Bianchi 2001 C.U.S.S. Rigid Bike

4.54/5 (13 Reviews)

Submitted by paul amstutz a Weekend Warrior from Ashland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2003

Strengths:    light but solid frame, handles nicely, very good quality components appropriate for this type of bike, nasty flat black finish, "your bike sucks" decal on chainstay

Weaknesses:    only the motor

Bottom Line:
This bike is a hoot! Instead of thinking about shifting, I think about getting enough oxygen, and how ragged my legs are getting. It handles better than my rigid 1985 diamondback, but it still makes me plan my lines further ahead than on the Id. I ride slower on this bike but have more fun at times because it encourages you to stop and smell the roses. This is undoubtedly the best $500 performance upgrade I've made. After suffering on the ss, I have picked up 2 or 3 cogs on the Id when I do my usual climbs. Whether you,re into suffering or simple fun this bike is a reliable, good value

Favorite Trail:   Hitt road

Purchased At:   used on E-bay

Similar Products Used:   this is first ss, other ride is ellsworth Id

Bike Setup:   stock, actually mine is the D.I.S.S. with avid mechanical disks-really nice for the wet, STEEP, downhills I ride

Submitted by Jochen a Racer from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Strengths:    Price vs. Componentry is pretty much unbeatable. Colour scheme is in the eye of the beholder. I would have preferred the no longer available B.U.S.S, but choose the C.U.S.S. over the D.I.S.S due to the superior component level. And it is supposed to be a simple SS, so why complicate things with disc brakes?

Weaknesses:    In my opinion Bianchi crossed oversightfully a front suspension designed frame with a rigid non-suspension adjusted fork making the bike front heavy, as the fork is basically too short. If you add a suspension fork, compare the length of the 2 forks and you know what I mean. (By the way, the stock fork weighs a whopping 2 lbs 5 ounces)

Bottom Line:
With the minor (??) changes I have made I have now a large 21.5 inch Bianchi SS weighting in at 21 pounds, pretty good for a bike this size. The frame is stiff, so are the cranks, there are no creaks and chain slap noises, there are no rattles and shifting issues. The C.U.S.S. is a whole new dimension to riding a bike on trails and I have to admit that I only used my other bikes twice since I introduced the C.U.S.S. into the stable of some other high-end toys some 160 miles ago. A whole different type of adventure and not necessarily much slower. It makes you wonder sometimes if it is worth to spend mass money on some high-tech machine, and this is exactly what the geared rider is thinking when you are bombing bye on the next uphill...”Single Speed On Your Left”... and he might be c.u.s.s.ing all the way back to the parking lot...

I can highly recommend trying one, but be aware, it is contagious...

Favorite Trail:   Lower Michigan Stuff

Purchased At:   Great Lakes Cycling

Similar Products Used:   No other SS's...

Bike Setup:   Added Titanium rigid fork (555 grams), which gives enough flex to absorb a good portion of the bumps combined with 26x2.35 Ritchey Z-Max tires front and rear. Changed the stock Chain to a high end SRAM (much lighter) and am about to change out the Bottom Bracket, which is a no brand boat-anchor compared to a regular UN-52 Shimano. Also added a cordless CyclePuter. Future plans will be to change out the Headset, as I have found a nice new red Cane Creek in my garage somewhere... All in all, I have an awesome 21-pound Bianchi SS (21.5" frame).

Submitted by Joel a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff,Az.

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2002

Strengths:    Beautiful frame; nicely equipped.

Weaknesses:    Cheap pedals.

Bottom Line:
Over time I've fallen in love with bikes before, but this cute little thing seduced me the first time I saw her in the shop. The last thing I needed was another bike. Yet when I layed my eyes upon that gorgeous Celeste complexion, with that outrageous Easton Ultra-lite curvacious body, I had to have her.
I rode her rigid for about a month, and she responded to my every command, just asking for more of the dirty. But she was wearing me out -- too unforgiving up-front for the big humps. so, I bought her a new front end, firm yet plush, just the way I like my girls to ride.
If you're tired of all the problems associated with complex multi-speed rides, simplify your life and rediscover the pure pleasure you experienced the first time you threw your leg over a bicycle. Single girls rule!

Favorite Trail:   Eldon Trails.

Purchased At:   Ruby Canyon Cycles, Grand Junction.

Similar Products Used:   Kona single.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except: X-Fly 80 fork; Time pedals; Syncros seat post and headset.

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Woods Hole, ma

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2002

Strengths:    Nice parts spec. Paul hubs, titec, raceface etc...

Weaknesses:    The aluminum is stiff, but it's light.

Bottom Line:
Nice bike. I tried SSing on a frankenbike with a chain tensioner. The chain kept falling off, and they had my size in stock CUSS at the LBS, so i went for it and am very happy that i did. the stock spec is very good, so you wont blow too much cash upgrading right away. if you ride clipless pedals, you will have to replace those, but other than that it's fine. the chain and BB are cheapies and will probably sh!t the bed sooner rather than later, but those are cheap. folks have complained about the seatpost. it's 26.8 so i couldnt just put on an extra from another bike, which was dissappointing... The wheelset is great. I am glad I got this bike. Tons of fun. My geared FS bike gets alot let use now, and I have alot more fun on the same old trails. If you are looking into a single speed, this is great option to start. If you price a complete surly 1x1 with the same parts, it's way more. i see it as basically getting the frame for free. way to go bianchi. great ride, and if you are a bike freak, get this instead of an extra chris king wheelset! same price!

Favorite Trail:   otis

Purchased At:   corner cycle

Similar Products Used:   frankenstein singlespeed

Bike Setup:   stock except eggbeater pedals

Submitted by aaron a Weekend Warrior from minneapolis mn Land Of The Free, etc.

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2002

Strengths:    Love it, irrespective of both the technology employed here.and my very subjective ideals regarding The Way Things Should Be (Points To Wit; Easton welded aluminum and not a lug or columbus sticker in site. The celeste looks almost cheap in this iteration) Good concept and great delivery with thoughtfully sourced components that would cost considerably more were they assembled piecemeal. (nice cranks- decent wheels)

Weaknesses:    well, to beat a dead purist horse, no lugs/cro-mo and welded aluminum does not road feel make. It feels a little canned, like most welded aluminum I've chanced to ride over the years.

Bottom Line:
Offers relaxed geometry and surprisingly adroit handling. In sum, a good city bike, and we all know about riding in Mn's jan-feb and watching steel rust and campagnolo deteriorate- This will be a great urban commuter.

Favorite Trail:   northwest passage-flume-chainsaw

Purchased At:   flanders bros- consignment lot

Similar Products Used:   well, not since the BMX days has the one speed fwheel come into play, and I've ridden both Klein and Cannondale, so somewhere within these pools of memory a familiar creature emerges...

Bike Setup:   Fenders, some funky michelin tires 20 or so pounds.

Submitted by Steven a Weekend Warrior from Urbana, IL

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2002

Strengths:    After only two days, can see this is the best bike I have ever owned. Light, uncomplicated, and totally rigid and quiet. I hate rattles, this bike has none. No derailler, less cables, and outstanding components.

Weaknesses:    The colors, although Bianchi tradition, are less than appealing. Presta valves (all high end bikes) are not gas station friendly. Tires are 2.1 inch, not ideal for packed trails, so switch to thinner balds if roads and trail use.

Bottom Line:
I searched the 'Net for hours looking for a single speed, lightweight, performance road or mtn bike. The CUSS is the winner. The DISS, 2002 model, has disc brakes... who needs them? More to break down. Find a CUSS 2001 model, if you can, and buy it at a discount as a "leftover", and you will eat a biking meal fit for a king. I adore this bike, it is so light that I can accelerate on a dime, and even climb with a little standing, 13 degree pitches! WHo should buy: bike commuters, midwesterners (flatlanders), techno-phobes, performance mongers. I will have this bike, I know, for a lifetime.

Purchased At:   BackBay Bike

Similar Products Used:   Have owned Cyclepro and Diamondback multispeed mtn bikes... not a similar bird to tghis uncomplicated CUSS.

Bike Setup:   Easy.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, fast, responsive, sturdy for such a lightweight bike, no extra mech. parts to snag or repair.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike. It's flat in Houston so I don't miss the gears or the hassle. If I need speed - I stand up and PUMP. Great for getting in shape. If you want to tackle steep trails or manuever logs/obstacles then you may need an 18-speed w/ the super-low gears. This bike puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. It's so light you can bounce off roots/curbs and always feel in control. There is *no* give or sway in this frame. The crank/pedals creak a bit when pumping - but I'm a big guy so maybe that's normal. I can't recommend this bike high enough. It will put the fun back in bicycling for you. And the ugly/cool color scheme is a real eye-catcher.

Favorite Trail:   Jones State Park

Similar Products Used:   Greww up riding single speeds - have owned other 21-speed MTBs.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by steve a Weekend Warrior from texas

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2002

Strengths:    easton ultralite frame, race face cranks, paul hubs, titec bars, stem, and seatpost.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
i wanted a singlespeed, but didn't want to spend the money to build up a bike from scratch. the c.u.s.s. seemed to be a great way to get into singlespeeding
for a great price.

Purchased At:   bluebonnet bicycles in lewisville tx.

Bike Setup:   stock except for shop substituted celeste spd pedals

Submitted by Keith a Racer from Piscataway, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2001

Strengths:    RaceFace cranks, Wheelset, and Disc Brake Mounts....and above all the price !!!

Weaknesses:    Cheesie Seatpost, RITCHY pedals (who still uses those other than Tinker ???)

Bottom Line:
Very good bike for the price....and SingleSpeeders are AWESOME !!!

Favorite Trail:   Chimney Rock

Purchased At:   Bike N Gear

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale 900SX converted to a 36 x 15 singlespeed with a Left and Discs.......wanted something different... I've been following my friends around with my SingleSpeed for the past 2 years.....It kicks

Bike Setup:   Bomber, I'm gonna change the stem to a Race Face 5 degree rise stem, new seat too much padding on WTB, seatpost has to go too.....Shimano pedals

Submitted by roger a Cross Country Rider from hyannis, ma

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2001

Strengths:    light, simple, quiet, oh so celeste!

Weaknesses:    are you kidding me? i haven't stopped laughing when riding this thing!

Bottom Line:
shut off the alarm, wipe the eye boogies out, grab your stuff, quietly close the door behind you, saddle up and see what happens. i swear, you won't be displeased and you'll become much more powerful inside and out. you know why? CUSS I SAID SO!!!

Favorite Trail:   trail o tears

Purchased At:   bike zone

Similar Products Used:   columbia good buddy, murray x24, mongoose tracker

Bike Setup:   stock, you know, race face this, titec that, wtb this and paul that. just say no to chris king and shimano!!!

Submitted by Drew a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Or, USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2001

Strengths:    Good comlete package, it rode well with all of the stock parts which were good to start with, good for non bike mechanical people who would take a lot of tome and money to try and build one themselves. really like the seat and the frame. very light bike.

Weaknesses:    pedals are ok, not the best but they work. could come with a super light front suspension as an option, can not have it all though.

Bottom Line:
looking to try something new for a fair rice, this is a good bike, heard next years model will have disc brakes which I did not want or need for around here since it is so dry, happy to get this years model.

Favorite Trail:   empty