Trek 2001 Navigator 400 Hardtail Bike

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by Jeff Yancey a Weekend Warrior from Soap Lake, Wa USA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable
Durable
Ergonomically user-friendly, particularly the shifters & small gear gauge indicators
Well-constructed & stable
Great upright riding position with fully-adjustable handlebars
Quality rear luggage rack included
An overall great performer for its type

Weaknesses:    Squeaky seat, which can't seem to be alleviated

Bottom Line:
Best bike I've ever owned - makes riding a real pleasure!
I've put more miles on this bike in 6 months than my previous road bike in 6 years. The upright riding style and large gel saddle is great for older riders (I'm 51)interested in comfort, but without sacrificing performance/
a good workout. If Trek ever produces this style in a carbon fiber frame with state-of-the-art components, I'll be the first in line...

Favorite Trail:   Hiawatha & Centennial

Purchased At:   Second Wind - East Wenatchee, WA

Similar Products Used:   None really - previous bike a Trek 300 Road Bike

Bike Setup:   Standard, but with rear luggage bag and computer

Submitted by Greg from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent product that my wife & I (purchased his & hers 400's)use for bike paths and trails in the Front Range. Overall quality for price is excellent. Finish is excellent. Nothing by other bike manufacturers is similar.

Bottom Line:
We both love the Navigator 400 for our intended purposes. She loves the availability of a woman's frame with good components. Most woman-frame bikes suffer from the lack of quality. Another winner by Trek.

Purchased At:   Wheat Ridge Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Trek Navigator 300 - there is nothing similar in cost/overall quality in a comfort bike to the Navigator 400. Replaced my old Trek 950.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by paul johnson a Weekend Warrior from huntington, ny usa

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2001

Strengths:    Comfortable ride, decent components

Weaknesses:    cheap pedals

Bottom Line:
nice bike for roads and hard trails. comfortable riding position. reasonably priced. Seat is like a lounge chair! Cheapo pedals. Would buy bike again. Excellent bike for light trail riding and park bike paths

Purchased At:   frenchies

Similar Products Used:   specialized expedition

Submitted by Jonathan a Weekend Warrior from Fanwood, NJ

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Strengths:    Great riding posture, adjustable seat and handlebars, front suspension, push button shifting, lots of gears, light aluminum frame

Weaknesses:    Pedals are a little chinsy for a 600 dollar bike, sometimes the gear skips over a gear when I shift up on the rear wheel,

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike in order to use it to lose weight. I found the riding posture on my MTB was too far forward and my hands were always numb. I find this bike extremely comfortable, I have logged about 100 miles on it so far, about 10 a day. I am not a big fan of the spring seat stem, but that is easy enough to remedy with a new solid stem. I will probably replace stock tires with Invert 2's as they can be inflated to 80 psi and I only use for street driving. Something you should know, This bike has performed well and I weigh 200 Kilograms, Do the math!!!!

IF I have to spend 600 to get it off so be it.

Purchased At:   Jay's Cycle, Westfield NJ

Similar Products Used:   Replaced a 10 year old Mongoose all steel Hilltopper

Bike Setup:   All stock except saddle.

Submitted by Stephen Antoine a Weekend Warrior from Sugar Hill, GA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    Upright riding posture is great, shifting is excellent. Good looking bike.

Weaknesses:    Seat maybe a little too springy.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike for intended purpose. This bike is marketed as a comfort bike. Both my wife and I have a Navigator 400.
My daugther has a Navigator 300.
The Shimano Nexave shifters are excellent especially for someone not used to shifing gears on a bicycle.
Our average ride is 25 miles, typically on asphalt or concrete bike paths. The bigs tires with the smooth tread in the middle are great for riding on the road. Not as noisy as MTB tires, but help cushion the ride. IMO, Definitely better than a hybrid bike for commuting.

Favorite Trail:   Silver Comet Trail

Purchased At:   Atlanta Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Trek Navigator 300. The Nexave shifters make the upgrade to the Navigator 400.