Bianchi 2000 BuSS Rigid Bike

4.5/5 (14 Reviews)

Single Speed Mountain Bike -
  • Frame: Bianchi MegaPro, Easton Ultralite aluminum alloy, TIG-welded, Zero-Flex seatstays, rear-entry track dropouts, dual bottle mounts

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Conrad a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln, NE, USA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2003

Strengths:    good solid frame, good parts (excellent wheels) great handling. the UPS brown paint is the best part.

Weaknesses:    the stock parts cut a few minor corners (saddle, stem, headset). i put on a better WTB saddle (with gold glitter vinyl to match) and a synchros stem. i replaced the stock aheadset with a gold chris king.

Bottom Line:
    This is my 2nd aluminum mtn bike. I'm a steel-is-real guy and a die hard roadie, but the single speed bug bit me and I had to try one. Before this I had a 1998 BOSS (the orange one) but sold it because the 19.5" didn't fit (they didn't make a 21" inch size until 1999). I passed on the freaky green 1999 BASS, and as soon as I got word the new 2000 model was gonna be brown I ordered one immediately. I love this bike. I named him 'Rocinante' (after Don Quijote's brown horse). This BUSS is the baddest a** mtn bike in Nebraska! Little kids lean outside their mom's cars as they pass yelling "cool bike"! indierock girls coo at the brown paint. the gold parts scream 'Pimp Daddy'! Ok, I digress. You wanna know how it rides? It's a single speed and it's aluminum. Simple, stiff, and great handling. Great wheels (pauls hubs, wtb rims, nanorapter tires). I've ridden the wheels thru hell and they are still true. It's b*tchin'! No complaints. rock on

Favorite Trail:   alleys and parking garages at 3am

Purchased At:   Honker Hanger (no longer in biz)

Similar Products Used:   1998 Bianchi B.O.S.S.

Bike Setup:   stock except for saddle/stem/headset upgrades mentioned above, plus Bontrager RE-1 clipless pedals

Submitted by Deke from The Big City

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Strengths:    Shifts great, Light, Fast, Does great wheelies, Fascinates the hell out of people, Simple to adjust Paul hubs, No BS Avid Brakes, Has only one speed, Takes 5 minutes to clean, It makes you smile.

Weaknesses:    1. Doesn’t want to shift when climbing steep grades 2. Makes you question the multi $ Full Suspension XC rig you own. 3. Definitely Aluminum

Bottom Line:
    I always wondered what the hell these things were for. Now I understand. After your right thumb “air shifts” a couple times you don’t think about shifting again. When your RPM’s drop you simply stand up. I got home from my first ride both amazed and a bit confused. How can 1 gear do all this? I am not going to spew some BS about never riding my geared bike again, what I will say is that riding this is a blast and I will be doing it for a long time. If you can get on this bike and not smile…well lets just say you need some help. If the single speed idea has crossed your mind. Act on it. The B.U.S.S. is a great bike with a great spec. Go buy one.

Favorite Trail:   The River Trail

Purchased At:   Back Bay Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Multi $ Full Suspension XC bike with broken derailleur inner wire

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of Shimano M515 pedals and a secret tweak that adds 5mph to your Average Speed

Submitted by jim a Weekend Warrior from nyc ny

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2001

Strengths:    light and ugly. great to chain up and not be concerned about someone stealing the UPS bike.

Weaknesses:    pedals and the slip grips

Bottom Line:
    I was interested in a simple single speed to buzz around town in lieu of taking my main ride out.This bike was sitting in the corner of a shop, dusty, paint touch up in spots, and the rear tire flat.After a test ride, the grin on my face was ear to ear.This bike is to much fun.After living with the bike the grin effect has not worn off. A definite must for a moutain rider in a metro area.
    Big value rating for the price i paid and big overall rating for the fun factor.
    Taka da BuSS.

Favorite Trail:   anything with bumps humps and stumps

Purchased At:   upstate ny

Similar Products Used:   1967 schwinn sting ray

Bike Setup:   stock except the ringle nail pedals

Submitted by sean a Cross Country Rider from medford,ny, usa

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2001

Strengths:    Race face crank, Titec this Titec that, avid brakes ! !

Weaknesses:    Comes w/platform pedals :-( Have to change grips every other month cause ya wear em out so damn fast.

Bottom Line:
    Awsome bike for a beginner s.s.er.... People say it is ugly, but i think it is the best thingi ever boughtt..

Favorite Trail:   Cathedral Pines

Purchased At:   carl hart bicycles

Bike Setup:   B.u.s.s.

Submitted by Jeff Vance a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, simplicity, ease of maintenance, no dish in rear wheel, good hubs and cranks, strong

Weaknesses:    cheap pedals, saddle, headset, bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
    A very fun bike to ride! I like the simplicity and the light weight. I think replacing the stock tires with the
    Hutchinson Pythons made a hugh improvement. I run these tires at approx 30-31 psi and the traction, braking and
    cornering have greatly improved. I also get a bit of 'suspension' out of them. I plan on upgrading the bars to Easton Monkey Lites one day and that will also give me a bit
    more cush. The bike climbs quite well with the stock gearing. At times I want a 32t chainring and other times I want a 40t so I guess the 36-18 ratio is a pretty good compromise. I ride mostly in the Santa Cruz mountains and
    this bike makes you work to get to the top, but I am not walking too much more than I did on my gear bike.

These days I don't get to do as long of rides as I used to (a wife and 3 kids), so this bike forces me to get a more concentrated workout. I have not ridden my gear bike since buying this one, and that pretty much says it all!!

I knocked off one chili pepper onthe overall rating due to the poor original headset, bb, saddle and pedals.

Favorite Trail:   Plunge

Purchased At:   Slough's

Similar Products Used:   First ss.

Bike Setup:   King headset, Specialized/WTB ti saddle (from old bike), Time ATAC pedals (from old bike), Hutchinson Python Gold tires/tubes, Avid 25 single digit brakes, and soon a Phil Wood BB.

Submitted by Ricky J a Weekend Warrior from San Looey

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2000

Strengths:    Great value, componentry, lightweight, handling, funky
    UPS truck motif!

Weaknesses:    Rather poor paint quality, rattly headset, clunky Shim-
    ano rearend

Bottom Line:
    I loved this thing from the first time I laid eyes upon
    it- something this ugly, how could ya not? It's a real
    hoot to ride- it's my 'round town blast along the rail-
    road tracks companion. Simple and efficient, it's like a dog that fetches its own leash...always ready to go!
    Great handling and climbs extremely well provided I put
    in the effort. As you might expect, it's very stiff ev-
    en in this 21" frame size- my '99 Trans Am saddle takes
    some sting outta that as do the new grips. Plastic ped-
    als are super cheapo but mean I can wear anything; may
    replace 'em eventually (or not). Biggest gripes? Stock
    headset never felt secure so I swapped it out for some-
    thing QUALITY. Shimano rearend knocks loudly under most
    conditions. Who cares, it's superfun. I'm gonna go ride
    it now...

Favorite Trail:   Anything Rideable

Similar Products Used:   My first SS bike

Bike Setup:   Syncros hinged stem, Titec bar ends, Selle Italia Max Flite Trans Am saddle, gold Chris King headset, thicker WTB grips, Salsa seatpost clamp

Submitted by Brennan a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, low maintenance, quality components, good value, unique.

Weaknesses:    Brakes, pedals.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is a blast. I love its simplicity. The aluminum frame and rigid forks do make for a rough ride, but only really unpleasant on washboard surfaces. Climbing hills is a challenge and sometimes the rear wheel begins to spin out under the heavy torque. But when you find yourself on level surfaces, a nice gradual incline, or a smooth downhill, riding this bike is pure pleasure. A lot of people don't like the brown/gold color sceme, but I like it in some weird way. The ugly look was intentional. I understand that BUSS stands for Butt Ugly Single Speed. This is not a glamour bike. It is for purists who ride for the sheer joy of it and are not concerned with winning fashion shows. With some slick tires, this would also make an awesome city bike.

Purchased At:   Supergo in Santa Monica

Bike Setup:   Replaced saddle and pedals.

Submitted by Bill a Racer from Martinez, CA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2000

Strengths:    Great line of componentry, paul hubs, race face cranks, Titec risers

Weaknesses:    pedals, brake levers

Bottom Line:
    Riding a geared bike became cumbersome after 12 years, the B.U.S.S was exactly the cure for a climber wanting more. The ride was easily adapted to my style , the grinds just make one stand a bit more often. The aluminum frame is more forgiving than my previous ones. My first race on a ss brought home first place, and only 3 minutes behind the winner of the expert class . I have neglected my geared bikes since riding the ss , one month and 22 rides later this could be a revelation . The rides get easier and the steep grades are all manageable with determination.

Favorite Trail:   Mitchell canyon, Diablo

Purchased At:   Napa cycles

Similar Products Used:   first ss

Bike Setup:   747's, manitou sx

Submitted by DAS a Cross Country Rider from Palo Alto

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2000

Strengths:    Light, great components, great geometry, cheap, prebuilt

Weaknesses:    Aluminim = OUCH. So ugly but I'm used to it.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is great for the price. I got a pretty good discount since it was sitting on the shop floor for
    months and months. SS bikes don't move very well since they are for a niche market. I instantly upgraded the pedals, bars, and seat so total cost was about $800. The geometry and lightness are great. It handles like a dart on the downhills and it's perfect for commuting to work. I chose to buy this one instead of building up a mix-mash steel bike because the component package was just too sweet for the price.

Downside? I wish I had shopped around for steel bike, since it turns out I spend a lot of time on this bike. But, pain is part of heavy duty SS riding, and the lightness pays off when you're hammering up the trails. It's a painful ride, but that's more because I choose a SS, not because I choose aluminum.

Bike Setup:   I upgraded to BMX pedals, riser bars, better saddle. Lots of great titec stuff...stem, seatpost. Good
    WTB tires and wheels. I tried Ritchey spds and it's much easier to climb that way

Submitted by Fred a Cross Country Rider from mission viejo, CA. u.s.a

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2000

Strengths:    frame and most of the components

Weaknesses:    headset bottombracket plastic peddles and brakes

Bottom Line:
    Other than the cheese ball bb and headset that will be replaced real soon this is the most compliant frame set I have ever ridden. If you stay off the brakes in severe bumpy sections you will be rewarded with a surprisingly smooth ride considering this is a totally rigid bike. If your lungs and heart can hold up to the abuse on the climbs you will be passing people in their granny rings like they are standing still. For the price and the amount of pure enjoyment one recieves from this bike this thing rules! One last thing is the pain only lasts a few moments and the satisfaction of doing your old trail on a ss is endless.

Favorite Trail:   any trail

Purchased At:   The Bike Co.

Similar Products Used:   someones homemade singlespeed at a local trail.

Bike Setup:   mostly stock except for 747 peddles, EA70 monkey lite 2in. riser aluminum bars and selle italia flite ti. saddle also added xtr brakes and levers and Ringle` front skewer.

Submitted by TONY THEBUTCHER a Cross Country Rider from NEWCASTLE CA.

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2000

Strengths:    LIGHT, LOW MAINTENENCE,NICE ANGLES.

Weaknesses:    TITEC SEAT POST BENT RIGHT AWAY. CRAPPY BRAKES.

Bottom Line:
    I BOUGHT THIS BIKE TO SAVE $$$ ON DRIVE TRAIN COMPONENTS DURING WINTER, WITH ALL THE MUD AND RAIN.AFTER A FEW MINOR UPGRADES, I SOON ENJOYED RIDING IT OVER MY OTHER BIKES.I FOUND IT TO BE A USEFULL TOOL IN COMPETING IN THE GEARED SPORT CLASS IN MY AGE GROUP.THIS BIKE WILL MAKE YOU A FASTER CLIMBER, WHAT DOESN'T KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER!!!

Favorite Trail:   HOLE IN THE GROUND

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   747'S, XTR POST,BRAKES,LEVERS AND B/BRACKET. SUPERFLY FORK,SERFAS BMX GRIPS. THE REST STOCK.

Submitted by Andy Friefeld a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2000

Strengths:    Light, stable handling, good parts spec for the price

Weaknesses:    Not that quick, cheap bottom bracket and headset. The Koski Fastback seat is really uncomfortable to me; i'll be replacing it soon.

Bottom Line:
    This is a really fun bike to ride as long as the climbs aren't too steep. It's light and easy to flick around. The stable handling makes the lack of a suspension fork much less of an issue than I thought it would be. I still use my full suspension bike for the really technical rides, but this bike is great to ride most places and it's really helping to improve my skills.

Favorite Trail:   Milagrosa Trail