Trek 2001 8000 WSD Hardtail Bike

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by Jan a Weekend Warrior from Hancock, Michigan

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Strengths:    Great Bike! Fun, fast, and can climb. Seat is pretty comfy (although ripped in places already from pedal-related crashes)

Weaknesses:    Pedals! I've adjusted them as far as possible (to the point where it takes 0 effort to release), and I still get trapped if I've encountered the slightest mud. I'm replacing the pedals, because my confidence level is decreasing, rather than increasing with use. Seems as heavy as my old cromoly 970, but the difference is probably the weight of the shock fork. Ride seems stiff & bumpy, but probably an aluminum vs old steel 970 comparison again

Bottom Line:
Really like the bike. If it weren't for those darned pedals, I'd ride it a lot more, but I'm SCARED! After reading the reviews of the Shimano M515 pedals, I see the problem. Read them and learn. References like "death trap", etc, are exactly what I've encountered.

Otherwise, this is a great bike. I didn't shop around much, as I've been a Trek person for the past 15 years (2 road, and now 2 mtb), and I've always gotten great deals from our favorite shop. After checking prices on-line out of curiosity, this was no exception.

The shock squealed horribly at first (sounded like some weird bird). Took it in & shop said Rock Shox forks often don't come lubed enough. They re-built it, and its been fine since.

No problems since the initial break-in period.

I think my riding will improve after swapping out those pedals, and I'll get to love the bike, rather than just liking it a lot.

Favorite Trail:   Maasto/Mason loop

Purchased At:   Cross Country Sports

Similar Products Used:   1989 Trek 970

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000 WSD with upgraded front derailleur to XT and tires to Bontrager Jones (replaced both before picking up the bike, based on reviews here). Added bar ends.

Submitted by Alison a Cross Country Rider from Panhandle, FL USA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2002

Strengths:    Good frame geometry and cool-looking paint job.

Weaknesses:    This bike is a little on the heavy side. The wheels were not any lighter than the ones on my $400 bike. The fork on this bike sucks. It makes horrible sounds and is very rough feeling. I have had a hard time getting the dealer to get it fixed. I have taken it to them several times and it still doesn't work properly.

Bottom Line:
Nice bike for women, but you could find a lighter bike for the price. I liked the frame geometry on it better than the frame geometry of my non-WSD Trek. Women looking for a comfortable bike would like it, but be warned that the fork is junk.

Favorite Trail:   carbo

Purchased At:   Bob's Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except I changed the tires because they didn't have enough grip for going over roots and wet logs.

Submitted by Bill Braskey from Gunnison, CO USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2001

Strengths:    Very Light, Wicked wheels, Nice stock Everything

Weaknesses:    Way too much frame flex for a 12 hundred dollar bike

Bottom Line:
Wicked, until I was cruising down the Butte last summer and met a stump which demolished my Rolfs. The fork is dank, but it's no SID. I like the geometry, rear derailer and overall quality of components. Would appreciate a nicer front fork, but not too shabby, as earlier stated.

Favorite Trail:   Hartman Rocks