Trek 2001 Elite 9.8 Hardtail Bike

4.3/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by Miguel Hinojosa a Cross Country Rider from Monterrey

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2002

Strengths:    -Nice frame geometry that helps my downhill
-very light
-Excellent Rolf dolomite rims.

Weaknesses:    -Carbon frame is too stiff that your body suffers!
-Bontager crank is useless. I changed it for an XT and works great
-Bontrager tires not good. Hutchinson python gold works much better

-Shifters and levers are LX and really have not upgrade them but I would love to for at least XT.

Bottom Line:
It is a good Bike. I got a nice deal by buying it at the end of the season. For the price I pay is good but now that I have used it I would not pay what the normal price is (2,200 dls).

I feel you can get a better titanium bike for the same 2,300 dls.

Favorite Trail:   Bioparque estrella

Purchased At:   Bicycleworld Canada

Similar Products Used:   this is my 2nd bike so I did not really used something simillar.

Bike Setup:   LX Shifters
Crank XT
Hutchinson Python gold tires

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Strengths:    Carbon frame is sweet! I couldn't believe how stiff it was, yet so forgiving...absorbing whatever the trail through my way! Although I did add a Rockshox suspension seatpost to help soften up my ride. I really didn't sacrifice much in the weight department, but what little bit I did, I made up ten-fold in comfort, also without hurting the handling! Very nimble bike.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness, as I think everyone agrees, is the component line. The parts are heavy and cheap. My crank stripped out the first time I swapped pedals, and you wouldn't believe how much weight I shaved off this rig by swapping just a few main parts!

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is this bike is great. It's light weight, very light, and seems to ride even lighter. Climbs and descends awesome, and works well for technical sections. If you ride XC, you would be a fool to ride anything else. I can ride alot longer now, with way less fatigue...to sum it up this is the funnest ride I've ever owned!! Trek has the OCLV thing down cold, keep it up!

Purchased At:   Rydjor Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   C'dale F900, Trek 8500.

Bike Setup:   Stock wheels, upgraded to XT Hollotech BB and crankset, XT front derail.,XT cassette, hutchinson tires, rockshox susp. seatpost, Bontrager race lite saddle, Ritchey WCS stem, Bont. bar ends, bontrager race pedals.

Submitted by Ed a Racer from NC

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Strengths:    Light frame, minimal flex, Comfortable geometry, looks, comes with a SID XL, strong, climbs well, great decending XC racing bike. My Complete bike now weighs under 21 Lbs.

Weaknesses:    Stock components! The Bontrager comp stuff is crap. XT/LX components don't cut it. Rolf Dolomites are really cool looking and strong, but(at least the rear wheel) are way to heavy. Factory bike is about 24 Lbs, which is not friendly in the mountains. Up-grading, component swaping is a must. For this nice of a frame, the component choices by the manufacturer are very poor.

Bottom Line:
Basically, this is the best bike I've ever had. After some changes in the component selection I couldn't be happier. A real winning machine. My first carbon fiber bike, it has a great feel. A sweet racing bike. Well worth the money, no regrets what so ever. Great on climbs, and gravel roads, very responsive on technical desents. Provides a real smooth ride.

Favorite Trail:   Beech/Sugar Mtn.

Purchased At:   Liberty Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant 990, '98 Yeti FRO

Bike Setup:   Trek 9.8, SID, Chris KIng/ti spoke front wheel, Cross Max Tubeless rear wheel, Race face Next crank(double), Avid single digit brakes, XTR derailuers, XTR cassette, XT shifters, Cane Creek direct curve brake levers, Race Face Ti BB, SLR saddle, Easton handle bar/seat post, Ritchey WCS stem, Ritchey WCS headset, Egg-beater pedals, Zipp carbon spacers, Zipp carbon bar plugs.

Submitted by Nick Mcgowan a Racer from Greenville NC USA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2001

Strengths:    Great Frame and Fork
smooth ride
light
looks

Weaknesses:    24 lbs as new
orignal parts are crappy

Bottom Line:
2002 Trek 9.8
This bike is great so far. It climbs well and decends like a bat out of hell. It is very stiff with almost no flex. Riders wanting a softer ride should go with a STP. It even looks fast. I would recomend it to any XC racer.
The only prolbem was that the stock parts suck! If you are planning on buying this bike I would recomend you plan on saving another $300 to swap out parts. After I swiched the parts it weighed about 22.4 lbs which kicks ass.

If you want a light race/ride bike this is the one! If you want a smoother softer ride go FS. And if you are one of those crazy DH/Freeriders that you see in magazines this isnt the bike for you. overall a great bike!

Purchased At:   Bicycle World

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Procaliber

Bike Setup:   Stock except for spinergy wheels, giro fisik seat, ritchey pro stem, XTR break levers and shifters, speedplay petals

Submitted by Reid a Racer from Calgary

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Strengths:    light weight
good climber
decent sprinter

Weaknesses:    the frame
the purpose

Bottom Line:
I bought this as a frame only then added my own parts. The way it came would suck to ride in the rockies and on the technical trails that I ride. I put the x-fly on because it's a good durable plush racing fork. All in all this bike is good for a racer if your trails aren't very technical. This bike dosen't fit in on the trails that I ride the frame is only good on groomed weak xc courses, the geometry is lame for technical descending. This is not a real MOUNTAIN BIKE in that it can't handle some of the mountain elements. example, I was riding up in the canmore nordic centre and a rock hits my frame and opened up the down tube so I have to get a warranty. A mountain bike should be designed to handle that type of stuff. I will never ride a carbon bike again. My next frame will be a rocky vertex team sc because it is more designed for technical riding which is what I do a lot of and enjoy thouroughly. For anyone who dosen't ride many technical or rough trails or who just want to climb fast this could be a deadly frame for you. But for my riding style this frame licks.

Purchased At:   bike cellar

Similar Products Used:   other racing hardtails

Bike Setup:   9.8 frame with full xtr and a marzocchi x-fly with all easton compontents

Submitted by Nick Evans a Racer from Cranleigh, Surrey, UK

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2001

Strengths:    Stunning, i bought this as a frameset and built up my own spec, the sheer speed of this bike in sprints and climbs is nothing short of phenominal

Weaknesses:    the lightness of this bike makes it a little to skittish on the downhills

Bottom Line:
if u enjoy leaving the pack on a long climb, or sprinting along fire roads, buy this bike! If you have ever considered a carbon fibre bike, this is it

Favorite Trail:   Holmbury Hill, anything!

Purchased At:   Beyond Mountain Bikes

Similar Products Used:   OCLV 5200 road bike

Bike Setup:   OCLV 9.8, XTR, SID SL's, Crossmax UST, Chris King, Thompson

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Santa Ynez, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2001

Strengths:    Incredible bike, i am so happy with it in all areas except one. The weight is great, the frame is responsive and rigid. I have yet to ride a bike that compares to this one.

Weaknesses:    The only problem i can see (and it is an incredible one) is that the rear drive train snaps up and smashes into the frame and only after 3 weeks of riding on weekends a hole is already developing. This in my opinion is the result of poor design, i could add a small rubber spacer so that it absorbs the shock but i beleive that the damage my frame has sustained could be a weakness in the frame and could possibly get worse. I advise anybody who is considering to purchase this bike to either find away to remedy this problem, or find a way to ride w/out a rear drive train.

Bottom Line:
bottom line is that i am seriously bummed about the frame damage and that is enough to dampen my impression on trek. But besides that, i love this bike and if they could fix my problem i would be happy as a clam. Thats all i have to say!

Favorite Trail:   Harvey's cove

Purchased At:   Ultimate Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Nothing i could compare this bike to..it's great accept for my previous complaint. If something could be done about that, i would be the happiest customer ever!

Bike Setup:   Stock setup except for a stud buster seat and Noleen mega air 100 front suspension

Submitted by Nicholas Cirincione a Racer from Tempe, Arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    Perfect amount of flex, yet fast and agile when you sprint. Ultralite frame makes the bike feel alive under you. Very "flickable".

Weaknesses:    Carbon fiber chips when smacked by rocks (only a problem if you ride in a really rocky area). Bontrager crankset not the best I've ever used and wore out quickly. Other parts spec is a little weak (LX shifters).

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike with awesome wheels that stay true (Rolf Dolomites). Other parts spec. is a little weak because of the cost spent on frame manufacturing. Use pieces of plastic sheeting to protect frame from dings. Perfect bike for the XC racer.

Favorite Trail:   National on South Mountain

Purchased At:   Bicycle Wheelers

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper, Canondale F1000

Bike Setup:   Medium frame with approx. 145 lbs. of air in front shock (!60 lb rider), XT shifters/levers, XTR rear der., XT front der., Bontrager RACE crankset, Serfas Monaco saddle, Ritchey race lite bars

Submitted by Kevin Stokes a Cross Country Rider from Shreveport, Louisiana, US

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Strengths:    Mostly Bontrager componites.
I like the Bontrager Crow Bar but it is a little too wide.
Love the Bontrager Jones AC 49/54 tires.
The LX/Deore Derailleurs are dependible

Weaknesses:    The bike doesn't come standard with clipless.
The wheel set is very cheep.

Bottom Line:
An all around good bike for the beginer rider who wants a good bike. I find it to have a pretty smoth ride over roots and drop offs. It performs very well on the trails and is very responsive, although the bars sometimes get in the way. The Trek 6500 is a good bike at a good price.

Purchased At:   Bike Sports