Diamondback 1999 Response Rigid Bike

1999 Diamondback Response, mountain bike, non-suspension, Shimano AceraX components, Diamondback fork

Submitted by vinny a Weekend Warrior from chicago,IL

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2000

Strengths:    solid frame, S-bend seatstays, gusseted head tube, unique paint job, good geometry

Weaknesses:    less than mediocre 21speed component group, cheesy wheelset, no bar ends, rigid fork, terrible seat and seat post, whacky bottom bracket, weak pedals

Bottom Line:
I guess i would have to say that this was my first "real" mountain bike b/c it is built out of aluminum and has the sloping top tube. Anyway, I got this bike b/c i was broke as all hell and couldn't afford anything else and just wanted to ride! I figured i would just upgrade my components later. I found out that the frame IS the very heart of the bike. This frame was very strong and took the upgrades for about a year of hardcore riding(technical, dirt jumps, chutes, drops) I last had it set up with acceptable and replaceable parts such as an STX-RC drivetrain and a RS Indy C. Not to forget an LX bottom bracket b/c I blew the OE BB when I was doing a no footer off a curb. The only reason I'm not with it today is because the notorious "urban grizzlies" got their hands on it(it got stolen.) It is a good frame to hold on to as long as U plan on upgrading

Favorite Trail:   8-ball

Similar Products Used:   specialized hardrock/cromo

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M60 w/RS Judy Race, DeoreLX/Acera mix drivetrain on a Sun Ditch Witch wheelset paired to Michellin Wildgripper DH 2.2 soft tires

Submitted by Carleton a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta,Ga,USA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2000

Strengths:    Light strong frame, perfect for upgrading

Weaknesses:    Heavy everything else

Bottom Line:
This bike was the obvious choice for my first bike in 10 years. I got an aluminum frame, Aheadset, and alot of heavy parts, which were in a box not long after my purchase. I did manage to BEND the bottom bracket at about 2 months, but the warrantee replacement hasn't let me down yet. next upgrade(s) will be drivetrain.

Favorite Trail:   Wooten Road

Bike Setup:   Manitou(97)sx fork,Topo bar,Bontrager race seat

Submitted by Milly a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2000

Strengths:    For the money, this bike can't be beaten. Frame is great to build on. STOP WHINING ABOUT THE COMPONENTS!!! You can't expect to get deore or lx componentry and a great frame by spending only 200 buck!! Common people! Diamondback name and quality with light frame design is what you pay for. THe other stuff came extra!

Weaknesses:    For the price, can't really complain about anything.

Bottom Line:
I really love the bike and I can't imagine having spent 200 better. My boyfriend, who bought the bike for me and also owns a xr-1, is about 6"'s taller than me and for fun he rode my bike around. He was surprised at the value and performance. We go riding up in n. georgia and I can keep up with him no problem. Like he says, once you get used to the bike and develop the fundamental skills needed, there is nothing holding you back. 5 flamers for value and performance. This bike has served me well and I love it!

Favorite Trail:   Appalachian Mtns, N. Georgia

Similar Products Used:   my old cannondale

Bike Setup:   Stock, soon to upgrade to rock shox jett xc.

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Crofton, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2000

Strengths:    LIGHT!!! I mean LIGHT!!! This bike is a perfect start/mid skill bike. The frame is light and super strong. Easy to build on. Great buy fro the money!

Weaknesses:    Ummmm. Cheap reflector???

Bottom Line:
Cannot believ you can get this bike for under $300 - it is one of the lightest bikes I have ever been on. If you are considering a lower-end suspension bike - take a look here; this is a better deal all-around. Besides it can easily be upgraded as you go. So far 5 little fire-log things.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in Eastern Shore

Similar Products Used:   Had a Trek 800 - but that is apples and oranges.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Mark Frampton a Weekend Warrior from Rowlett, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2000

Strengths:    Very light and priced right. $200 closeout at Oshmans with lifetime adjustments. Seems very stable for 175lb rider on 40psi.

Weaknesses:    Shift hardware is cheap. Critical to find common adjustment in reasonable gearing extremes where chain wont rub the derailer while in smallest and largest rings. Even if you do get it set up, it will loose adjustment soon and start rubbing again. The geometry with the front derailer is just too tight.

Bottom Line:
For $200, what can you expect. I can deal with it for now. Anybody on a budget can't go wrong with this very light bike.

Better this than the dreaded department store, fully suspended low end glitter bikes for $199 or less.

Favorite Trail:   Rowlett Creek Preserve

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Kris Sheppard a Cross Country Rider from Reno, Nv USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2000

Strengths:    Lightwieght and relitivly cheap. Good all-around, fast, fun bike. Easy to upgade.

Weaknesses:    Shimano Accera not the greatest, in constant need of adjustment. Stock rims are very weak.

Bottom Line:
For under $400 I stay right on my friend's $1500 Jammis riding ass.

Favorite Trail:   Keystone Canyon

Bike Setup:   Manitou Spyder fork (99)

Submitted by Bodie a Cross-Country Rider from Youngsville,PA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 1999

Strengths:
The bike has a good frame and can be easily upgraded.

Weaknesses:
The components could have been a little better.

Bottom Line:
The Response is a good bike for the money. I was looking for a decent bike I could upgrade into a very nice ride. I am very happy with it.

3 months

I added a rox shock.

Submitted by Eric a Cross-Country Rider from Oklahoma City

Date Reviewed: July 30, 1999

Strengths:
Value. Build a great bike from a great frame.

Weaknesses:
Components could be higher quality

Bottom Line:
Am very happy with this bike. I wanted a resonable entry level price with a justified feeling for upgrading the components without overdoing the frame itself. I like quality components and for the price of a prebuilt bike with mediocre components, I would rather spend the extra money on good stuff. This frame is perfect to build on. I upgraded to the Sachs freewheel for more top end and a much smoother feel. I had to replace the chain since the Z chain didn't mesh well on the Sachs. I had to replace the bottom bracket when it was a month old. Diamondback has had a bad batch from what I understand. They replaced it with a better bracket but I do not know the name.

Lake Hefner

3 months

Sachs Freewheel and Chain, Clipless pedals

Submitted by Mike Holtkamp a cross-country rider from Gainesville, FL

Date Reviewed: February 11, 1999

Bottom Line:

This is a good overall bike for the price. Aluminum frame is strong yet light but deraileurs components could be of higher quality. The second day I had the bike the Acera front unit had to be taken off and replaced by a Shimano XTR. I have not yet had a problem with the one piece brake/shift levers but if one portion were to fail the whole unit would have to be replaced. No suspension fork but I would rather have that then a low-grade, unadjustable suspension fork. For the price this is a good bike.