Giant 1999 Upland Rigid Bike

4.13/5 (8 Reviews)

1999 Giant Upland, mountain bike, non-suspension, Mountain Mix components

Submitted by Msdos5 a Cross Country Rider from South Dakota

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2009

Strengths:    Beefy rear

Weaknesses:    Grip shift

Bottom Line:
Great bike,
When I got it the origional seat fell apart, I put metal petals on an changed grips. Sence it featred a bashguard for derailer I striped the kickstand off an put a fender on it(Because all the trails here are equestrian) I got good gloves to counter ruff ride, I took off a 4 ft drop the Sun CC rims did fine. I also took it up to fortymph[the fstest Ive gone on@bike], looked into Brake Thearpy(rear) approx 300$ might acctuly do it because of frame. *See My Pic!!!

Favorite Trail:   the Bull

Purchased At:   sale

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Seat shock, various Botrager components, WTB sattle, various Kenda tires, Apex fender, Wellgo platforms

Submitted by gmoser a Cross Country Rider from Hagerstown, md

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2008

Strengths:    I Have had this bike for about 9 years. Nothing has broken. Most of the miles were put on it during college and on the C&O canal towpath. More recently I have started taking it on some singletrack trails and so far it has held up. The shifts have always been solid, even from the crappy tourney components.

Weaknesses:    The saddle sucks... aside from this you really cant complain about a 9 year old entry level bike or its components when nothing has broken. It is heavy (especially by todays standards) but its a tank.

Bottom Line:
10 years and going strong. I got this when my Huffy was totaled in college when I got hit by a car. Performance sold me a 19.5" even though im only 5'7". I've spent a lot of time tweaking to get a comfortable fit out of a frame that is 2" too big. Ive got over 1K miles on this and its still totally stock (even the tubes!). Cant beat that. Just started doing some serious offroad riding so something is bound to break soon!

Favorite Trail:   Anything

Purchased At:   Performance (Towson)

Similar Products Used:   Newer Giant boulder, Cypress

Bike Setup:   It's still stock... almost 10 years later. I think i may see a singlespeed conversion in the near future though!

Submitted by Jakub Mrva a Cross Country Rider from Bratislava, Slovak republic

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    My upgrade bike is excellent but no stong and
no light.

Weaknesses:    Hartail freeride with very bad fork.

Bottom Line:
No extreme bike but fun bike for all terain. It is a bike from the best company. Giant is mz favourite bike. I want to buy AC DS 2.

Favorite Trail:   XC

Purchased At:   200

Bike Setup:   RS Jett, Easton 50 bar, Sram 9.0 and 7.0, Alexrims DM 24, Point disc stop pro, Tioga Factory DH 2.1, BBB grips

Submitted by Matt Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Anoka, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2001

Strengths:    My Upland is very durable. I am hard on bikes, and so far this bike is earning it's keep. I like the shimano brakes and quick shift gears.

Weaknesses:    sounds clunky in higher gears.

Bottom Line:
Giant makes great bikes!! I will more than likely buy other Bikes from them. The fram is strong, the brakes are good, and the gears are quick. Great bike for any rider!!

Favorite Trail:   Elm Creek Park Trails

Purchased At:   Pioneer Schwinn: Blaine, MN

Bike Setup:   I put a gell seat with more cusion on it, other than that this bike is set up very well!

Submitted by Seung Lee a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2000

Strengths:    Good price/performance.

Weaknesses:    Rear deraileur got clunky after about 2 years.

Bottom Line:
I bought it to ride around college and occasionally ride off-road. It's a solid bike that I could depend on for 4 years before I sold it off for $40 bucks. However, I'd rather buy a front shocked system for a little more money.

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   standard

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Duluth, MN USA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2000

Strengths:    There are many, the brakes are great, very light frame, easy to ride

Weaknesses:    front fork, mine bent within a month of buying

Bottom Line:
I like this bike, it's really smooth and I havnt had to do much repairs on it, very light and easy to shift and brake, comfortable seat too.
I bought it at a local bike shop for $179.

Favorite Trail:   Hartley Field

Submitted by Salman Shami a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2000

Strengths:    The black and red paint job looks very good. Its reasonably light and very smooth to ride. Good rigid frame

Weaknesses:    None discovered so far.

Bottom Line:
I love it so far. It's my first bike after many many years and I am quite excited about it. Of course it is an entry level model so it doesn't have all the exotic bits that more expensive bikes have, however it is putting a smile on my face.