then straight down. I thought I would die a premature death but it's a lot more fun than it sounds. The Kona Unit (their single speed for 2002) is built from True Temper Platinum steel and set up similarly; it should ride nicer and be a bit more durable. I put a dime sized dent in the down tube of the Kaboom on my second or third ride, but with Kona's warranty reputation I'm not worried. Be a man (or woman) and give a SS a try.

Favorite Trail:   too many to list...

Purchased At:   Sven's Bicycles of Anaconda

Similar Products Used:   No other single speeds. I have a couple 20" BMX bikes, a 24" cruiser, a ti. geared hardtail, and a Stinky freeride bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock with a 63mm Judy XC fork and some Shimano PD-MX636 clipless platform pedals.

Submitted by Alex Davidson a Racer from Blenheim, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2001

Strengths:    Decent enough tubeset, points and shoots as a good Kona should, way light. Oh. those glow in the dark stickers-quite cool.

Weaknesses:    Those long chain stays. And why couldn't Kona have built it out of steel?.....now that would be cool.

Bottom Line:
Have been working in Bike zone 2years and a lot of S/S fans around so finally got one. Got frame on staff purchase discount from Kona UK, built it up from there and Wow! what a cool ride. Great fun and great workout- what a combo, oil the chain and go...well impressed. My Yoeddy has been hanging up all winter now. Knee surgery? hmmm.
S/S world champs in England- June. Check out 'the outcast'
for great S/S reading and vomit on "yesweareontheweb.com".
Then ride.

Favorite Trail:   steep and twisty

Purchased At:   BIKE ZONE Oxford, England

Similar Products Used:   Nwot.

Bike Setup:   Easton carbon fibre monkeylite HB, Syncros stem, P2 fork, old Campy record screw-on(respaced)R/H, suntour grease gaurd F/H, 517 rims, Avid V's, XTR levers, Hope Ti B/B, Race face turbine LP C/S, Easton Ea70 S/P, Flight seat, Briggs & stratton 3hp motor.

Submitted by Chalmer Cruz a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap for its class. Light. Lovely dropouts. Gorgeous paint job and decals. Sticky grips.

Weaknesses:    Harsh ride feeling. Longgggg chainstay.

Bottom Line:
I bought this KABOOM to limit my time in Mtnbiking. But with this KABOOM that "limit my time" thing did not happen and i still ride the XC way with this SS. This is not an ordinary bike. This bike is tough and functions like its XC Mtnbike brethren. Although gear is limited the stock 16-32T gearing is perfect for my type of trail and terrain. Stock parts seems durable, especially the Spot rear hub. A switch to suspension up front is one good idea because aluminum frames are known for their harsh ride feeling. Mental thing is out of the question here. With only one gear all you have to do is pedal and ride. Endurance and tenacity is required in riding any Single Speed bike.

Favorite Trail:   Henry hudson Dr.

Purchased At:   Academy Cycle

Similar Products Used:   This is my first SS Bike

Bike Setup:   Stock with Judy XC fork, Shimano 545 pedals and XT V-brakes, Titec hellbent XC low rise h-bar

Submitted by terry tomlin from halifax

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2001

Strengths:    simplicity and stealth. My first SS and I immediatly noticed how quiet it is. Angles and TT length are similar to my king kahuna so i felt right at home. superbeefy dropouts are nice as is the unique SS seattube sticker

Weaknesses:    none so far...although chromed dropouts would have been a nice touch so that the paint wouldn't get all chewed up.

Bottom Line:
This is my daily commuter and I've done a couple rides on faster trails with it. It hums at 19pounds. Also did a cross race with it and it frickin flew! 44+18 gear setup for commuting and cross. semi-slicks really help keep the speed up coming into the power climbs. Next upgrade will be longer cranks (and a ti morati fork would be nice...)
If you're gonna buy this bike for various riding do yourself a favour and get a few different freewheels so you can tailor the gear to the ride

Purchased At:   cyclesmith,halifax

Similar Products Used:   no other SS's

Bike Setup:   built this guy up from a frameset, so it's definitely a one-off. Rigid p-2 fork, spec wideboy flat bars, surly rear hub on m138 rim, xtr valiant for the front, ti stem,etc

Submitted by Gummi Bear a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent bang-for-the-buck
I bought it with the sole intention of seeing how long it will take me to destroy it, still waiting

Weaknesses:    had to re-tension the spokes, not uniform from the factory

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to ride in town on urban assault rides, I love singlespeeds, this is my second one, and all of my buddies ride SS as well. I thought it may not take me too long to tear this up doing some jumps and ripping down long staircases, as well as beginning to learn some trials, it has held up much better than I thought. I have mixed emotions about the longer chainstays, they make wheelies more difficult, however, they make it more comfortable on the longer rides. Around here a 34:16 is a good ratio, so I had to swap out the chainring, and I think the freewheel may be next... If you are looking to rediscover your childhood, or just want a fun bike for really dang cheap, this is the one for you...

Favorite Trail:   urban assault

Purchased At:   Colonel's Bikes in Fort Worth

Similar Products Used:   DeKerf Generation, Santa Cruz Chameleon, Gunnar Ruffian

Bike Setup:   Manitou Mars1 Fork, Race Face Headset, Wellgo 636 knockoff pedals, Oury Grips, Bontrager Revolt Tires, Salsa Bell, Roach and Kona Pads, Spot chainring.

Submitted by VINCE a Weekend Warrior from SPOKANE, WA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Strengths:    very light and fast

Weaknesses:    long chainstay, cheap frame material.

Bottom Line:
this is actually the 99 1/2 special edition i own. i recomment a ss to anybody. they are simple and fun for any type of ride. riding full rigid the bike is very quick and responsive. the 180 cranks help for pulling up the hills. alot of fun!

Favorite Trail:   THE ZIPPER

Purchased At:   bicycle butler

Similar Products Used:   no other single speeds

Bike Setup:   stock, except tioga tires, raceface xy post, manitou spyder r front suspention fork. raceface 180mm crank.

Submitted by Rob Byrns a Racer from Pottsville

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2000

Strengths:    Oh so simple. Handles really well considering the BMX like geometry. Never breaks down.

Weaknesses:    Constant pop, pop, pop comming from the freewheel.

Bottom Line:
For 600 clams you just cant get a better bike. Whats great about this thing is there is never any maintenence problems. The wheels have no dish, so they stay true for the longest. I've never touched my wheels and I am 190 lbs. and jump everything I can. It realy isn't that bad on the climbs. It handles single track very well. Feels good on downhills and jumps like a pogo stick.
I have a $3,000 "hot rodded" Santa Cruz Superlight that I race with. But I hardly ride the thing anymore. I rode the geared bike today because of the snow cover on the ground and the mud under it. I really needed gears to pull through that stuff today. (yes, I still need gears now and then) But it was not as fun as my cheap old Kona! Single speeding made me fall in love with the sport all over again.
If you are shopping for a SS I highly recomend the Kaboom!
Go get one.

Favorite Trail:   Old Post Trail

Purchased At:   Chainwheel of Little Rock

Similar Products Used:   This is the only single speed I ever rode.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Python tires and a serfas ARC saddle.

Submitted by SJ a Weekend Warrior from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2000

Strengths:    -It's a single speed!!
-Feels light(it should--I mean it doesn't have gears or any of that other crap)
-Rigid fork--just like the good ol' days
-Paint job kicks ass!
-Best of all--NO FRICKIN' MAINTENANCE!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    -No complaints,really...okay,maybe the seat

Bottom Line:
I heard about single-speeds and was stoked on the idea,and one of my friends was nice enough to let me try his.

This kicks ass!!The Kaboom is as close to a BMX as a mountain bike can get!It feels REALLY mad light(around 22 lbs.--it makes my Rockhopper feel like a damn heifer),it climbs better than you might think,it handles like a dream,it rips off jumps like nobody's bussiness,it looks cool,the price is reasonable(@
I like this bike A LOT!!Can you tell?

Props to Kona for making an AFFORDABLE single-speed!!5 flaming peppers all around!!!!

Similar Products Used:   First single-speed I've ridden..comparable bikes are the Bianchi B.U.S.S(ugly as hell,but nice components),and Brodie Unibomber(can't find it on the East Coast!!)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS

Submitted by Geeszer a Cross Country Rider from PHX,AZ.

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2000

Strengths:    Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Frameset is strong and light.

Weaknesses:    Geared riders don't know its a dedicated single speed until I'm past them....Oh wait, thats not a weakness, is it?

Bottom Line:
My Kona is the gold limited edition. The 18" frameset is right at three and a half pounds. Its extremely quick handling without being twitchy. Its taken a huge pounding and comes back for more everytime. With a Sid XC,big tires, and big wide Azonic handlebars, its only 22 pounds. Its fun, its simple, its fast. It was only one of three singles I had. I was skeptical and even had it for sale for awhile while I tried out the other bikes. I went back to it after racing the Spot(a friends frame built with my stuff)because the Kona did everything the Spot did and was lighter and handled quicker in ss situations. Its a year later and its still my favorite ride......."avoid long climbs"..??? WHAT??!!