Univega 1999 Alpina 600 Hardtail Bike

4.53/5 (15 Reviews)

1999 Univega Alpina 600, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou Spyder, 2.75" travel fork

Submitted by Matt Beaudin a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2009

Strengths:    Affordable, durable, comfortable, responsive.

Weaknesses:    ...none?

Bottom Line:
Did a rebuild 3 years ago upgrading the brakes from cantilever to V-Brakes, and the push shifters to trigger shifters. Not a problem since. This bike can take and has took a serious beating since I've owned it, but it has never once had a problem.

I use it primarily for commuting, some light single track, etc. I ride in traffic with it because i trust the components and have never had a problem. I do all my own work as well. The version I have is over 10 years old and has never, ever had a problem.

Similar Products Used:   Norco Nomad, Leader bikes, Norco Bigfoot

Bike Setup:   Hardtail, rock shocks (simple foam spring) shimano hardware, Rock solid frame, mavica rims.

Submitted by Sean Holt a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2001

Strengths:    It is an amazingly strong bike, cmes with an awesome shock and i love it to death. I've tried to ear it up, but just about everyting on the bike are completey perfect. I can't get enoug of the Manitou Magnum shock, ive had betyter, but it is perfect for the bike! AWESOME CLIMBING!

Weaknesses:    The only thing i have had a problem with isthe chain-rings. They are really weak chainrings for the hard trails i do daily. The one time i slipped off a trial, it bent my chain ring horribly. Ipent 50 bucks on a new crank set, and it hasnt givenme problems.

Bottom Line:
Well, bottom line is, if you are looking into gettin this bike, GET IT!!!!!!!!! IT ROCKS!!! Don't even waste your tim looking at anything else. Trust me! Get this if yo like hard-trail riding fit for hard-tail use!

Favorite Trail:   Cypresswoods!!! MP sucks ass!

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   GT Outpost (lol, Zach) If interested, he's selling it for 325, Nice bike!

Bike Setup:   Stock, except new crank, uuuuhhhhhh it is....some kind of shimano. I also got a Michelin Red Comp S tire for my back wheel. (lot-o-sand kinda guy)

Submitted by Rit update of preveous review a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2001

Strengths:    strong frame, overall good components

Weaknesses:    spyder fork sucks, chain comes off during back pedal (anyone else have this prob?...email me). factory tires sucks, bottom bracket squeaks.

Bottom Line:
worth good money. If you are gonna pay around 500...you can find a better bike that will need less upgrades. The fork has got to go....I been trying to fix the damn thing for a while now...but its still too soft. time to fork out the money. Look for internet deals if you want a better bike. dont worry bout the shipping. it will take place of tax that you would have paid anyways. Still treats me right even though I'm a bike abuser.

Favorite Trail:   tiger mountain trails

Purchased At:   private owner

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher wahoo, giant iguana se

Bike Setup:   um....lots have changed...except that sucky fork

Submitted by Khyle Carlo a Weekend Warrior from Chehalis

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2001

Strengths:    Update from last review,Great Light weight frame, good drive terain, Great for uphill and downhillj riding

Weaknesses:    nothing so far

Bottom Line:
This bike has been great for me,if you want a bike that is low on price but still a good bike this is the one

Favorite Trail:   Any Thing

Purchased At:   Dechutes

Bike Setup:   Stock except for redline peadles and Manitou SX R

Submitted by Khyle Carlo from Washington

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2001

Strengths:    Great Drive train,much better then the mega 9,Nice light weight frame,Rims Stong, Goes up hill and down hill great

Weaknesses:    Might want to upgrade shock, but either then that no weaknesses

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for the money, this bike you can beat arund and not have to worry about the frame or componets

Favorite Trail:   Any thing

Purchased At:   Deschutes river Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Factory except Red Line peddles

Submitted by Michael Bennett a Racer from South Hadley MA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2000

Strengths:    The frame, Mintou Magnum fork, shimono deore and shimono A shifting components, Tektro V brakes, the rims, the hubs also hold out very well, and the seat.

Weaknesses:    The Kenda Klaws tires

Bottom Line:
This Bike has been holding out good for me being the big guy i am, i have tried many bikes, i have snapped many frames, but the 300 pounds of me is having a hard time breaking this thing, to pretty much some it up, this is a great bike, especially for the price. This is the ideal bike bike for any intermediate rider, or even a good bike for a beginer to start out on

Similar Products Used:   Herd Rock FS

Bike Setup:   Shimono A and Deore, TruVative Crankset, Manitou MAgnum fork.

Submitted by Rit a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2000

Strengths:    A very good bike for the price, its aluminum, replaceable drop out, lighter than steel

Weaknesses:    the fork that comes with it isn't so great, I weight too much for it(170).

Bottom Line:
This bike is good for an intermediate rider like me. Its good for hard riding but if you go extreme all the time and care a lot about weight, you'll have to spend a ton more. I got mine for $200 used. Yeah there is a little rust but its geting taken care of. And no its not stolen. This bike is good enough that it would be stolen if I didn't lock it up, exspecially at my school. (University of Washington Student). Best bike I've ever owned

Similar Products Used:   Hardrock(my other bike), rockhopper, GT hardtails,

Bike Setup:   Univega alpina 600, quartz series brakes, control stix, zoom seat post, everything else is stock

Submitted by Jeremy a Racer from Des Moines

Date Reviewed: September 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is an update from my last review. I have replaced everything on the frame, but the wheels and fork. I have started racing and put a lot of miles one this frame off road in the last two months (400+) I don't see buying another frame in the near future or a new shock. They perform well and I am doing well in the races because of this. The only disapointment I have is the rear drop out, I bend them up regularly and this saves my rear derailure, but it stops staying bent back after while.

6 months

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Nampa, ID

Date Reviewed: August 22, 1999

Weaknesses:
The Manitou Spyder fork bottoms out too often.

Bottom Line:
This was my first mountain bike purchase, and I couldn't be more satisfied. For the money, you will not find a better deal. The only things I would replace are the pedals (get clipless), and front shock (get something that has more adjustability and stiffness).

NA

Submitted by Jeremy Sievers a Cross-Country Rider from DSM, IA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 1999

Strengths:
Price

Weaknesses:
weight
needs upgrading
tires suck and are heavy
tore the seat to hell
stock drive train is touchy in front

Bottom Line:
For the price this bike is unbeatable, I was looking for a decent frame and a good fork for a $500, for me this is the only bike at $500 worth looking at. If you are a more than a weekend warrior or have a deeper pocket look at the Alpina 700 it is just as good a deal with better components for 699. Other bikes from larger companies that are comparable will cost $250 more. If you need more of a bike than a 600 look to spend $1000 or it is not worth it. I have replaced most of the parts and have a great set up, my bike looks like a $1600 set up for the $800 I put in to it including the bike. I have taken 2.5 pounds off the weight with new components. I can only give 3 chilies for an overall bike rating, but for the price range is would be the 5 just like others have reviewed

XTR and XT on Univega 600, IRC notos tires
ESP 9 shifters and rear DR.

Submitted by R. Mair a Weekend Warrior from Reading, Pa

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1999

Strengths:
Price, Components, MADE IN USA

Weaknesses:
Rear tire has little traction, seat is OK, but could be softer and wider

Bottom Line:
I only had $500 to spend on a bike, and not being all that hard-core of a rider, I didn't need all the fluff. For $500 you can get into a rear suspension bike, but you get cheap, unreliable components and it's made in some other country. For a decent aluminum frame, excellent components and shocks, choice of shifters (i went with rapid fire) and with no DNF's (can't say the same for my friends Trek 6000), The Univega Alpina 600 is the way to go.

'yellow trail' from Pagoda to Antietam lake

Specialized Hard Rock

Manitou Spyder front shock is very nice and the Shimano gear has been bullet-proof.

Submitted by Michael Baker a Cross-Country Rider from Grand Junction, CO

Date Reviewed: May 6, 1999

Strengths:
Components
Value
Quality

Weaknesses:
Weight
Tires

Bottom Line:
After looking for an affordable mountain bike, I have come to the conclusion that this is the best bike you can buy for under $600. The components are much better than other bikes in the same price range and you get a quality US built aluminum frame. This is an excellent all-around bike, My only advice would be to buy a higher quality tire and clipless peddles. The slickrock tore up the OEM Kenda Kinetic tires that the bike came with. Then you are ready to rock.

Pollock Canyon

6 months

Submitted by Jeremy Cooper a weekend warrior from Jacksonville, Florida

Date Reviewed: March 10, 1999

Bottom Line:

I believe the Alpina is a great value. For $520 I got A 7005 aluminum frame that is actually made in America, an LX rear derailer, and A Manitou spider fork. The bike handles well, and is a joy to ride on the slow, twisty singletrack of North Florida where I currently reside.To make this bike trail-ready,I needed only to add clipless pedals, and remove the bar ends.(I dont need tree hooks.)I would not hesitate to recommend this bike to anyone.

Submitted by DAVID FROM THE HOMETOWN OF LITESPEED a cross-country rider from OOLTEWAH, TN

Date Reviewed: February 9, 1999

Bottom Line:

MY WIFE AND I HAVE UNIVEGA CARBON FRAME MOUNTAIN BIKES THAT WE RIDE OFF
ROAD. WE ALSO RIDE ROUGH COUNTRY ROADS @ NIGHT DURING THE WEEK AND DECIDED
TO SET UP A NIGHT BIKE WITH A FULL COMPLEMENT OF LIGHTS. WE CHOSE THE 1999 UNIVEGA
ALPINA 600 TO SET UP AS NIGHT BIKES. WE CHOSE THIS BIKE AFTER COMPARING THE AVAILABLE
BIKES IN THIS PRICE RANGE AND COMPARIBLE COMPONENTRY. AT A PRICE OF $450.00 WE COULD
NOT FIND ANOTHER BIKE WITH THE QUALITY OF COMPONENTRY AS UNIVEGA SPEC'D. ON THIS
BIKE. I WAS EXTREMELY PLEASED WITH THE RIDE OF THE MANITOU SPYDER SHOCK ON THIS BIKE.
MOST OTHER BIKES IN THIS PRICE RANGE SPECS THE ROCK SHOCK JETT T2 WHICH JUST DIDN'T
HAVE THE QUALITY FEEL THE SPYDER POSSESSES. IN THIS PRICE RANGE I HAVEN'T SEEN A BIKE
THAT CAN TOUCH THE 600 FOR QUALITY AND COMPONENTRY. SPORTING PERFORMANCE FAST
CITY 1.25 KEVLAR TIRES AND BEATING DOWN ROUGH COUNTRY BACKROADS AT NIGHT WILL NOT
SUBJECT THIS BIKE TO THE WEAR AND TEAR OF OFFROAD LIFE, BUT I 'M SURE THAT THIS BIKE COULD
HANDLE IT IF IT HAD TO! IT'S NO LITESPEED, BUT I DIDN'T HAVE TO SECOND MORTGAGE MY HOUSE
EITHER! 5 STARS FOR MORE BANG FOR THE BUCKS.

Submitted by Buddy Scherr a weekend warrior from Sacrament, CA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 1999

Bottom Line:

After riding my road bike for many years, and miles, this is my first mountain bike.I have been completely satified with my new toy in every respect. And for less than $550, I defy anyone to find a better value! Granted, I am not a young buck, downhill kamikaze type, but I could not expect a bike in this price range to do any better for me. I LOVE IT!