Diamondback 1999 Outlook DX Rigid Bike

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

1999 Diamondback Outlook DX, mountain bike, non-suspension, Shimano Altus components, Lung I fork

Submitted by Derek M a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2013

Strengths:    Steel...and I stole it! I bought this off Craigslist in 2013...I don't think the the owner rode it more than twice before he stuck it in the attic to gather dust for the next 14 years. It was in perfect, showroom condition! Anyway, this is getting ridden more than my FS XT/XTR all-mountain rig....I like the feel of steel, I like that I can lock it outside a coffee shop without being paranoid, and I like that it makes me feel all Marty McFly.

Weaknesses:    The free helmet that came with it crumbled like a badly wrapped mummy :)

Bottom Line:
I'm gonna ride it like it's 1999!

Favorite Trail:   El Moro

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by logan goheen a Racer from annapolis Md

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2001

Strengths:    Indestructable and reliable.

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
Great bike for your average biker. If you want to race it forget it, it's much to heavy. The frame has withstood harsh winters, multiple crashes and beatings. It's the best bike out there for the price, there is nothing that even comes close for the bike I would be willing to have payed $350. I am a road racer and use it in the winter and on trails I couldn't take a road bike. There is no need to get a $500 bike if all your going to do is hit some moderateley tough trails or get a workout on your nearby bike trail. Affordable, Reliable, and good looking what more could you want.

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   standard shimano Altus replaced pedals and handle grips

replaced handle grips and pedals

Submitted by john p a Weekend Warrior from bristol, ct, usa

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2000

Strengths:    Value - good entry level quality at a great price.

Weaknesses:    It's a first-timer hardtail.

Bottom Line:
If you want to find out what MTB is all about - it's hard to go wrong., For less than a set of road tires, you can catch the fever. I was a die-hard roadie until I got on this bike. Reasonably light, decent componentry, very upgradable, predictable performance. The shop will slap a front shock on this as my neext stretch onto the trail. This bike hooked me.

Purchased At:   country sports, canton ct

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Cannondale M400

Bike Setup:   Swapped out handlbars to flat bars, pedals to spd/platform combo, added sbc bar ends, shock post. Use SBC kevlar tires on trails, irc metro kevlar tires in city.

Submitted by Marc a weekend warrior from Columbus, OH

Date Reviewed: February 16, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have had a few problems with the bike, the seat broke for one, but was quickly replaced by Diamondback. Also there are sometimes problems with the shifting system, but I really put a beating on the bike and it holds up. Overall a good deal for the money.