Giant 2001 Sedona Rigid Bike

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Alpharetta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2004

Strengths:    Very comfortable

Weaknesses:    Frame developed problems with the bottom bracket and Giant tried to say I had cross-threaded it. I had never even worked on it when the crank just came out. I had to fight with Giant for a new frame, which I finally got, but still had to pay the shop to switch it over. GIANT should stand 100% behind their product and warranty and not try and shift the product defect to a customer!

Bottom Line:
Good bike, but if the company is that hard to deal with I would never buy a GIANT bike again!

Bike Setup:   Standard Sedona DX

Submitted by jonathan a Weekend Warrior from providence ri usa

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Strengths:    Very comfortable, smooth shifting, fantastic breaking power. Plenty of gears (27) to choose from.

Weaknesses:    The seat just does feel as comfortable as it could. I'm goine to play with adjustments for a few more weeks then maybe buy a different one.

Bottom Line:
This is an all round great bike! It handles beautifully and has a nice solid feel to it. I'm a big guy, 6'5" and 230#, so i need a big tough bike that can take a fair amount of abuse. The joice for the Sedona was basically that it was the first good quality mountain/comfort bike i found that fit. I'm not so sure the seat post shock absorber really does much, but I still love the bike. Will start using the original tires pretty soon and trust it has a nice offroad feel too.

Purchased At:   East Providence Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Test road a Specialized Expedition Elite. Liked it just as much but it didn't have the 23 inch frame size.

Bike Setup:   Sedona SX 2002. switched to smooth road tires.

Submitted by Kenny Contreras a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2002

Strengths:    COMFORT, COMFORT, COMFORT
smooth ride, great components, durable and lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any... i guess if i go off from 5ft than i may find out but i don't plan on doing so, so i guess i'm in for a long time with this bike. :O)

Bottom Line:
My review is actually on the 02 Sedona SX. Very comfortable to ride, smooth all around, street, dirt/gravel. I was looking for a bike i could use to comute back and forth to work in (7 miles each way) and also be able to go out and get rough with in the rough terrain and be able to handle it. I must say, i'm very satisfied with my purchase, it was a bit more than i planned on spending but it's worth every penny. Awesome components, great looks and totally all around useful. It's light and it's very quick on the street and great offroad. This is the best of the Sedona Series and it's very close to the "iguana" series with similar or equal components. If you're a beginning MTB rider or plan to do light offroad with a lot of street use than this is a great choice. I rode a full suspension MTB to work and back and found it uncomfortable and tiring on long trips. They're great for MTB ridin' but if u plan on riding the streets than check out the Sedona SX.

Purchased At:   I. Martin Imports in Los Angeles

Similar Products Used:   Giant "IGUANA" and Motiv "full suspension"

Bike Setup:   stock: Extra-light ALUXX butted aluminum frame, ideal body position geometry. Manitou Six Elite suspension fork. SRAM Centra Half Pipe 9-speed shifters and Deore XT rear derailleur and Alloy suspension seat post and adjustable alloy stem.

Submitted by Graham H a Weekend Warrior from Hobart Tasmania

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2002

Strengths:    Comfort - comfort - comfort - on or off road capability - looks cool! A road and mountain bike in one.

Weaknesses:    No downhill or jumping off mountains

Bottom Line:
Note: This review is for the Giant Sedona LX 2002 - not the 01 model, although they are very similar. At the time of writing, the 2002 wasn't listed on this site.

Bought a Giant Iguana a couple of weeks back. Looked great, but I found it uncomfortable. I wanted the bike mainly for short daily rides and occasional touring, with a bit of off road thrown in. Found the Iguana uncomfortable. Leaning forward on the low bars hurt my wrists after about 45 minutes. I had also added a suspension seatpost to try and add a little more comfort. But I wasn't happy and kept looking at bikes on the net. It became clear that the Sedona's more upright sitting position would be better for me. I'm 41, 180cm and 85 kg. Talked to my dealer at McBain Cycles in Hobart Australia and after an inspection, he let me change over for a small fee. It was used, after all, and my mistake...thanks, Ben....
From the onset, I found the Sedona (around $900 AUD) more comfortable and compare the luxurious suspension (forks and standard suspension seatpost) so much better than the Iguana - a bit like driving a Landcruiser after a Hilux. The upright position, large grips, large soft saddle etc make this the COMFORTABLE bike for me. I can see me doing long hours on this one. The seat is large and really soft. The grips, too, are larger than my previous bike and incorporate the shifters. I was unsure of these at first, but now reckon they're great. Smooth to change with an audible click and you don't even have to look to change - your hands are all ready there. The hi-rise handle bars adjust from low(like a mountain bike) to hi, for a more upright seating position. Young people want mountain bikes 'cause they look cool, even if they don't go off the road - suppose I fell for the MTB looks too. But The Sedona LX looks identical to a MTB - especially with the handlebars set to the lowest position - has the same size wheels allowing for light off road rides, but has comfort, comfort, comfort. Have I mentioned that it's comfortable? Recommended

Purchased At:   McBain Cycles - Hobart