Univega 2000 Alpina 700 Hardtail Bike

4.33/5 (12 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou Magnum R, 3.0" travel fork

Submitted by Barry a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, WA USA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2007

Strengths:    Durable frame, excellent components for the money, DISK'S BABY!

Weaknesses:    Front Fork could be better, stock tires were wrong for my riding, a little heavy.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. I bought hardtail (again- see my past bikes) and couldn't spend like before. The awesome Balance and the cherry Cannondale I had were both before I had a family. The balance was the best climber I've ever ridden, much less owned. Anyway, to the Univega. I chose it for its sound component setup and disc brakes. It had been sitting forlorn at Kisslers for some time, I made the best deal I could and took it home for about $550, IIRC.
My rides are around town, seeking out climbs and trails whenever I can. The bike has bee very reliable and handles well. Geometry coudl be a little more aggressive like the old AL-750, but I can adjust weight distribution as I need. It is reasonably comfortable to do hours of road work. I like the seat, but the spring in it is too hard to act anything like a rear suspension. I don't remember what I was expecting.
Love those BRAKES. Stopping in mud or any wet conditions is no longer a 'squeeze tight, close eyes, hope for best" type of ordeal. They are reactive, easy to modulate and will pop a cornea if you are not careful. It is for this reason that I set the shocks to a fairly soft setting. They take some of that force and help prevent the infamous ass/teakettle maneuver.
Good bike for the money. I still miss my AL.

Favorite Trail:   Powell Butte

Purchased At:   Kisslers in Beverton

Similar Products Used:   Balance AL-750, C-dale M-800, GT Outback

Bike Setup:   Stock, Added bar ends, cut the handlebar 5" to narrow it.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2002

Strengths:    Unbelieveable durability

Bottom Line:
I had to write because I have given this bike such a beating and it just keeps going and going like a champ. I bought it used on Ebay as a second bike (a beater) to use on trails with lots of rocks and drops, logs, mud and other things I didn't want my expensive race bike to encounter. This bike is so tough! I weigh 200+ and I cannot hurt this tank. If your question is durability for XC, buy it! It will not fail you.

Similar Products Used:   K2

Bike Setup:   Mostly Shimano LX

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Strengths:    Components are quality. Wheels never needed truing in 12 months of hard riding. Good geometry/handling.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy (around 30 lbs.), but for this price range, that's probably about standard. The stripped-down frame weighs about 4.2 lbs., making it a little shakey for upgrading other components.

Bottom Line:
This is an update of my earlier review now that I have had a year to try and wear things out. I've been very happy with the performance and durability of this bike. It has been an excellent value and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great starter bike that can take abuse and keep on going. I've progressed enough with this bike that I'm moving on to something lighter, but I've got no complaints about this bike. As far as the color scheme and overall appearance, I haven't seen many stock bikes that are prettier.

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island

Purchased At:   Ordinary Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   GT Agressor 1.0

Bike Setup:   Promax discs (delivered, as promised by dealer to replace diatech discs); added Koski fully-forged stem to go with Koski riser bar.

Submitted by "Oly" a Cross Country Rider from mineapolis, mn, usa

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Strengths:    Everything. very sharp, well equipped, well performing piece of machinery.

Weaknesses:    Seatpost...seatpost, and the seatpost

Bottom Line:
Bottom lime best deal you can get, I LOVE this bike. Great components frame etc. The list goes on and on.

Submitted by JOSE CALDERON a Cross Country Rider from HERMOSILLO, MEXICO

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2001

Strengths:    price, color, performance

Weaknesses:    the suspension leaked but i used teflon to solve the problem

Bottom Line:
The bike climbs smoothley and descends very well, I was surprise of its performance the selection of colors used to paint it makes it look very pro. I do a lot of night riding and I have found that a flat bar is better than a riser bar because you can install your light system better. I am so pleased with this bike that I have my Gary Fisher Sugar 3 as my second bike.

Favorite Trail:   La Jolla

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Bike Setup:   Manitou R, Promax dc600 Disc Brakes, Time Pedals, Koski riser bars, Vuelta anti snakebite rims, Deore group

Submitted by Ray a Racer from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2001

Strengths:    The after market products that come with this bike far outmatch anything I have seen on the internet as well as in numerous shops. From the wellgo clipless pedals to the promax disc brakes this bike impressed me. Another strength the double butted 7005 heat treated alluminum frame. For a hardtail this bike is plush.

Weaknesses:    The owner/dealer switched out the quacky seatpost and upgraded my brakes for free! The original post bobbed around and altered the seat hieght way too much for me to be comfortable with. The old model brakes supposedly had a high degree oif drag to them so for no additional cost the shop owner switched them out and also TOLD me!

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! Not too many bikes fit me as well as this bike does. Most either stretch me out too far over the bike or have too much of a rise on the front end for me to get the right rider geometry for my size. After a few minor alterations at the bike shop (seatpost, stem angle, brake upgrade for free) I found this bike to be the perfect mixture of race goemetry and wieght as well as an amazing set of aftermarket products. It handles well in techical spots with even wieght distribution as well as keeping most of the wieght low on the bike. The hardtail is responsive and the rear triangle has just enough flex for the downhill. The Bike steers well and works well with the Magnum R's travel. You will be hard pressed to get a bike as race ready as this for that price. Beyond that and most importantly, thanks guys at APB for being honest about the products and helping me find the best sollution-you've got my business!

Favorite Trail:   Bull Mountain

Purchased At:   APB

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fischer HKEK and Super Caliber, Balance comp, Trimble.

Bike Setup:   Manitou R, Promax dc600 Disc Brakes, Wellgo Pedals, Koski riser bars, Vuelta anti snakebite rims, Deore groupo.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2001

Strengths:    Love the paint scheme. Good component package for the money. Handles well. Clipless pedals.

Weaknesses:    Diatech brakes work well but don't completely break contact with the disc when they're released. (factory is sending me a set of the upgraded Promax mechanical discs, which I stipulated before buying). As mentioned, the caps on the Manitou fork tend to leak. Teflon still bled some oil through. I solved it by putting blue "Leak Lock" compound on the threads (available from refrigeration supply house)

Bottom Line:
I searched every bike shop and internet site I could find and was not able to find more bike for the money (the Raleigh M600 is made by the same parent company and is identical in componentry except for Judy XC instead of Manitou Magnum R, Deore crank instead of TruVativ Firex, and different tires and bar--I prefer the Univega because of a better color scheme and riser bars)
I got so much more for my money over the GT I bought earlier in the year. The frame geometry must be superior too, because this bike handles much better. In short, for looks and performance at a value, this bike can't be beat.

Favorite Trail:   "Fantasy Island"

Purchased At:   Ordinary Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   2000 GT Agressor 1.0; 2000 Raleigh M600 (wife's bike)

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Tyson Wellington a Weekend Warrior from Ashland OR USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2001

Strengths:    Well the frame hasn't broken yet.......

Weaknesses:    Been through two cranks, they recalled the brakes and havent got the replacement for the front yet. The seat wombles alot because of the spring.

Bottom Line:
Well.....it rode good for the first month and since then it has been showing its true product quality, summed up as sh#@ !!!
For the best hardtail Univega has, I think i should have looked else where.

Favorite Trail:   Hasnt seen much of the trail

Purchased At:   Kissslers

Similar Products Used:   GT, Trek, even the huffy i had stayed out of the shop more!

Bike Setup:   All stock, except for the lower spindle and crank i had to replaced.

Submitted by Anthony a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2000

Strengths:    Price, Seat Post, Manitou Fork

Bottom Line:
By far the best bike I have ridden. I use it to commute to and from work during the week and beat it up on the trails on weekends. This bike is smooth and comfortable on long road rides and is extremely soft on the hard trails. The suspended seat post allows me to stay in the saddle on rougher terrain which minimizes rear tire slipping up hills. The unbelievable price I got at a local dealer makes the ride even sweeter. You'll have a tough time getting these components on another bike at this price.

Purchased At:   Action Cycles