Jamis 1999 Durango AL Rigid Bike

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Southern CT

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    For the price, none

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of these for my inlaws about three years ago. They had been riding rail trails and dirt roads on Raleigh 3-speeds and were compliaining the gears weren't low enough (go figure). My trusty LBS hooked me up with two of these for $600. For $300 a pop, this is untouchable. Aluminum frames, nice Cromo forks, a hodgepodge of Shimano components that works better than any $300 assemblage has any right to work. I was so impressed with how well these were specced and assembled that when I needed a new race frame I bought a Jamis for myslelf.

Similar Products Used:   Just about everything

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Southern CT

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    For the price, none

Similar Products Used:   Just about everything

Submitted by Dana Groulx a Weekend Warrior from Pinellas Park, FL. USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2000

Strengths:    I need a small bike and the frame is only 13". It is very responsive and has held up extremely well. Even without a front fork, it takes the hits and keeps on going, straight and true. Plus, I can just toss it in my hatchback and take off for a ride. If you're a small rider, Jamis bikes are the ones to buy. They've engineered a bike with a 26" standover height, yet kept the geometry perfect.

Weaknesses:    There are no longer any Jamis dealers anywhere near my house.

Bottom Line:
I had never heard of Jamis bikes, but this bike has been perfect for me. I'm either going to add front suspension, or buy a full suspension Jamis. Unfortunately, I'll have to drive a couple hundred miles to the nearest dealer. Because they put money into their bikes, instead of advertising, no one has heard of them. The dealer by my house stopped carrying the bike. They can't sell bikes without name recognition. Too many posers out there, I guess.

Favorite Trail:   Balm-Boyette

Similar Products Used:   Most other brands were too big for me. I tried a couple of Kona bikes. The Jamis was more bang for the buck.

Bike Setup:   I added clipless pedals, a USE suspension post, a Terry Liberator saddle, new grips and bar ends. The STX-RC components are still going strong.

Submitted by Chuci Edwards a Racer from Spotswood, NJ

Date Reviewed: September 5, 1999

Strengths:
ALuminum frame, very rigid, fast, and controlable, without a front shock.

Weaknesses:
The only weakness I can think of is that no one has ever heard of the Jamis line of bikes.

Bottom Line:
The Durango AL, is the fastest, most responsive, rigid bike and hardtail that I've ever had and for the money I don't think it can be beat!

Frostwoods