unknown 2001 Zed M Hardtail Bike

3.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by Daniel Lira a Racer from Saltillo Coah. Mexico

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Strengths:    Greta Bike for the price. Very good handling. I also think it climbs great. I have rode the bike the full month, and have not had any problems with the Noleen Mega Air fork. Of course i weigh 146 lbs.

Weaknesses:    Tires wash out very easily.
Front derrauiler

Bottom Line:
Great Bike for the money. Whats important are the legs not how much your bike costs.

Favorite Trail:   La Escondida

Purchased At:   Zeta Bike Division

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper, Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   Stock. I just Changed the front derrauiler to an XT

Submitted by Stube E. a Cross Country Rider from Helsinki, Finland

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff frame; no energy lost, no matter how hard you pedal. Light parts used and still most of them are strong. Great fork, works in everything from hc freeriding to racing

Weaknesses:    Tires (WTB nanoraptor) get grip only with extra low airpressure. Geometry works on freeriding, which means it doesn't work in climbing. Deore front detailluer sucks.

Bottom Line:
With small changes you can make this one a hardtailfreerider or a fast xc racer.

Favorite Trail:   Myllypuro

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   1.5.2002

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kula 97 & 00

Bike Setup:   Azonic O.R.S stem upside down, to help climbing

Submitted by shannon a Cross Country Rider from denver

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2001

Strengths:    This is an addition to my first review now that I've had more rides on the bike. The strengths remain the same.

Weaknesses:    After further pounding on Moab trails I found my seat clamp working loose on a regular basis. Because of this the bolt tore through the slotted spacer under the seat. My suggestion is to buy a seat post with a double bolt clamp.
the other problem I encountered was the Noleen Fork. I found the left leg was leaking down within a couple hours of riding. I had the seals replaced and it didn't fix the problem. So it has to be sent back to K2 and replaced. I found out there is a warranty claim on the older Mega Air forks.

Bottom Line:
My first review should have been 4 steamin chillies across the board, I made a mistake.
And after further rides on the bike I'm liking it even more.
When the Nollen fork is set up properly and holds air it works great. I was pounding down hills in Moab keeping close with guys on soft tails. The fork soaked up some pretty big hits that should of put me over the bars.
I did have an annoying problem with the chain falling off while hammering downhills. But it was fixed with a tune up.
Everything else worked good, and I feel the bike is well worth owning. I'm completely satisfied with my purchase.

Favorite Trail:   several

Purchased At:   Mojo Wheels

Bike Setup:   Off the shelf, so far.

Submitted by SLIPPERY II a Weekend Warrior from DENVER, CO

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2001

Strengths:    I have the 2001 Zed Team with the Noleen Mega Air Fork.
Good, strong frame worthy of future upgrades, very light (I think it weighs 23.5 lbs.) Handles very well on technical stuff and seems to be stable on the downhill. Climbs like a goat.

Weaknesses:    The saddle is a little hard, and the nanoraptor tires like to wash out easily in corners. Other than that, no problems.

Bottom Line:
This is my first high end hardtail. I think its a very good bike. I'm extremely pleased with it's overall performance and looks, along with the price. At a grand with all the good parts it's hard to beat. The Noleen fork seems to work very well, just make sure the dealer informs you on how to set it up. All the components are very solid.

Favorite Trail:   ALL OF THEM

Purchased At:   MOJO WHEELS

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale M300 with Rock Shock Indy Fork, Tektro V-brakes, cheap Shimano components.

Bike Setup:   Stock from the store. Shimano XT and Deore, Avid single digit 5 brakes, WTB rims, and disc ready hubs w/WTB skewers, Truvativ Stylo team crank, Titec stem, bars, and X-wing seat post.