Kona 2000 Humu Rigid Bike

Shimano, Kona components, Sun rims, Tioga tires

Submitted by Dave Q a Cross Country Rider from Yokota, Japan

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2002

Strengths:    Cro-mo frame and fork, super graphics...everything!

Weaknesses:    uuuhhhhhh....it came with reflectors???

Bottom Line:
This is actually the A'HA, which the dealer said was a '01 model. I haven't been able to find a picture of it on the web, but the frame design is similar to the Schwinn Heavy Duty. The frame is sturdy, and has great red, white and blue graphics. It has a flip-flop rear hub, so I may put a larger sprocket on it in the future. It's surprisingly light and a blast to ride. I can see doing some custom additions later (Profile cranks, Shimano cantis or V-brakes and maybe a more sophisticated seat) but for now it is just great! The price was unbelievable, only $280 US. If you like cruisers / singlespeeds, then buy this one if ever you come upon it.

Favorite Trail:   Ome, The Bowl, Cemetary Road

Similar Products Used:   My Rockhopper was rigid, but this is my first cruiser / singlespeed.

Bike Setup:   Selle Italia seat Diacompe Aheadset Project2 fork, Sun Rims, 3pc cranks, Oddessy grips and barends. Kona brand stem, bars, seatpost, (Canti)brakes, levers and tires.

Submitted by Fox from Chico

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2001

Strengths:    4130 Chromoly frame fork and bars. Good geometry rides almost like my Stinky 5. Very stable at high speeds maybe that explains the second top tube??, but every Kona I have ridden has had that attribute.Exceptional value. Good wheels almost...

Weaknesses:    I have found from riding the two bikes that I occassionaly bash my pedals on the rocks in Bidwell, so a higher BB would be in order to give more clearance.The suspension seatpost lasted only a few rides, though upon puchase of my bike I new it's demise was inevitable. The back wheel on my bike needs to be relaced with any thing other than those black spokes that looked so cool. I am currently up to 16 replaced spokes but the rim has no dents and is still round.( I just keep extra spokes around 14g X 258mm to be exact!!)

Bottom Line:
If you can still find one buy one Kona does not make this bike anymore and does not plan to make any in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Anthing!!

Purchased At:   Bro buddy deal from Kona

Similar Products Used:   A friend's many years ago.

Bike Setup:   180mm XT Cranks w/ a Surly Blower Drive Real 38tChain ring and a shimano freewheel .Platform Tioga pedals. PZ Cheapie DH/Bmx stem. Asides from that it is stock.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from FWB FL USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2001

Strengths:    Extreme Durability

Weaknesses:    Weight. That funky bar in the main triangle. It adds to the durability but I think it is unecessary.

Bottom Line:
If you like cheap single speeds, it's hard to beat this. The bike is much better since the upgrades. I have replaced everything but the bars, stem and seatpost clamp. Why bother? I've had cross country bikes, but never had as much fun as with the SS cruiser. It's a strong and reliable bike. It looks kinda funny, but so do I!

Favorite Trail:   White Ranch, Golden

Purchased At:   Big Daddy's

Bike Setup:   Truvativ Stylo SS cranks and DH BB; flat pedals; Sachs chain; Shimano BMX freewheel; Sovos BMX rear hub, LX front hub; Velocity Deep V rims w/14 guage spokes; WTB tires; STX V brakes and levers; Pedros grips; Kona cruiser bar and stem; Cane Creek C2 headset; Bontrager seatpost; Specialized seat

Submitted by Seth a Downhiller from Vancouver B.C.

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2000

Strengths:    REALLY STRONG

Weaknesses:    not full suspention

Bottom Line:
My buddy Jessie owns this bike and he has judy C shocks on the front. He has put on all BMX parts like profile cranks
and other stuff. He works as a courier and rides like a freak. And He loves to chase me on my khs dominatraks down the shore all the time. Now think about it THE SHORE on a single speed hard tail. Not only that but he just raced DH with me in the summer session at whistler. So if the frame can last one year of pownding and Dh raceing than its good in my books and I don't even like hard tails.

Favorite Trail:   The shore

2000 Humu rear spacing? (big pic sorry)

I recently picked up this little pretty on the bay. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/tehspuddy/06122005.jpg[/IMG] Was just wondering though, does anyone know what spacing the rear triangle is supposed to be? I measure 126mm, a friend tells me 135mm, doesnt look bent..... and i cant fi ... Read More »