Ventana 1999 El Chiquillo Hardtail Bike

1999 Ventana El Chiquillo, mountain bike, front suspension, Buyer's choice components, Buyer's choice fork

Submitted by aaron gallardo a Cross-Country Rider from Lakewood, CO

Date Reviewed: November 13, 1999

Strengths:
Very light 3.1 lbs frame
Electric sex welds
nice drop outs

Weaknesses:
No replaceable der hanger...no problems yet

Bottom Line:
I just got done building this bike and really am I love with it. It climbs like a goat...not as fast on the downhill, but it will come. I using this bike to race next season in Colorado. This is a dream machine...I recommend this frame to all that looks for a stiff climbing machine. This puppy is the bomb!!! Thumbs up to Ventana!! Keep up the good work!!

Mt. Falcon

3 months

m2 pro specialized and KHS

SID XC 2000 black with Yellow frame
SRAM ESP 9.0sl w/ XTR Front
King headset
Raceface rings and crank arms LP
Dean seatpost, stem and rino bars
TIme ATAC pedals...SWEETEST

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Fair Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 1999

Strengths:
Great looking welds, climbs well, won this bike in raffle at Prairie City MTB races, sponsored by Ventana.Had a great time putting it together, my first try at building a bike.

Weaknesses:
Cost me a fortune to build, even with the free frame.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, and a unique one here, even near the home of Ventana.

Flume Trail, Tahoe

6 months

GT Avalanche LE

Marzocchi Z-2 Atom Bomb, XTR rear XT front derailleurs, XTR brakes, XTR RF shifters, Race Face LP cranks, Bontrager ASYM wheels, etc.

Submitted by Hiro a Weekend Warrior from JAPAN

Date Reviewed: April 4, 1999

Strengths:
Stiffness and sunstantial light weight

Weaknesses:
Minor cosmetic flaw and the position of cable stud for a front derailler.

Bottom Line:
I was very lucky since I coincidentally obtained the magazine tested frame form Ventana at substantially low price. I saw this test on Mountain Bike Action last November Issue in which several hardtails were ridden and compared and was indicating this frame way light and stiff for epic climbing machine. I was much impressed by this article since I was looking for a light and stiff frameset for my project that I'm planning to climb Japanese mountains by using a MTB. Before reading the article I was narrowing down my choice to a Klein frame but it was very hard to get at reasonable cost in Japan, in addition Klein frame has two basic problems that are the unique size of headset and pressfit bb which may not be easily altered to a conventional one. Coincidentally I got a chance to get this frame directly from Ventana, thanks a lot Eve! I quickly built my own with using commonly available parts, that are including Manitou SXR, XTR/XT mixed components and resulted in 22.7 LBS(10.3 Kg). Quickly I tried climbing steep hills around my home and found it's incredible climber! This is way light and very stiff. I felt I was on an escalator! I can ride on a middle ring, granny instead, over 7 to 8 degrees uphill and descending over a mound was very stable as if I were running over pavement. This is really a great one, no arguments. I will bring this one to mountains shortly for further testing and my joy. Just one design flaw I think is the position of front derailler cable stud on the seat tube which was just the center of the tube, but using XTR top pull requires a curved cable line around the stud. If this stud was placed a little offset toward the front derailler, I could build more straight cable line for it. Conclusion, this is one of the best climbing hardtail available in the market now.

Alpine trail

less than 1 month

Kelin Attitude

Manitou SXR front shock, XTR(Fr, Rear Deraillour, Hubs), XT(Crank, Chainring or so), TNT Ti bb, MAvic 517, Panaracer XC1.8, and other parts.

Submitted by Chris a cross-country rider from C.V. Cali

Date Reviewed: February 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

Damn this bike is sexy! The welds are the most beautiful I've seen. The Easton version is light. The bad news is I haven't done a complete build yet, Chris King hubs, WTB Powerbeams w/DT 14/15 spokes, sccaarryy sweet. I dreamof a Marzocchi SuperFly, Race Face H.s., R.F. b.b and cranks, GripShift 9.0. Icould go on but I won't, peace....