Trek 2001 6500 Hardtail Bike

4.17/5 (24 Reviews)

Submitted by Tyler a Racer from Bangor, Maine USA

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight,strong frame, quick geometry, life time warranty, Made in the USA

Weaknesses:    Fork

Bottom Line:
Beginner Bike---was a good bike to get me into racing and riding. I needed a better racing bike, so I converted it to a single-speed. And now I ride it more then all my bikes.

Favorite Trail:   ho chi min trail

Purchased At:   Rose's

Similar Products Used:   Gunnar Rockhound, Gary Fisher Paragon 29er, Specialized StumpJumper, Seven Verve

Bike Setup:   Single Speed, Surly 1x1 fork, Avid mechanicals, Mavic 223 rims with Shimano XT hubs, Soulcraft singlator, Hutchinson Scorpions 2.3, 32 by 16 gear ratio, WTB Speed V seat, Ruffian Lock on grips.

Submitted by JR a Weekend Warrior from Oklahoma CIty, OK, USA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2004

Strengths:    Good Solid frame to build upon. Great for racing...

Weaknesses:    I didnt notice before but after getting my new brakes there is a tremendous difference in handling and braking.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the bike after getting a wally world Mongoose and am glad I did. Great for racing on the TDD circuit in Oklahoma. Had all stock parts when I bought it and I have upgraded alot of things and have a few more to go. I have ridden a dual suspension bike and for racing at least here in OK I like the 6500 better. I am looking to get a Joker 1.5 for freestyle/DH some time this year.

Favorite Trail:   BluffCreek

Purchased At:   Pro Bike, inc.

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Avid Single Digit 5 V brakes, Shimano XT Dual Control shifter/lever, XT Front Derailer, XTR Rear Derailer, Crank Brothers C Mallet, Sram quick link Chain, Soon to have a Manitou Black Elite fork.

Submitted by Megan a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2004

Strengths:    Price, look, component package

Weaknesses:    Shocks, saddle, tires, Thought the bar was too long and had to have it sawed of about two inches. No quick release for the seat tube, which is a pain.

Bottom Line:
I traded in an older bike for this, and learned to "really" ride with it. Kind of stiff shifting uphill sometimes, but maybe it's due to the chain (now that I'm reading other reviews). Overall, this has been super reliable and easy to handle. Fast and light and easy to upgrade.

Favorite Trail:   Happy Jack, laramie wyoming

Purchased At:   All Terrain Sports (Wyo)

Similar Products Used:   specialized rock hopper

Bike Setup:   manitou magnum shocks, Deore and LX components, Vbrakes

Submitted by Chrispy G a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Strengths:    Frame, without a doubt

Weaknesses:    brakes; chain; cranks; seat; tires;

Bottom Line:
I know this bike: this is my third season on it so I have the right to say that. It's seen mud and gunk in Ontario and Michigan, the Black Hills of the Dakotas; Montana, Whistler, North Shore (I walked most of it!), Alberta Rockies and heaps of roads of all sorts. Since it is no longer made no worries because I would nevr have bought this bike if I knew what I know know about biking. The frame is great--truly a rocket but most of the components need replacing sooner rather than later. For another 500-600 bucks one could buy a much better bike overall. In three years I've bought this bike over several times with breakdowns and upgrades. Mind you, I love this baby and will always--it is my warp speeder. If I came about some serious money though, she'd be my road rider.
So, here it is: Chain broke on me all the time when I first got it. The gearing sucked in mud as did the squealing brakes. I suffered from so many flats!!! The puppy climbs like yer mother twenty years ago on crack but the front is quite light! One might as well chomp down on the handle bars to climb steep sections. I replaced the chain and cranks and rear cog and derailleur soon after buying it and I wasn't beating it! It got muddy quite a bit but it didn't take any really rough trails. After those upgrades she ran much much better and took some heavy beatins out west. I finally just spent some cashola on new tires, brakes and sus seatpost: I have to say, the Trek is now bionic, a phoenix arising from the ashes, re-born to conquer as theframe was designed to do! Too bad I can't afford another fork but I did have the old magnum relubed and tuned up--much better now. Now I love my bike as a new one but it has cost me dearly. I wish I could go back and buy again but then again, I've learned so much from this Trek. I imagine that one I spend the money on a right good full sus I will be a finesse rider from all these years on the hardtail trek riding epic rocky mountain terrain.

Favorite Trail:   jumping pound ridge

Similar Products Used:   none--first 'real' bike

Bike Setup:   irc mythos xc tires; shimano clipless; shimano chain; xt cranks; xt bb; xt front hub; lx rear hub; lx rear derailleur; avid sd7 brakes; thud buster suspension seatpost;

Submitted by Dino Aseoche a Cross Country Rider from Chicago,Illinois

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2003

Strengths:    Frame stiffness,24" top tube,Replacable hanger,Disc compatible,Cables placed strategically,Frames Geometry and it's BRIGHT YELLOW oh yeah!

Weaknesses:    Brakes,Stem,Pedals and Front Hubs,For some people the Manitou Magnum R suspension came as stock (not bad)

Bottom Line:
Rode the stock for a season 6days in a week (2,280 Mi)no problem and that's a combination of city streets,Singletracks,and fire road,Wheels still true,good accelaration,no frame cracks,handles well,but as you can see this Bike is very upgradeable just take a couple of spacers and your ready for racing.If you are novice (like myself)XC,occational hops,drops and like to upgrade based on your prefferances this could be just the bike for you.FOR THE PRICE AND COMPONENTS IT'S UNBEATABLE.

Favorite Trail:   I create as I go

Purchased At:   Sportiff Importes

Similar Products Used:   an old upgraded chromoly TREK 820

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Race-Stem,M515 Pedals,Avid Discs,LX Levers.LX/XTR
Manitou Skareb Comp Suspension,Topo Terra Wheel set

Submitted by Carl a Weekend Warrior from Toronto ON Canada

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2002

Strengths:    Weight, derailers, rims, brakes, color scheme and made in US.

Weaknesses:    Front suspension travel, weak chain.

Bottom Line:
Amazingly light and fast. High quality frame made in US and cool paint scheme. Fast shifters and strong rear rim. I wish front suspension had more travel and the chain is weak.

Favorite Trail:   Kelso

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Bike Setup:   rear Panaracer tires

Submitted by Philippe Mercenier a Weekend Warrior from Princeton

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2002

Strengths:    Good component for the price.

Weaknesses:    None, in my view.

Bottom Line:
I am surprised that so many people broke their chaine. I used the wax (not oil) and have no problem. I love my bike. I can follow the other guy of the club (who have more expensive bike).

Favorite Trail:   Mercer Park, NJ

Purchased At:   Jay's Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Rudy Moutain bike

Bike Setup:   Origin

Submitted by Vernon a Cross Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2002

Strengths:    Light frame, Groupset is fair but could be better, wheels

Weaknesses:    Chain, Promax brakes, front derailleur and front sprockets
Shock leaks oil

Bottom Line:
The first time I took this bike out, it chainsucked. The Manitou shock leaked oil from the first ride. The brakes have no modulation (you can see where Trek saved money) and
the brake pads wear out very fast. In wet conditions the brakes squeek and braking power is weak. It is very hard to adjust the shock. The seat sucks. I am happy with the frame and the wheels did not go out of true yet. I had to put in some slime for all the punctures. Overall the bike can take what you throw at it and you can buy it if you have beginner or intermediate MTBing skills. I agree with other reviews on this site and that you will can upgrade as your skill grows. I will try to post another review after I have the bike for 6 months.

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Long Island

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2002

Strengths:    light, solid frame, easy ride - but iam a newbie rider

Weaknesses:    the front deraulier (sp?) needs constant adjusting and the front wheel seems to come out of true at the drop of a hat. tires suck.

Bottom Line:
maybe a good platform for advancement, don't have much to say right now b/c i am so heated about the damn front derauler! Evry time hop, hit a curb or a bump a little hard it starts rubbing!

Purchased At:   Carl Hart

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fishere Tassajara - about $200 less and a whole lot less problems.

Bike Setup:   Stock - any suggestions?

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from MA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2002

Strengths:    Light, strong frame, steering, geometry

Weaknesses:    shock!, headset!, chainring

Bottom Line:
Ok here we go! I bought this bike strictly for the price and the component group it was in. I had little money to spend and I wanted something that was durable and light. I new after my first few rides that the shock had to go! Ride the hell out of the bike and when the shock goes, buy a new one. I knew this was going to happen, but again i had little money to upgrade to a better bike set-up. Next, the headset totally failed me at the end of last year. I just recently put on a new chris king. Great headset!! The front chain rings are very week and when i get some dough I will buy better ones. I've been knocking this bike pretty bad so far, but I knew that this would happen, so I made sure the bike I got needed to be able to upgrade. With these two upgrades so far, this bike is great! The frame is tough and light and it handles very well. If you want a great bike for the buck then this is it, but keep in mind that you will have to replace a few things like all bikes over time.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods, Vietnam

Purchased At:   Local Store

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   6500 w/chris king headset, psylo fork, spd's

Submitted by scott Penman a Weekend Warrior from calgary alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2002

Strengths:    Great Frame and other stuff (wheels,rear derailer,rims)Havn't bent the rims yet

Weaknesses:    Shocks they always bottom out and it is impossible to adjust them the front derailer always need to be repaird and the chain snaps in half after some hard rides

Bottom Line:
Good bike frame (light and tough) not very good shocks but that can always change. If you are looking for a sweet looking ride wit great handling and for a good price then this is dee one for you !

Favorite Trail:   MINE

Purchased At:   cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   Rocky mountain Eleveation or sommin like it Trek Bruiser 1, Brodie Evolution.

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Psylo sl wit a 21mm axle and a sun rim rhino light and a race face bash ring

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from London, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2002

Strengths:    Love the yellow frame! Good weight, not a bad component package. Highly upgradable!

Weaknesses:    Chain =(, The tires, and mabye the shock (depending on what kind of riding you do)

Bottom Line:
I got a good deal on the bike. For the price, the components were the best in that range. My chain broke 3 times, before I replaced it. I had to get new tires after about 500 kiloneters(1/2 a summer). But Other than that, I love the bike, The frame is really stiff. I ride it hard, and it just asks for more. I just ordered a Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80, now all I need is disk brakes(Which the bike is compatable!)!!!! this was the best Student loan money I ever spent!!!

Favorite Trail:   anything that goes up and down

Purchased At:   two wheels

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500, Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80(comming soon!)

Submitted by joe from michigan

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2001

Strengths:    this thing works geat!

Weaknesses:    my front fork is kinda sticky and the chain broke multiple times and the tires kinda suck

Bottom Line:
this thing was a great deal for the money, i figure its a 8 hundred dollar bike for 700. the chain broke and the tires arent perfect but they get replaced after a while so i had no real complaints.

Purchased At:   denny cycle and fitness

Similar Products Used:   old steel bikes

Bike Setup:   all stock except the chain

Submitted by bobdole a Weekend Warrior from Boston

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2001

Strengths:    great frame, good parts for the money

Weaknesses:    first chain broke 2X. second time the links cracked in 13 places, no one told me not to use simple green on it. seat post can't take much of an impact. bike shop replaced that. brakes suck hardcore

Bottom Line:
very happy with my toy. been out a couple time a week since may. will be ugrading things as i go, for fun more than wear.

Favorite Trail:   anything