GT 1999 Outpost Rigid Bike

4.59/5 (49 Reviews)

1999 GT Outpost, mountain bike, non-suspension, Mountain Mix components, GT rigid fork

Submitted by Eleazar Pereda a Downhiller from Santa Ana. CA US

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2009

Strengths:    light for a mountain bike with a strong chassie easy to repair and keeps on giving....

Weaknesses:    pedals and seat but then again its a mountain bike half the time your standing and enjoying the ride

Bottom Line:
The best bike i have had in my entire life durable doesn't ask for much and i feel like i got a great deal for it i recommend first riders to get one.

Favorite Trail:   Death Star

Purchased At:   Coworker

Similar Products Used:   trek, huffys, and one specialized i tore apart literally bended the front rim left a good scar

Bike Setup:   stock i just added road tires and an all out tune up after a year of hard rides and comutting

Submitted by milton a Cross Country Rider from new tripoli, pa, united states

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2006

Strengths:    light, smooth, sexy, fast

Weaknesses:    pedals

Bottom Line:
it was a gift from my grandfather after he passed away, since ive gotten it, it has been my main source of transportation. I ride it daily and it has given me no problems at all. I can imagine this bike lasting me a very long time.

Similar Products Used:   walmart bikes

Bike Setup:   all standard except for bell, and odyssey tripple trap pedals

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Hayward, CA. USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2006

Strengths:    I have always felt the whole bike is well built with quality components. Never had a complaint. the Blue color was always striking and an attention getter

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
I have owned my GT Outpost since 1994. I have never had a complaint about my bike besides the weight. My bike has been with me through school, Colorado, and even to Korea. I always felt it was going to break on one day but it had not failed until about two weeks ago when my rear cassete went out. I have taken my bike to places I should not have, but it took a beating and kept right on going. For an entry level bike I got more than my moneys worth out of it. I could have probably been through three or more bikes by now. Any one looking to enter into the offroad arena, and on a budget, should definitely look into the GT Outpost

Favorite Trail:   Indian Fire Road, Mt. Tam

Purchased At:   Can not Remember

Bike Setup:   Completely stock

Submitted by joe a Weekend Warrior from Three Oaks, MI USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2005

Strengths:    I like the fact that I got a decent deal on the bike to begin with! With the lightweight frame, 21 speeds and shocks, it made my 20 mile ride through to work a piece of cake! The 21 speeds was nice going up the steep hills too!

Weaknesses:    Not really a product weakness, just a thought - wish I could find an authorized dealer near my small town to do repairs and tune ups! Other than that, none that I can think of off hand!

Bottom Line:
Bottom line? Excellent buy! I'm not big into the biking scene, just wanted a reasonable alternative to driving, and this was it. Decent buy for the money and I haven't had ANY problems with it. NO complaints.

I would say though, that if you're an amateur biker or just want something to ride back and forth to work or just for exercise, this is a good buy.

Favorite Trail:   to and from work

Similar Products Used:   Had a 15 speed huffy that I buried. about 1500 miles on it and broke one of the gears....not bad for $150 bucks...but not as nice as my GT

Bike Setup:   What the factory put on it! I only added a bike rack that attaches to the seat post. And I ride at night, so a small headlight and tail light so I can be seen. Other than that, it's factory!

Submitted by Harry McDaniel a Weekend Warrior from Meadville,Pa,USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2005

Strengths:    Frame,Shimano shifters, gear ratio, Light weight, Easy to ride, and its a GT

Weaknesses:    none for the price i paid for it. I practically stole it for 40 dollars so i guess GT bikes are popular with this thief.

Bottom Line:
this bike was in new condition when i bought it so let me see. This bike the outpost is by far the best bike i have ever ridden. I have to pinch myself to make sure im not dreaming.With the price of gas as high as it is this will be my transportation to and from work.

Favorite Trail:   to and from work

Purchased At:   neighbor

Similar Products Used:   cheap wal mart bikes

Bike Setup:   added kickstand,storage bag, comfort seat.

Submitted by John Verhine a Cross Country Rider from Cartersville Ga, USA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2005

Strengths:    Very agile, turns in nicely, easily upgradable. Don't forget it has the most durable frame under 1000.

Weaknesses:    The ride is a little stiff, but its to be expected from a non-suspended model. The pedals aren't the best.

Bottom Line:
Has to be the best beginner's bike on the market. Very forgiving and the most durable for the cost. I work at Play It Again where I can test ride many bikes and have yet to come across one better than the GT Outpost anywhere close to the price. I just purchased a KHS Alite suspended bike, and I think I like the GT better. I reccomend some clipless pedals and a good padded seat(it's a rough ride).

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   Play It Again Sports

Similar Products Used:   Numerous Trek bikes, a few Giants and a KHS Alite.

Bike Setup:   All stock except for the Maxxis Worm Drive tires(highly recomended) and I had to go ahead and put a kickstand on it(call me a wimp).

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2005

Strengths:    Great frame, decent shifters, tires

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, and I really miss it. Some jerk stole it straight out of my basement.

I liked this bike so much that I really only considered a GT to replace it (even if I really wanted a Cannondale but couldn't justify the expense). Waiting for an '05 Avalanche 1.0 Disc I ordered from a local shop.

Favorite Trail:   Elizabeth Furnace

Purchased At:   Wilson Cycles

Similar Products Used:   I can't remember what I traded in for this bike. The sales guy was very kind to give me a $150 credit towards my purchase for what I gave him. I think it was a Leader.

Bike Setup:   Stock. Except for the ultra high density Cannondale nylon pouch with reflector strip. What can I say? I went all out!

Submitted by Chase 1 a Downhiller from Omak, WA usa

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2004

Strengths:    Built tough. Took a beating and begged for more.
Smooth Shimano's excellent stock rubber. Lasted hardships for 4 long hard years.

Weaknesses:    The rear derailler finally gave out on me, went through a chain, probly my fault though.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike when I was 12 years old. I loved it. It was bright orange with some wicked white splashed on stripe jobbers. I beat the tar out of it. I would have contests with friends to see how far we could jump off things, I would always win by at least 5 feet. I hit trees, jumped off 4 foot drop offs, and never once bent a rim. Still my favorite bike, even though I no longer have it and have long since outgrown it.
I have an aluminum Raleigh now and it just doesn't have the toughness to it that my outpost did.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere in nature

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop, Okanogan, WA

Similar Products Used:   Nothing I can compare it to.

Bike Setup:   Left stock exept for new bar grips.
Model 1994 gt outpost

Submitted by sean a Cross Country Rider from newton

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2003

Strengths:    Great bike

Weaknesses:    none, I beat the crap out of mine non stop day in and day out.

Bottom Line:
dam good bike. I beat this thing so had it should have broken, but it didn't. I ride this thing though streams and mud holes. Best bike that i have ever used. it is better then my 3,000 dollar trek. this bike has balls. Just remember, like anything, if you beat it too had stuff will brake.

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   motive stonegrinder, giant, trek 220, trek 660, dimondback ignitor, mongoose expert, pacific, giant ocr1, rally 10 speed, ad some huffy throw aways

Bike Setup:   Everything is different but the frame

Submitted by Peach a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2003

Strengths:    Takes all the beating a heavy-handed amateur like me can throw at it. Great frame. Feels just as safe on fast downhill open roads - with all the traffic beating down on you - as it does on dirt.

Weaknesses:    Brakes squeak a bit. Saddle is a bit of a killer

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike so I could get back into cycling with my son. Took it to a great open air mud track where local BMXers ride. Decided to relive my youth and take a BIG jump on it (much to the amusement of the BMXers). I landed so hard, I bent the handlebars down two inches (and nearly broke my wrists), but the bike didn't even blink! Great ride, extremely fast compared to other mountain bikes I've come up against. Great bike for older types like me getting back into cycling again. Excellent value for money!!

Favorite Trail:   anything that scares me

Purchased At:   In UK outlet

Similar Products Used:   Nothing of note

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Daniel Rogers a Weekend Warrior from Redlands, CA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2002

Strengths:    The Outpost is a great bike! What else can i say? I have had the bike for about a year, and it has been GREAT to me. It takes 15 stairs perfect. The frame alone is worth it all, being so light and strong. The parts, even though they are a bit on the low end,work without error. The tires have lasted a year also. Im 14. I ride. When i ride I ride HARD!~!~!

Weaknesses:    The rims tend to be a little on the weak side, needing trueing about each week. The petals have been snapped in half, and ders have been acting up lately.

Bottom Line:
IT IS A GREAT BIKE BUY ONE!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   The Jedi

Purchased At:   Yucipa Bike Center

Similar Products Used:   Trek Bruiser 1.

Bike Setup:   I changed out the old fork with a newer RST. The cranks have been changed out to a Suntour model, but everything else is stock!

Submitted by Matthew a Weekend Warrior from Clinton Twp, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2001

Strengths:    Rock-solid never-say-die frame/fork/wheelset.

Weaknesses:    Basic tuning of the derailleurs, stock seat, front brake caliper cable strap.

Bottom Line:
This is the 91 model, probably close to 1000 to 1500 miles. Never needed full rebuild. Regreased front hub bearings. Stock rims retrued countless times, as the rear wheel gets severe punishment from my sprints. Best hill climber I've ever ridden! Uphill about 30 - 40 degrees with rocks, gravel, sand a pleasure. Have "punished" the beast in snow with pressure lowered tires to 6-8 in deep -- fun. Just clean it UP when you're done. Inspires great confidence for any riding short of full comp. Very fast in front of suspended bikes with jeans and backpack of books!

Favorite Trail:   Stoney Creek dirt trails

Purchased At:   Hellebuyk's Bike & Mower

Similar Products Used:   My dad was their mechanic and I've always ridden something since I was 4. Vintage Schwinn Contintental my highest mileage beater.

Bike Setup:   Basically stock, replaced seat (I want an unsprung narrow brooks), Rear derailleur (my fault) with Shimano Acera, Sachs chain, Cheng Shin rear tire

Submitted by hi bye a Cross Country Rider from Albequerque Newmexico

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2001

Strengths:    Sucking at everything

Weaknesses:    drivetrain sucks, gears slip, derrailer broke, tire flatted, saddle ripped, grips slipped off, brake pads wore out, brake cable snapped, brake lever is too loose, 2nd chain ring never worked and the chain broke all in the first 2 months when i only used it for riding too school.

Bottom Line:
save your cash or buy something with higher quality components

Favorite Trail:   moab