Cannondale 2000 M400 Rigid Bike

4.45/5 (11 Reviews)

mountain bike, non-suspension, Mountain Mix components, Cannondale fork

Submitted by Stevir G a Weekend Warrior from Wilmington NC USA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2010

Strengths:    It is a quick bike very light. The derailors have been upgraded it looks like to Shimano STX and Shimano Acer X.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
It seems to be a great bike for me so far. I ride the game land gravel roads and the woods behind UNCW Campus. I am just getting back into riding I am 45 yrs old and need to lose weight. This bike handles well for me so far. I am glad I found it.

Favorite Trail:   Behind UNCW Campus Wilmington

Purchased At:   Bought it used off o

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hard Rock (SOLD) and a Cannondale M 500 (Which I still own)

Bike Setup:   It came with a suspwnsion post??? seems ok. Shimano STX Rear Derailor and Shimano Acer X Front Derailor. Shimano Center Pull Brakes. Would loke to put a front suspension fork on it if anyone has any ideas.

Submitted by jokermistique a Weekend Warrior from battle creek, mi, usa

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2009

Weaknesses:    i havent found anything i dont like about my new bike

Bottom Line:
im in love with this bike i would like to put a set of shocks on the front of it mabey a lefty if its possible

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   friend

Submitted by John W a Weekend Warrior from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2004

Strengths:    Great frame, light and strong. Mostly been using it on rocky, steep trails where the pedal and chain broke first month. I think with the proper upgrades this bike will be sick.

Weaknesses:    Breaking.

Bottom Line:
Bike needs to be overhauled, but once done I think will be a lot more fun. Maybe it will stop breaking then.

Favorite Trail:   my back yard

Bike Setup:   2000 Cannondale M400 w/Manitour Magnum Shocks, Shimano v brake, suntour de-railer.

Submitted by derek dick a Weekend Warrior from toronto, canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2001

Strengths:    the frame is light, comfortable for tall guys like me. looks good.

Weaknesses:    the rear wheel gave out after 2 months of wimpy city driving. components are crappy, i get the feeling you're just paying for the frame.

Bottom Line:
i wanted a good bike to do commuting in the city. it has failed me but with better components i could see it being a good bike.
also, cannondale's customer service people were terrible to deal with; after dozens of emails/phonecalls/visits, and lots of grovelling i got some response.

Purchased At:   pedlar

Similar Products Used:   tried out trek

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by railtrailbiker a Weekend Warrior from Bergen County, NJ

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2001

Strengths:    Design, craftsmanship, weight, appearance (paint and lettering), durability, ease of service, overall performance

Weaknesses:    Caliper brakes

Bottom Line:
Yes, call me a nut case if you must. I own two (2) Cannondale M400's. Go figure.

My other is a 1999 model and is set up for off-road riding (read my other review). This one is set up for pavement riding - my bike mechanic changed the tires from stock off-road to slick pavement ones.

I love this bike. It was a left-over that no one else wanted because of the color (Afterburner Orange) and the lack of shocks. Their loss I say. This baby rides like a dream and I got it for a great price in comparison to what the 2001 models are going for.

Again, sometimes the best things in life don't cost a fortune.

ALUMINUM HARDTAILS RULE BOYS AND GIRLS!

Favorite Trail:   Saddle River County Bike Path

Purchased At:   Bikeworks, Rochelle Park, NJ

Similar Products Used:   1999 Cannondale M400

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of an underseat bag, water cage, mini-pump, and a change over to slick tires

Submitted by jim a Weekend Warrior from md, md

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2001

Strengths:    Made in Bedford PA, good mix of parts

Weaknesses:    chain guard needed to keep chain off of frame

Bottom Line:
IF you want a bike you can ride on the moon or one that won't fit on your bike carrier, then this is not the bike for you. I got the SLR settup, with slicks and a riser bar - great mix for the city. Just change out the tires and you can hit the trails. This bike uses the nexave rear shifter, no problems but the chain has a bit of play in it - just use a chain guard to keep it off the frame.

Light bike for the price range. Components are not the best, but could always be upgraded.

Bottom line, if you want to spend your money on fancy shocks and disk brakes, don't get this bike. But if you want a good frame with a fair mix of parts, this is the machine for you. Support the USA

Bike Setup:   slr stock with nexave and stx

Submitted by RYAN a Racer from SAN FRANCISCO, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2001

Strengths:    IF YOU WANT TO BE A SUCCESSFUL BIKE MESSENGER IN SAN FRANCISCO YOU'LL NEED A BIKE THAT CAN HANDLE ANY HILL, AQUIRE A GREAT AMOUNT OF SPEED, DODGE BUSY TRAFFIC, EVADE CARELESS PEDESTRIANS, AND QUICKLY MANUEVER THROUGH THE CITY STREETS WITH EASE. THAT'S WHY I RIDE THE CANNONDALE M400. THIS VERY LIGHT, SWIFT, SMOOTH CORNERING RIGID BICYCLE HAS HELPED ME DO EXACTLY THAT. AND FOR THE PRICE, YOU CAN'T BEAT IT. IT PERFORMS EVEN BETTER NOW WITH THE ALL UPGRADES I'VE DONE. I DON'T ONLY USE IT FOR WORK, BUT ALSO FOR COMMUTING AND WEEKEND CRUISING. I WOULDN'T CONSIDER MYSELF TO BE A REAL FAST RIDER(BEING AN INTERMIDIATE LEVEL BICYLIST AND ALL), BUT IF MY BICYCLE COMPUTER IS READING CORRECTLY, THEN I CAN SAY I'VE MANAGED TO HIT 38.5mph THE FIRST TIME PEDDALING DOWN THE CURVY ROADS OF THE PRESIDIO. AND IF MY COMPUTER AIN'T RIGHT(WHICH I DOUBT), THEN THE FACT THAT I WAS PASSING CARS DOWN THAT HILL WAS A GOOD ENOUGH ASSUMTION FOR ME THAT I CAUGHT SOME SPEED. DID I MENTION THAT IT WAS A SMOOTH RIDE. I LOVE EVERTHING ABOUT THIS BIKE. IT LOOKS GREAT. I GET COMPLIMENTS ALL THE TIME. RANDOM PEOPLE ALWAYS ASK ABOUT IT AND THE OTHER MESSENGERS SEEM TO DIG IT.

Weaknesses:    IT'S NOT A DISC BRAKE COMPATIBLE FRAME. AND NOT HEADSHOK COMPATIBLE AS WELL. I DON'T PLAN TO ADD FRONT SUSPENSION ANYWAYS.

Bottom Line:
IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN EXCELLENT MOUNTAIN BIKE AND DON'T WANT TO SPEND THAT MUCH MONEY, THEN THIS WOULD BE A GREAT CHOICE. YOU CAN STILL DO ALOT WITH IT WHETHER YOU WANT IT TO BE FULL MOUNTAIN, CROSSBIKE, OR FULL ROAD SET UP. IT'LL GET YOU TO WHERE YOU NEED TO GO. IT HANDLES VERY WELL WHEN IT COMES TO CORNERING, CLIMBING STEEP HILLS, GOING OFF-ROAD, DOING TRICKS, OR JUST PLAIN CRIUSING AROUND.

Favorite Trail:   ALL OVER SAN FRANCISCO

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   TREK MOUNTAIN TRACK 850, NOVARRA BUZZ

Bike Setup:   WHEN I BOUGHT THE BIKE IT WAS EQUIPPED WITH DEORE LX COMPONENTS, CODA CRANKSET AND GRIPS, AND MICHELLIN 26x1.25 CITY GRIPPERS. NOW, I FLIPPED THE STEM UPSIDE DOWN TO LOWER THE POSITION OF THE HANDLEBAR. I SIT ON A CODA SADDLE. UPGRADED TO BE FULLY EQUIPPED WITH XTR COMPONENTS(DRIVETRAIN, BRAKES, LEVERS/SHIFTERS)EXCEPT FOR THE DEORE XT HUBS AND DEORE XT 11-32 CASSETTE. THE XTR LEVERS AND SHIFTERS ARE SUPERB. 26x1.0 SLICKS ON MAVIC X517's. COMFORTABLE OURY GRIPS. I'M STILL PLANNING TO REPLACE THE STOCK 135mm STEM TO A 120mm THOMPSON OR RACE FACE STEM AND APPLY A CHRIS KING HEADSET. AND IF I RUN OUT OF THINGS TO DO, MAYBE I'LL GET A LIGHTER FORK AND A LIGHTER SEATPOST.

Submitted by Harry Miller a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2000

Strengths:    Light,welding is clean

Bottom Line:
Bike, fork and pedals were cheap($). Bar and post weren't.Still best bang for your buck. Light, stiff, great climber and costs less than my buddies bikes(who all spent more and like mine better)I ride pretty aggressive and quite often, my stock cranks are flawless and they still shift perfectly. Buy this bike, then buy a fork(mars 1 is a great fork and cheap)you will love it!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   trek 6000, gt saddleback

Bike Setup:   Mars 1
CT2 bar and post
fizik saddle
Valiants with xtr's
nashbar pedals

Submitted by John Giordano a Cross Country Rider from Bronx, NY, U.S.A

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2000

Strengths:    Great Frame, excellent XT rear derallieur, sexy cannondale welding, decent CODA crank

Weaknesses:    Crappy Front Derallieur, Heavy front fork, cheap ass shifters, cheesy tires

Bottom Line:
Not a bad bike for beginner to advanced. Frame is excellent, and worth upgrading the components. Cannondale needs to put an LX front derailleur on this bike. Chain slack is an issue, so is chain suck, better get a lizard skin for the chainstay or kiss the paint goodbye. Saddle looks like something from a Cruiser, rear tire not great for hard packed slippery mud, or NY cross country riding.
Buy it and enjoy it! I recommend putting a front shock on it a s soon as possible!

Favorite Trail:   Van Cortlandt Park

Purchased At:   SIDS

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000, Gary Fisher HooKooieKoo, Fat Chance

Bike Setup:   Deore Front, XT rear Mega 9, Deore shifters, brake levers, V brakes, Weinmann Dac19, IRC Mythos skins, Coda Comfort Saddle, Coda Crank, SRAM chain, XT cog

Submitted by Goon Koch a Cross Country Rider from North Wales, PA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2000

Strengths:    Frame, 9 sp. gearing, XT rear derailleur: Great value.

Weaknesses:    Shifters, brakes, stock saddle.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic frame: very stiff and light. I found this to be the best "entry level" package anywhere, because you get a great, upgrade-worthy frame while not wasting money on a near-worthless suspension fork. The basics, though, are here: Shimano Mega-9 cassette with the great XT rear derailleur, decent Weinmann ZAC19 rims. Everything else works well enough for cruising, but is an update candidate pretty much right away.

I've mounted slicks for everyday commuting, and I throw the Mythos's back on for the weekends. It's a beautiful machine, and I like the stealthy black, although I'd like the matte black from a few years ago even better!

Caution: the fat 'dale downtube means you can't use a frame-clamp style roof rack attachment.

Purchased At:   Adventure Bicycle Co.

Bike Setup:   Scott AT-4 bar, Ritchey Vector saddle, 100 psi slicks, otherwise still stock.

Submitted by AU a Weekend Warrior from Outer Space

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2000

Strengths:    Great bang for the buck!

Weaknesses:    No suspension.

Bottom Line:
New to MTN biking. Didn't want to buy something that cast thousands. This is a great deal. As I bike more, I am looking to upgrade with front suspension. All in all, I love the bike! Cannondale is quality, and that was what I was looking for.
Obviously, if you are heavy into the MTN bike thing, get hard-core. This had upgrade potential written all over it!

M400, circa 2000

Hey there, Does anybody out there know which forks can be used with this bike? I was told that only certain forks would fit. Thanks :cool:Read More »