Univega 2001 Boralite B4C Hardtail Bike

Submitted by jack a Cross Country Rider from IDAHO

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2001

Strengths:    SUPER STRONG, VERY LITE WEIGHT (3.22 LBS), NO FLEX, LOTS OF TOP TUBE CLEARANCE

Weaknesses:    TOO LITE ;), HARD TO FIND BIKE.

Bottom Line:
This bike is made of a space age metal matrix material called Boralyn.
Boralyn is a 6000 series aluminum thats impregnated with millions of tiny Boron-Carbide particles (B4C).
Based on the particles used the properties of the metal changes.
Univega uses a combination that gives the bike the strength of Titanium but the lite weight and stiffness of Aluminum. Sounded too good to be true.

Apparently they stopped making them cause they where too hard and expensive to manufacture.
I got this frame about 3 months ago, after breaking my aluminum cannondale. It took me a month to find this bike after I decided to get it.
I was doing extensive research to find a good aluminum frame. The spec's on this frame intrigued me.
I've owned steel, titanium and aluminum frames and I hate the way steel and ti feel. Too flexy. You feel like the frames are robbing your energy when you pedal. Not with aluminum and definitely not with this frame.
It feels like every ounce of force you put into the bike gets transferred directly to the dirt. And even thought the frame is super stiff it seems to absorb impacts better then titanium. After I put on my tubeless wheel set it feels almost like a low travel full suspension bike.

The frame is a cool Olive Drab color with a radically sloped top tube.
I love this bike. If you can still find it you wont be disappointed.
I'd give it 10 chili’s if I could :).

Similar Products Used:   CANNONDALE, YETI, LITESPEED, SPECIALIZED M2, SEROTTA.

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox SID SL, XTR/XT, Mavic Crossmax UST Disc wheelset, Race Face Cranks, etc.