Univega 2000 Alpina 600 Hardtail Bike

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou Magnum, 3.0" travel fork

Submitted by xavier aldape a Weekend Warrior from Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Strengths:    weight, frame design, components

Weaknesses:    seat

Bottom Line:
I use this bike every weekend...I have used different ones (with similar components) but only on this one I feel really confident on pushing up to the limit.I used to hit my knees with other bikes frames, specially on sharp curves, but not with these one (perhaps because of the frame design)...Excellent bike for beginners. 7005 Al Frame is great for this price.

Favorite Trail:   el venado

Purchased At:   tiny store

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh M80

Submitted by kevin stone a Weekend Warrior from hollis maine usa

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Strengths:    the suspension is nice and the kenda tires are great.

Weaknesses:    the derailer wires sterched after thefirst 200 miles then i got them tighted and then they streathed after mile 300

Bottom Line:
this is my second univega and i love it! i rode the trek across maine on it and it held up perfect. I do alot of soft sand trails and very hilly rocky poll lines. i love it!!

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   back bay bike

Similar Products Used:   fugi, the univaga will always be the best

Bike Setup:   nice your weight is preporsioned nice over the back tire.

Submitted by ethan from bummerton, wa, usa

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2000

Strengths:    pretty much everything! took of the toe clips first thing, and i also swapped the riser bar for bar ends, but that's a personal prefferance. great bike!

Weaknesses:    plastic toe clips are really weak. especially for big feet like mine! seat could be slightly softer, but i don't use it enough to complain.

Bottom Line:
i'm hard on bikes so i need a strong bike. i'm also a student, w/o much of a job, so it also has to be inexpensive (both to buy and opperate). scrap the toe clips and have fun! this is the best bike for the money that i've seen. and not much money to boot!

Favorite Trail:   one i havn't ridden yet

Purchased At:   silverdale cyclery

Similar Products Used:   1995? giant iguana se

Bike Setup:   stock sans toe clips. also bar straight bar w/ bar ends (off above mentioned bike).

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, Virginia

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2000

Strengths:    Good solid bike for the money. Frame and components are a good value.

Weaknesses:    Toe clips really stink.

Bottom Line:
I am really digging this bike! It is my second mountain bike in less than a year, and I am very happy with my purchase.

Similar Products Used:   It was between this and the 2000 K2 Zed V. This was a much better value, even with the K2 on a closeout!

Submitted by D.J. Walters a Weekend Warrior from Warrensburg

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2000

Strengths:    brakes, components, weight,

Weaknesses:    saddle, rims, clipped pedals

Bottom Line:
One of the best bikes I have ever had, so much so when you get on you want to hurt yourself. Second night I had it I got to go to the ER for a little bit of face and head trauma. If it is what you want pay for a bike, I suggest go get it.
D.J.

Favorite Trail:   Katy

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hard Rock, etc

Bike Setup:   stock except for handlebars with bar ends, hopefully more will change before long.

Submitted by Robert Aspen a Cross Country Rider from VT

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2000

Strengths:    Great bike with good parts for the price.

Weaknesses:    Toe clips suck, switch to clipless

Bottom Line:
I use this bike for comuting to work, riding around town and hitting the local trials. I needed a quality bicycle with good parts that was going to last a long time that I wasn't going to have to donate a kindey to afford. The Alpina 600 is that bike I was looking for. I manitou fork is wonderful and the brakes, gears and shifters really hold up well. I am thinking about upgrading to a suspension seatpost but other then that I love the bike!

Bike Setup:   Off the bike shop floor