GT 1999 Outpost Trail Rigid Bike

4.77/5 (13 Reviews)

1999 GT Outpost Trail, mountain bike, non-suspension, Mountain Mix components, GT rigid fork

Submitted by sp2rays a Weekend Warrior from Huntington Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2010

Strengths:    Frame, Derailer, Brakes

Bottom Line:
Weighing in close to 250LBS @ 6'4, I needed a bike that could hold me as well as take my tough style of riding. And for the last ten years, whether I'm on a trail in the mountains or the deserts of Arizona, or just cruzin under the Huntington Pier,

I can always depend on my GT.

Favorite Trail:   Along PCH

Purchased At:   Bike Store

Submitted by hampton87 a Weekend Warrior from Cooper City, Fl USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2010

Strengths:    free

Weaknesses:    learning how to put on a new tube, take off the broken grip shifter and make the front deralliaur break off. putting grafting tape on the rotten grips and using the last of the wd40 on some of the bolts, chain, and rear deralliauer. seems really tight comapred to my steel mtb bike

Bottom Line:
well considering it was compeltely free and i have owned it for a few days it has been great. seems really fast and good rims, hubs, tires, cranks, brakes, leavers, (not a big fan of grip shift) paint, and pedals that are unsual steel bear claw type. seems more like a track bike instead of a mountain bike in the florida sense. we don't have many mountains in south florida. lots of flat roads and paved trails. not a road bike to ride more than 10 miles at a time but can be really fast on pavement with the right tires

Favorite Trail:   pine ridge through tree tops park, longlake ranches back to hiatus and cooper city

Purchased At:   neighborhood recycli

Similar Products Used:   peugot rockit 100 steel made in france craigs list purchase. sun cruiser. raleigh m30. schwinn jaguar. raleigh girls lugged touring. schwinn sting. 80s greucuetti ten speed. 80 bianch red strata ten speed upgraded stem and bars with areo brakes

Bike Setup:   no front derallieur.

Submitted by PHYSICAL HEAT INC. a Cross Country Rider from CHICAGO

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2006

Strengths:    ONE HELL-A-FIED BIKE! Stable frame, Smooth shift from any gear, tight brakes and one of the BEST investments that i've ever purchase.

Weaknesses:    I switch up the peddles about 3 years ago, very weak along with cracking.

Bottom Line:
Paid $380.00 for it when it firsat came out. In my eyes it's still worth the investment and i'm sure it's re-sale value is up there.
This isn't my first bike, but one of my best bikes! I advise anyone who's looking to buy there first bike should get the Outpost GT, you can't go wrong!!!

PH

Favorite Trail:   ANY!

Purchased At:   CYCLERY

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Montys...

Bike Setup:   No extras, it's fine as is except for a water bottle hitch.

Submitted by Zac Zimmer a Cross Country Rider from Hastings, MN

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2001

Strengths:    This bike rocks, I've taken it through hell and back, and it's still there.

Weaknesses:    I just had a problem with my front forks bending almost in half, but it's been 5 years and the bike has taken alot of punishment.

Bottom Line:
Probably the best bike at this price. I bought a GT for durability, and it has taken it and then some. I wasn't too happy when the forks bent because it was the first time out this year, but considering age and what it's been through, I guess it was just time to get rock shox anyways. Damn GT for discontinuing this model for 2001, I sure would have bought another one instead of upgrading my forks to shocks.

Favorite Trail:   afton alps ski area

Purchased At:   Erik's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hard Rock, Pacific POS

Bike Setup:   stock, but soon to have rock shox due to fork bending

Submitted by Ian Troniak a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2001

Strengths:    Bike kix butt. I really love it. I bought it on a budget and as my first bike in about 10 years of not riding. I put it through everything I can and it takes it all well.

Weaknesses:    busted a pedal the other day, but replaced that as the beginning of my overhaul. Bike is a little heavy.

Bottom Line:
Great beginner bike and i think it will be a great keeper if upgraded with the right parts

Favorite Trail:   anything off road

Purchased At:   United Cycle

Similar Products Used:   nothing worth mentioning

Bike Setup:   have replaced the pedals with ARMY 1664
next step: Rock Shox

Submitted by Harold Abrams a Cross Country Rider from Cambridge, England

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2001

Strengths:    Sturdy frame, Good traction on Maxxis tires. Fast handling in corners.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy. (30 pounds) fragile shifters.

Bottom Line:
A good first bike. The Outpost trail handles well in tight corners and excells in narrow single track. I bought this bike 10 months ago and since have ridden alongside my two brothers who have a Cannondale f600, and a GT XCR 4000. The only thing to look out for is the grip shift shifters. I recommend this as a first upgrade for they broke on me while on a ride last week. Happy trails!

Favorite Trail:   North Shore

Purchased At:   Cambridge Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Rigid Peugot mountain bike

Bike Setup:   Answer 5 degree stem, Dimondback pedals, clips and straps, Specialized seat, Cateye Enduro 2 computer.

Submitted by Raoul Duke a Cross Country Rider from Urbana, IL USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2000

Strengths:    Takes a beating. I've left it outside in crappy Midwest weather for four straight years and it still works well. I also run it into a lot of solid objects (I'm fairly clumsy) but I have yet to break it. (Mine's a 1997, I think. My girlfriend has a 1999 and her's is the same way.)

Weaknesses:    Heavy as hell, brakes aren't so great, crappy pedals.

Bottom Line:
I like my bike a lot, and my girlfriend likes hers. I've treated it like crap and it still works. I don't hardly ride it anymore, though, because it's so damn heavy and I HATE fighting wind on a heavy bike. Good for riding around town and super-durable for the price. I would recommend this for kids like me -- limited budget, using it to ride to class and occasionally on light trails or cross-country. Start doing some squats before you take it home, though.

Purchased At:   Changing Gears

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hard Rock (1994, I think)

Bike Setup:   Factory; Schwinn pedals with clips added after the factory ones exploded.

Submitted by RANDY a Weekend Warrior from HESPERIA,CA. US

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2000

Strengths:    LITE,GOOD BRAKES,FAST& HANDLES GOOD!!

Weaknesses:    HARD TO KEEP THE FRONT END DOWN ON STEEP INCLINES.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS AN EXCELLENT BIKE FOR UNDER $300. I,M 6'1 300+LBS AND A FREQUENT RIDER,I DON,T BABY THIS BIKE I RIDE IN LOCAL HILLS,ON FIRE ROADS,SINGLE TRACK AND DOWNHILL AND THIS BIKE HAS PERFORMED GREAT!!! I FEEL THIS BIKE IS GOOD FOR ANYBODY THAT DON'T RACE IT PROVES YOU DON'T NEED AN EXPENSIVE BIKE TO HAVE FUN!!

Favorite Trail:   LOCAL MT. TRAILS

Similar Products Used:   PACIFIC,HUFFY...JUNK

Bike Setup:   STOCK

Submitted by Shane Colvin a Racer from Ohio

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2000

Strengths:    This bike is light.
It has a great Frame.

Weaknesses:    nun

Bottom Line:
This bike is very light.If you get some nice rox shox on here and a DMR'S V8'S AND THIS BIKE WILL FLAT ASS MOVE.HAVE FUN AND KICK SOME ASS!

Favorite Trail:   Hellyer Trail

Similar Products Used:   Trek,(other) Gt, Cannondale

Bike Setup:   put you some rox shox on there and maybe some nice disc brakes and you've a hell of a bike

Submitted by Olly a Weekend Warrior from Southampton, U.K

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2000

Strengths:    Oh My God this is amazing. THis s the best bike alright I do ride with RockShox up front but there isn't a GT Outpost TRail in the Front Suspension section. It is a really really good bike especially once you've started upgrading it.

Zilch
Zero

Bottom Line:
The best bike I have ver ridden it is so good some of my mates have like 1000 quid bikes but this beats the brown stuff out of all of them.

Similar Products Used:   DMR Trailstar (Good, Heavy)
Kona Cindercone (Wasn't set up well but didn't like it anyhow)
GT Arrowhead (Naaaaaah too flimsy)

Bike Setup:   GT Outpost Trail
Rockshox Indys
Planet X Stem
Azonic Bars
DMR V8's
Acera, Acera X groupset

Submitted by Eugene Goffredo a Weekend Warrior from Ramsey, NJ

Date Reviewed: April 17, 1999

Strengths:
Great value for price
Feels very responsive
Price

Weaknesses:
Some componetry seems a little rough looking

Bottom Line:
My first new bike in 25 years! Very easy to ride, and is comfortable for my near-middle-aged body. When I pump the tires up, it's real nice on the bumpy roads here.The bike looked cool in Matte Ivy! Super bike for the price!

Not going to work trail!

less than 1 month