VooDoo 2000 HooDoo Sport Hardtail Bike

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano Deore LX components, Answer Manitou MARS CL, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Tim Dunn a Weekend Warrior from Indianapolis, IN

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2001

Strengths:    Value, value, value... Great frame built by Joe Murray, durable Shimano 9 speed specs, stiff, light, and climbs like a monkey.

Weaknesses:    Originally spec'd with a cheap RockSux fork and weak wheels (Supergo's doing). Do the right thing, upgrade before buying like I did. There's nothing I don't like about the bike itself.

Bottom Line:
A lightweight, great looking bike, built by a master, that goes where you point it, doesn't flex, takes tons of punishment, and can be spec'd how you want it at VooDoo's website. What more could you ask?
How about less than $700 bucks... If you want a strong, light hardtail that climbs fast, descends predictably, and won't break your wallet, this is your bike. Go buy one, stupid. Throw that heavy dinosaur your currently riding in the lake. The fish won't mind.

Favorite Trail:   Nebo Ridge

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   GT, Mongoose, K2, Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to a Manitou SXLE fork, 410mm Thompson seatpost (I'm short, so got the small 14" frame- excellent clearance and looks great with the tall seatpost), Selle Italia Flite full kevlar seat, and Mavic Crossride wheels with Panaracer FireXC fr tire and Ritchey Z-Max rr tire (best combo ever). Other than that, stock Deore/LX, Truvativ cranks, Titec cockpit, and Avid brakes. This setup brought the weight down to less than 24 lbs.

Submitted by Leo a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2001

Strengths:    Nice overall package. Components are good enough that you don't really have to replace anything until they break except for the fork if you ride in rough trails.

Weaknesses:    The bike I got came with a "Jett C" which would have been fine for light XC riding, but it's rather unforgiving on rough trails.

Bottom Line:
This was the first bike that I bought. I didn't do enough homework and paid for it. I should have gotten something that had a better fork such as the Bianchi Wannabee or the Schwinn Moab 1 or 2. But I can't really complain though. It climbs great and handles singletracks with ease(with the Judy fork). It has a rough ride, but it's an aluminum hardtail. I just run a lower pressure on the tires so I don't get my bones jarred. The badge on the headtube fell off and had to glue it back on, so much for the attention to detail being advertised. I crashed quite badly once going downhill, but the bike held up well and only suffered minor scratches on the chainstays. Despite the abuses and incompetence on the part of the rider, the bike is still working great. All in all, I'm happy with it.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   I upgraded the fork to a 2000 Judy Race and swapped out the risers to a flat bar and bar ends. That could be a step backwards for some, but I wanted a racier setup for climbing.

Submitted by Jotham Oliver a Weekend Warrior from Denamrk, Maine

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2000

Strengths:    price, value, quick

Weaknesses:    rims, tires

Bottom Line:
After three months of east coast pounding, I'm in love. This is a go anywhere, do anything bike. Quick as coyote through tight spots. Climbs well (could use a better rear tire), great descender. While I'll be looking for different rims and tires for next riding season, I don't feel the need to do a complete overhaul.
A great bike for anybody and Voodoo has a great way to buy it. My only fear about Voodoo is that they will grow too fast too soon. They have a awesome product that everyone should want. Check it out, you won't be let down.

Favorite Trail:   like I'd tell you