Yeti Cycles 1999 A.R.C. Hardtail Bike

YETI A.R.C.

Submitted by Patrick Beeson a Racer from Bluff City, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2001

Strengths:    Handmade in Golden,CO frame, Easton tubing, beautiful paint, climbing and decending is superior to every other bike out there, doesn't beat you to death(like other AL bikes), very stable on the downhills, good angles, its a Yeti

Weaknesses:    There are no weaknesses when you are the best!

Bottom Line:
This is my second review on this bike, kinda like a follow up I guess. I made a few changes to the bike since I posted my first review, namely switching that horrid Rockshox SID to a Manitou Super and dropping the flex Spox wheels for Jumbo built XTRs. I must say, this bike is dialed! I have never ridden a bike quite as nice as this one, even with my many years working in bike shops. The climbing and decending abilities of the Yeti are second to none. On the techy stuff the bike has no twichey handling manners, remaining stable as a bull on the steeps. Climbing is where it shines though, just sit back and spin your heart out. I will probably be keeping this frame for awhile, unless I can sell for a Ti ARC! Buy this bike, leave the coporate rides for the posers...

Favorite Trail:   New Trail @ Warriors

Purchased At:   Piney Flats Bicycles and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Trek 9800(three of them), Pro-Flex 753, Mongoose Rockadile(first real bike)

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Time ATAC Carbon pedals, Thompson post, KORE Elite Stem, King Headset, Terry Fly Saddle, XTR/Bontrager/DT wheelset(jumbo built), CaneCreek barends, Titec 118 ti bar, Veredstein tyres, Manitou Super Fork

Submitted by Brian Chapman a Racer from Upper East, TN

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2001

Strengths:    LIKES TO GO REALLY FAST! Stiff, smooth, made in Golden, CO with love, light, predictable, loveable...

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses?

Bottom Line:
I took my ARC out on its virgin ride today. I was going to hold off until my parts got here, but I couldn't resist. I put an old SX Ti on it and took off.

The bottom line is that this bike is the best bike I have ever ridden. It transfers power like no other bike I have ridden, it climbs better than my old Klein, is smoother than my old Kona or Litespeeds, and better geometry than my 9800 (which I loved). This bike climbs like a goat, and decends faster than its pilot. Yeti didn't have it in stock, and painted it and got it to me in two weeks!!! Yeti has finally regained itself since they finally escaped from the wrath of the horrible giant Schwinn/GT. This bike is so awesome. The longest I have ever kept a bike was almost two years (Kona), but I think I will be able to keep this one for a long long time.

Buy this bike if you want the best all around riding cross country bike made. The only reason I could think of not to buy this bike is if you CAN NOT under no circumstances come up with the $$$. The customer service with Yeti is exceptional, and my hat goes off to Scott, Joe, the Chris', Vega, Volant (thanks so much for getting Yeti out of hell), and all of the kick ass employees at Yeti Cycles!

Favorite Trail:   'Ol #1

Purchased At:   PINEY FLATS BICYCLES AND FITNESS

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6500, Litespeed Obed, Trek 9800 (3 of them), Klein Attitude, Litespeed Unicoi, and most recently Kona Explosif (Reynolds 853)

Bike Setup:   Mars Elite (as soon as it gets here), Race Face Bar, Stem, and Seatpost, Cane Creek S5 headset (as soon as it gets here), Vredestein...

Submitted by Jack Jack Binks a Cross Country Rider from Santa Monica, CA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2000

Strengths:    Everything!

Weaknesses:    Price? Definitely not! The Yeti ARC was worth every penny spent.

Bottom Line:
This bike is the bomb! Any serious cross-country rider will benefit from the ARC's rigidity. $2500 for a bike was a little pricey, but after riding this machine for over three months, it has been well worth it.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized M2 S-Works, Klein Pulse, Cannondale F3000

Bike Setup:   Sid XC fork,Full XT (except brakes, which sucked), King Hubs. Time Atac's, Avid Arch Rival 50 brakes

Submitted by Patrick Beeson a Cross Country Rider from Bluff City, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2000

Strengths:    Handmade in CO, awesome welds and workmanship, climbs like a goat, decends like a bullet. This bike kills it!

Weaknesses:    Just the simple fact that I had to wait so f#@@ing long to get mine. Its number 168!

Bottom Line:
This is the bike for racing and all around riding, especially if you live in a mountainous part of the country. This bike likes to climb. If you want the best AL frame on the market look no futher than YETI Cycles. Call em up and talk to Scott if you have any questions. Hes an awesome PR guy that can help you out. YEAH MONKEY YEAH!

Favorite Trail:   Cardiac

Similar Products Used:   Trek 9800 for the last couple years...

Bike Setup:   Full XT, SID XC, SPOX wheels, Speedplay pedals, KORE, THOMPSON, King Headset, and one great YETI frame!

Submitted by Jason McCartney a Racer from San Diego,CA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2000

Strengths:    Does everything well,will climb anything you have the legs for,maybe the best descending hardtail ever, and just loves to be railed around on singletrack

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest frame out there,but still the sweetest ride around!!!

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for the best all around hardtail frame on the market then this is the one. It just does what a good hardtail frame is supposed to do. And yes the looped stays do make a difference that you can feel. This frame sprints and climbs like a demon, but is still compliant enough vertically to keep you riding happy.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Procaliber

Bike Setup:   Full XTR,RS Sid SL,Raceface stem,handlebar,and seatpost,Bontrager Racelite wheels,IRC mythos tires

Submitted by profeign a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1999

Strengths:
This bike Fking rocks.

Weaknesses:
Price and price alone

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike that has ever been made. I might be saying this because it was the first mountain bike I ever really took out but I have been riding on weekends for about a year now and have a GT LTS and a Cdale F2000 SX (the red/white/blue one with the lefty & dual discs) and the frame of the Cdale doesn't speak to me like the Yeti. Granted the Yeti costs twice as much and doesn't have discs or four inches of travel, but with a Marzocchi Z1 and Avid arch supremes the weight would be comparable and I would definitely opt for the Yeti. I never had to spend the money for the ARC because my friend Eric let me borrow it for a couple of weeks. If you think that's weird, you don't know how cool he is. He also has a Yeti DH-6 and a Cortina hardtail so when finals came around it wasn't too much trouble to let me sit on the ARC for a while. But much love nonetheless. Best hardtail frame made. Better than my new Cdale. Which ticks me off. I blow close to $2k and the bike I never appreciated is better than the one I ended up buying. Yeti did a damn good job, and I hope their buyout doesn't kill the best framemaker/linkage designers (Lawill) that I am aware of. 5 (clever synonym for burning) (clever interpretation of the chili system [plural]).

less than 1 month

I actually ride an '00 Cannondale F2000 SX

Full XTR
RS Judy w/carbon legs (and pitiful travel)

Submitted by Brad a Cross-Country Rider from Littleton CO

Date Reviewed: September 22, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight
Ride & Handling

Weaknesses:
No longer made

Bottom Line:
This frame ROCKS!!! It's less twitchy on singletrack than the GT Zaskar it replaced. Very stable on fast downhill w/Race Face riser bar. Climbs like a mountain goat on crack. Even with a
Judy SL instead of a SID It's still just over 24 pounds. The SID is lighter but the SL felt smoother. I used Race face cranks & rings w/their
bottom bracket and have had very good luck. The
Race Face headset keeps out any & all gunk I have
encountered. Mavic 517s w/Michelin Wild Gripper
greens are a strong & light combo and the Michelins live up to their name, they really hook up. The bike handles everything I throw at it, and
I ride pretty aggressively. With the Yeti turquoise and yellow paint, yellow Judy, Race Face
cranks, Kore stem, Yeti grips, SDG saddle and green tires it looks TOO SCHWEEEEEEET!! I hope I
am never able to break it because the new Yetis are NOT the same. A ride truly made in and for
Colorado. I had some problems getting the frame,
but Yeti was very helpful, cared that I wanted their product, and did what it took to make it right. I don't know about now, but at the time, a
very good company to work with.

Apex, Deer Creek, 3 Sisters