Univega 2000 Alpina 500 Hardtail Bike

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by Ray Evans a Weekend Warrior from Dana, N.C. , U.S.

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2002

Strengths:    Frame, wheel set

Weaknesses:    brakes, seat

Bottom Line:
For the $ the bike can't be beat!! Purchased as a beginner and has held up great. The changes that I made were out of preferance not need. I ride the bike places that are technacial, that the high $ bikes go and have no trouble. It has really held up great and I would highly recommend this bike to anyone just getting into the sport. You will be HOOKED. My only problem with the bike is I can't wear it out!!

Favorite Trail:   Big Rock Trail

Purchased At:   Bike Ways H'ville,N.C.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500, Giant Ukon

Bike Setup:   Shamano crank, brakes, WTB tires, Koski seat

Submitted by Chad a Weekend Warrior from Rowlett, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2001

Strengths:    Good frame and components for the price. Shifts very precisely even when dirty.

Weaknesses:    Weak brakes need to be adjusted frequently. Problems with reliability.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money but I don't plan to stick with the stock components any longer than I have to. Good for entry level riders like myself who don't have the money to spend on a higher level bike.

Favorite Trail:   Cedar Hill State Park

Purchased At:   Wheels In Motion

Similar Products Used:   Giant, GT, Raleigh

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Ace a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta GA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2001

Strengths:    Price compared to value. The frame is very good and the bike is very upgradable. The bike handles very well on both fast trails and technical trails

Weaknesses:    Riser bars have awkward position. the pedals need to be adjusted to fit properly and the brakes need constant adjustment.

Bottom Line:
This is a very good bike for the price. I ride with people on high end machines but it has never put me at a disadvantage.

Favorite Trail:   Mansell

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Sherdy a Cross Country Rider from Waltham,MA,USA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2000

Strengths:    Solid frame, nice added features (disc mount ready, replacable rear derailleur dropout).
Wheels take a beatin

Weaknesses:    low end drivetrain component setup.
RockShox Jett forks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
v.good entry level bike. The frame is excellent and is perfect for upgrades. Even though the drivetrain is low end they still take a pounding along with the wheels. Best to ride them to they break and then upgrade :-)
I hate the Jett forks though...This is the only real let down on this bike.

Basically overall it is an excellent bike to startout with and then upgrade the components as the frame is v.good to hold onto.

Favorite Trail:   Massabesic

Bike Setup:   adding Xt components and Judy XC forks this week and then disc brakes...

Submitted by Tammi Boswell a Cross Country Rider from Marstons Mills, MA USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2000

Strengths:    Frame, tires, headset

Weaknesses:    brakes, Front suspension

Bottom Line:
I love this bike but will be upgrading to at least a Judy XC and adding disc brakes. I am an avid rider and have raced only once but am practiceing to race more. I am 5'8" tall and this bike fit me well. My previous bike was a Mongoose Aluminum rigid frame hybrid, and it was OK but this is my first real mountian bike. I am sure I will upgrade the bike to much better components as they wear, and may decide to get a better bike as I gain skill but for now this is a great starter bike for a woman interested in racing.

Favorite Trail:   trail of tears