Klein 2001 Rascal Rigid Bike

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by Feral Druid a Weekend Warrior from Arizona

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2011

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    I did crack fram at seat post in 1991 fram was replaced and repainted.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bicycle new in 1989. I did crack the frame at the seat post in 1991 and it was replaced. I replaced the forks with rock shox RS-1's. This bick has rocking trail# 100 for 22 years. I did buy a Klein Montra Comp in 1997 but this Rascal is my the one I like best.

Favorite Trail:   Brooks Bank, Trail 100

Purchased At:   Not there anymore

Similar Products Used:   SlingShot Boom tube.

Bike Setup:   Deore DX group with Deore XT lever shifters.

Submitted by Myles Saffian a Cross Country Rider from Mill Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2007

Strengths:    Invisible Welds
Lightweight/Aluminum
Efficient
Internal Cable Routing

Bottom Line:
Like any other Klein, this bike is a hit! This frame is pre-Trek, for those that care. Either way, one can not go wrong with Klein. They are without question the most efficient frame geometry on the market. I couldn't be happier; this frame is light, efficient and a work of art! The best bike I have ever owned and ridden.

Favorite Trail:   Old Railroad Grade

Purchased At:   Craigslist.org

Similar Products Used:   Klein Pulse II, Klein Attitude

Bike Setup:   2007 Klein Repaint - Sputnik Re-entry/Black Deboss

Soon To Be:
Rock Shox Judy Fork (Englund Total Air) w/ King NoThreadSet Headset
Phil Wood Ti Bottom Bracket w/ RaceFace Next LP Crankset
SRAM X.0 Rear Derailleur & Trigger Shifters, PG990 Cassette and PC-991 Hollow Pin Chain
Mavic Crossmax SLR Wheelset
TruVativ Team Carbon Flat Handlebars, Team Carbon SC Seat Post & Team 3d Ti Stem
WTB Rocket V Saddle
Avid Single Digit SL V-Brakes w/ Speed Dial SL Levers

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2003

Strengths:    Extremely Nimble, Light, Well Balanced, Durable, Great Climber, its a singletrack god!

Weaknesses:    I broke the original seat after 9 years. The decals fell off in the first week of ownership.

Bottom Line:
This is a fabulous bike. I have a 1990 Rascal in the magenta (pink) black fade. I have owned it since new. I was very reluctant to replace it as my "A" bike, but when I moved to the West Coast, the terrain here (wide open firetrails, long washboardy downhills at breakneck speed) just doesn't play to the bike's strengths. If you do a lot of single track, log jumping, rock bumpin', this is the bike for you. I can easily steer around obstacles that I would have to crash over (or into) on my Sobo (which itself is no slouch in the handling dept.) The Rascal is like an extension of my feet.

That being said, I ride it less and less, becuase the rigid frame will rattle your eyes and teeth out on the long downhills out here in the West. I didn't want to add a fork because the geometry and balance is so outstanding that I didn't want to upset it by hanging a heavy shock off the front. In New England I would snake down steep, muddy, single track with aplomb (no shock fork needed - perhaps even a negative at the slower speeds you ride back there - instead of compressing and "sticking" to encourage an endo, the rigid fork bounces off of or over those obstacles - clearing a 20" log is a piece of cake on this bike but much more of an adventure on the Voodoo). Out here the shocks and slightly more stable Sobo gives me more confidence at the breakneck speeds you see on the long downhills.

If I still lived back east, I would be riding this everyday. If your riding is mostly singletrack, you would be hard pressed to find a better modern bike than the Rascal.

Similar Products Used:   2000 Voodoo Sobo

Bike Setup:   Mostly original XT setup

Submitted by Reed Weedakowski a Cross Country Rider from Belvidere

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2003

Strengths:    Light, light, light!!!! Paint is fantastic, better than modern 2003 paint. Welds are fantastic.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike as a vintage ride worthy collectable. I have taken it out a few times and wow. Fast & light. Handles great. With no suspension you need to adjust your ride style but it is still mad fun! This is the type of bike that got us where we are today. I highly suggest you give it a try.

Purchased At:   Purchased Used

Similar Products Used:   Klein Mantra Comp, Klein Pulse Pro, Klein Adept Pro, Klein Palomino Team.

Bike Setup:   Totally original Suntour and Shimano XT. Vintage Rigid Klein.

Submitted by Al from Chicago

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
Me again.
Correction: Rascals were made 1990-1993.

Klein paint is the best I've seen on a production bike. The handling is on the quick side which makes the bike great in the singletrack.
The stiffness is a plus and a minus. Plus because it climbs like a mountain goat and minus because it's harsh. With a suspension post it's not a problem.

Submitted by Alan a Racer from Chicago

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2002

Strengths:    Frame design
Paint
Stiffness

Weaknesses:    Stiffness

Bottom Line:
Mine is a 1990.
Rascals were only made 1900-1993. (Mike below has an older bike than he thinks he has)
I've ridden and raced this bike all over the country from W. Va to Cal. and it never failed me. Though I have newer bikes I've always kept the Rascal around.

Purchased At:   Oak Park

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list

Bike Setup:   Currently set up as a single speed.
Manitou 4 & suspension seatpost.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2001

Strengths:    light weight; build quality

Weaknesses:    1" head tube (I'll explain later)

Bottom Line:
I actually have a 1994 or 1995 Rascal, but I still wanted to post a review. After having my last campus bike (I have a 1999 Gary Fisher Paragon at home) stolen I decided that I needed something less flashy (also a better lock), so I was looking for something used that was better than department-store grade to paint flat black (--> less flashy). I found a 'well-used' single-speed Rascal with terrible wheels and paint, but the price was right. So after a $140 mail order, a trip through the old parts box, and a few hours of 'body work' I now have a great commuter bike. This bike sees at least 80 km a week and is great. The internal cable routing can be a hassle to work on, but that's only if the bike is missing the internal cable guides. The Klein BB is still good after years of abuse. The frame itself is a thing of beauty: seamless with obvious attention to detail--the machined seat tube and specially manufactured chain stays for example. Anyone looking for a fast, stiff frame that can afford it should look into getting a Klein.

Real Bottom line: you get what you pay for when you pay the difference to get a Klein.

5 for value (you can't beat $100 even if it was just the frame)
4 overall (1" head tube makes a fork upgrade a pain, but I don't think the 1 1/8 was popular yet in 1994-5; internal cable routing)

Favorite Trail:   near Winter Park, CO