GT 2001 Talera Rigid Bike

4.75/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2007

Strengths:    Handled well

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
After about 3 faithful years of off road use and 2 years of commuting this poor old beast died. First the forks bent and cracked, then the downtube cracked, which is when it was retired. It was a fun bike to ride on firetrails but really too heavy and not enough suspension for off road. RIP.

Submitted by Renee M a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2006

Strengths:    Takes a licken and keeps on Ticken!!

Weaknesses:    Needed new gears after year 10

Bottom Line:
The Bottom Line is I've had this bike for 13 years. I had to upgrade my gears 3 years ago, but My point awesome bike. No rust, when I got it from my mother I cleaned it up a bit and it looked brand new. Will recommend this bike until the day I die. Thanks for a great product.

Favorite Trail:   Zilker Park

Purchased At:   Inherited

Submitted by Stephen a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2005

Strengths:    Strongest, toughest rigid bike I could have asked for. Provides for optimal balance regardless of speed and will not break! It takes a lickin'... The triple-triangle design offers stability and with just enough grasp.

Weaknesses:    Most components will need upgrading. Ok, all components will need upgrading. Weight.

Bottom Line:
To become a great rider you must be balanced. A rigid bike such as this one provides for a great opportunity to grow in this area by becoming connected to the feel of the trail. New riders often get sucked into overpriced bikes with equipment that will take them years to grow into if at all. If you want to grow with your bike, this ride is for you. This bike is tough as nails.

Favorite Trail:   Hardwood Hills

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana, GT Timberline

Bike Setup:   Extended stem was an essential for control and feel. XT shifters, XT rear Derailleur. LX front Derailleur, bottom bracket, and crank. Avid shorty 6 brakes. STX RC hubs.

Submitted by Sam a Cross Country Rider from Bristol, England

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff stiff stiff, Not a bit of rust on it despite some major scratches. it also is discreet looking enough not to attract robbers.

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any.. a part from the quality of the equipment mounted as standard on it, but that's where the fun lays.

Bottom Line:
This is one bike that grows with your biking.
With enough knowlege and a relatively small amount of cash, you can dress this baby up for some serious competitions. Mine's exactly the same weight as the 2002 Specialized Rockhopper A1 Comp and i would never swap it for a soggy alu frame.
It's not the downhill type although fitness would compensate for some of the lacking comfort on that sort of terrain.
Get one quick and start having fun

Favorite Trail:   Leigh Woods

Purchased At:   Inherited

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar, Specialized Rockhopper A1 Comp.

Bike Setup:   XT Bottom Bracket, derailleurs and 8 gear cassette. Middleburn chain rings. LX breaks, hubs, shifters. Avid 1.9 levers and noodles. Cannondale P-Bone forks and Mavic 211 rims.

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Boise, Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2004

Strengths:    Incredible frame in resiliant CrMO steel ! Bulletproof design, great performance from a simple, unsprung, user-maintainable MTB.

Weaknesses:    Decent but dated and unexceptional transmission and brakes - but well worth replacing, piece by piece, if your frame is good as new (which most are, thanks to... see above!)

Bottom Line:
This bike, along with a lot of similar, older CrMO models from GT, can be recommended enthusiastically to (1) newbie trail riders who really shouldn't be dumping mega-bucks before they really know what they really need, (2) low-budget college students and wheel-less urbanites who just want to get around, (3) old school reactionaries who LIKE steel frames better than dead-riding aluminum, and (4) trail fanatics who like the performance of hardtail bikes and enjoy messing around with upgrades to get just the ride they want. These grossly undervalued GT bikes - check out your local thrifts and pawnshops for bargains! - are an ideal foundation for building up. They ride amazingly well in stock configuration, but they also pay back small, gradual investments in newer bits - with interest!

One caveat: GT bikes are sized a little weird. Try riding before buying. Most people I know - including me - discovered that they needed a smaller GT frame than what they were used to being comfortable with on other bikes. E.g., I'm 5'8+" with a 31" inseam, which usually means a 17" or 17.5" frame; on every GT model I've tried that frame size was always TOO BIG. A 16" proved to be just right.

Thanks to GT and the LPS - Local Pawn Shops - you don't have to save forever before hitting the trails, or put yourself in VISA hell for year and years!

Favorite Trail:   Any I haven't explored yet

Purchased At:   Local Pawnshop (LPS ??)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Nishiki, various pre-Pacific buyout Schwinns.

Bike Setup:   Fairly stock: Have only fitted Avid SD 7 levers and brakes so far. Plan to redo the whole transmission and maybe add a squishy seat tube eventually (the poor man's suspension.)

Submitted by jana a Weekend Warrior from charleston, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2003

Strengths:    durable, it has lasted me 10 years

Weaknesses:    heavier than some other models, but it was pretty light back then

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in 1993 after my daughter was born. Yes, that means I got the baby bike seat and everything. It got us to the park and back, then it got me around in college. Much easier and less expensive than trying to park, plus we had great trails to ride in the area. it has followed me all over the world. i rode it up (ugh) and down (yippeeee) the hills in Germany. Now we are in Charleston, SC and it is my primary transportation for work, plus the occasional weekend ride. now just need one for the kiddo. i love my Talera. i am just now having some problems with it. rather than buy a new one, i'm looking to fix it.
It has done the job great no matter what I have asked from it...it has been very versatile and reliable. It gets funny looks from people that seriously race off road and stuff, but it does the job just fine for those of us who aren't worried about racing.

Favorite Trail:   Landstuhl in Germany

Purchased At:   Bike Zone in Slidell, LA

Similar Products Used:   only one I have had since i was a kid

Bike Setup:   really not sure, the only thing i changed after buying off the shelf at the local bike shop is a better seat, new shifters, and a new chain. that's it. and that's with very poor maintenance.

Submitted by Ron Spirit a Weekend Warrior from Israel

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2002

Strengths:    Like a rock !!!
I bought them 4 years ago. Ever since I never had any problem, even the smallest. I rode the bikes like a lunatic and nothing was damaged!!.
I changed the fork to RST and it improved my stability.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy...

Bottom Line:
Great value for the begginer !!
One of the strongest I met !!!
Recently I mooved to Giant NRS 2 and there is a big different, but it's obvious...a different scale.

Purchased At:   Nearest shop