Trek 2000 8500 Hardtail Bike

4.88/5 (50 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Nash Wilson a Cross Country Rider from Valdez, AK

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight, great value, suspension, shifting components, durability

Weaknesses:    Pedals, crank

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike new in July 2000 and have ridden it for the past 5 years. Though newer and suposedly better technology is available my 2000 Trek 8500 is a comparatively great bike and I haven't desired to upgrade my brakes, fork, or shifting components. I have replaced the Bontrager RE-1 clipless pedals with some cheap plastic ones but that is just personal taste. I feel that I got a great deal on this bike and believe that it will continue to be a source of joy for years to come.

Favorite Trail:   Millcreek Canyon, SLC, UT

Purchased At:   Guthrie Bicycles in Sugarhouse

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar, Trek 820

Bike Setup:   SLR frame, 2000 SID XC fork, XTR rear derailler, XT front, Avid 2.0 v-brakes, Rolf Dolomite wheels, Bontrager Revolt Super-X wheels, Bontrager grips and saddle, Icon crank, seatpost, and handle bar.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Grosse Pointe

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2003

Strengths:    Light, strong, stiff, great geometery.

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike. I bought the frame on the classifieds for $255 with the King headset and Easton post. I put all the other stuff on it from the frame I had before.
This thing flys. It's definetly the best bike I've owned yet. Super light, stiff, and amazingly strong.
You can't beat the value. New, it's like $1600, which is a great deal, but I paid under a grand for the complete bike.
My only complaint is that it is a little too short, but a long stem will fix that

Favorite Trail:   Island Lake

Purchased At:   MTBR Frameset Classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Nothing

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, 2002 SID Carbon, Crossmax UST, Avid Mag brakes and levers, Easton MonkeyLite XC, King, Easton EA70 post, RaceFace Prodigy Stem, 858's, MutanoRaptor 2.1 UST.

Submitted by Mickey Schwarz a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, VT

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2002

Strengths:    LIGHT!!!
At just about 23 lbs fo the 17.5" frame, I'd say its pretty light.
All around good climber, descender, and great on tight singletrack.
Has a great mix of xt and xtr components at an unbeatalbe price.
If you want something light and race worthy or just like to go on long technical rides this is the bike for you.

Weaknesses:    Bike can be a little squirly going up super steep uphills. But that's gonna happen with almost any bike you would come across. Another thing. The stock tires are awful. I replaced them quickly with a pair of WTB Velociraptors. Other than that no complaints here. The bike is awsome.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike off a friend in the winter of 2001 and i am absolutely loving the bike. Where i live all the trails are extremely up and down and this bike performs. In my opinion this is a great bike at a reasonable price.

Favorite Trail:   Yoda @ Sleepy Hollow

Purchased At:   a friend

Similar Products Used:   1997 Trek 830 (not even close to this bike)

Bike Setup:   rolf dolmite front, mavic 618 on xtr rear, sid xc (awsome, read review), xtr rear derailler, xt shifters, brake levers, front derailler, profile designs shorty bar ends, selle italia flite seat, wtb velociraptor tires, shimano 515 clipless pedals, bontrager race crankset, bontrager seatpost, and the fantastic aluminum frame

Submitted by Brad Dahms a Racer from Newark, DE, USA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2002

Strengths:    Great, stiff frame, the component setup is great on the frame, a very lightweight, fast bike. Great for racing.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I have ridden klein and I had a trek previously and this is the best. It has all the frame benefits that you would expect fome a much more expensive frame. I highly suggest riding this. I have owned it for about a year and I love it. It is definitely a racing bike.

Favorite Trail:   iron hill

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8900 disc

Bike Setup:   I have full xtr with icon cranks, racelite ceramic wheels, chris king hubs. Also a sid xc fork.

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    well built frame
Good drive train
strong rims look cool
Good fork
vary rigit

Weaknesses:    icon parts (seatpost handle bars cranks)

Bottom Line:
vary good trail bike. A few upgrades and it could be used for racing XC.

Favorite Trail:   Huntington

Purchased At:   Zanes

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by KAREL BRACKO a Cross Country Rider from MARIBOR,SLOVENIA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2002

Strengths:    -geometry
-tiff light frame
-performence

Weaknesses:    none if you are a cc-rider
garanty! how can you lose!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
It"s file like a dream at specialy up hilsand single trails
mayby in my furder lifi I was a highlander.My botom line is
if you bay A hand made us bike that"s is,nobody can build a
bader bike like the ARMY"S from Visconsin at this price range
you can get it...Yust ride it and fl the diference

Favorite Trail:   POHORJE,LAGO DE GARDA

Purchased At:   TREKBIKE STORE ,MARIBOR

Similar Products Used:   yeti arc,s-works,cannondale f2000,schwinn homegroune- pro.

Bike Setup:   icon graphite bars

Submitted by Marc McKay a Cross Country Rider from Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2001

Strengths:    Sweet rear derailleure (XTR), nice forks, quality lightweight frame and awesome wheels.

Weaknesses:    I'd definitely have to say the pedals are the crappiest feature on it. Also replaced the questionable ICON crank

Bottom Line:
Super amazing value( Wheels, fork, components etc..)Good out-of-the-box components, great racability and a nice frame all add up to one kick ass bike. Highly recomend this bike to all who enjoy XC biking to the full extent and don't have a zillion dollars to spend on a bike(if you do have a zillion dollars and still want this bike you might want to upgrade crank and pedals to make it even better). Bottom line= quality...and I guess if you really wanted to you could put some monkey-lite's on or maybe even a King headset or a cool seatpost and maybe some different brakes. That's what I did anyway.Great bike though! Goodbye!

Favorite Trail:   anything from steep hardcore slopes to real technical trails

Purchased At:   Spokes n' Pedals

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6500,Trek 8000, Rocky Mountain Vertex

Bike Setup:   XTR r/derailleure, XT f/derailleure, Avid 5 v-brakes, Rolf Dolomite wheels, ICON crank, Bontragger seatpost, handlebars etc, SID XC fork, XT shifters

Submitted by Oter Gillea a Cross Country Rider from GR-Switzerland

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Strengths:    Great value.

Bottom Line:
great race bike for all porposes

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Any Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mtn. vertex

Bike Setup:   xtr/xt RS sid xc Rolf wheels

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Strengths:    I got the 8500LT, not the basic 8500. It's a very stable handler, and the Hayes brakes ooze power. The fork is ok, though hard to adjust, and the frame has a Hayes disc mount, which is stronger than the int'l standard.

Weaknesses:    The suspension seatpost(a Rockshox) developed a nasty lateral slop, so I switched it out to a rigid Bonty. The rear hub isn't cartridge, but the front one is, so that's a pain, and kind of cheap.

Bottom Line:
This bike was a much-needed upgrade from my old(93) Cadex w/ rigid fork, XT/LX/XTR 8-speed bike. IT was too small(I'm 6'3, it's an 18"), beat up, and not great. This bike slows me down really well, even though I don't need to, it's so stable at high speeds, and it fits a lot better. I also like having suspension, and 4" of Marzocchi-built suspension. So what it's not the easiest to tune, I don't care. It's sprung properly for my weight, and that's all that matters, well, mostly. This bike rules. Get one.

Purchased At:   Piche's Ski and Sports

Similar Products Used:   01 Trek 4900, custom-spec'd VRX, 2000 Cannondale Super V 700, Schwinn Homegrown w/ SX-R, mostly XT, GT LTS w/ Sid, Race Face, XT

Bike Setup:   Stock, save for the Seatpost(Bontrager Comp), Saddle(Titec Berzerkr), pedals (Time ATAC).

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2001

Strengths:    Quality frame, with an excellent geometry. Component kit is excellent, especially the Marzocchi shock and Hayes hydraulic disc brakes. Warranty. Local manufacturer. Value for the money.We

Weaknesses:    I am used to grip shift. Will see how I like triggers. I have seen the ICON crank complaints, I will see how they last/perform long term. LX front Der.

Bottom Line:
This review is for a new 2000 8500LT. I have been looking for my first mountain bike, with a front suspension. I have been riding rigid for years and as I get older I am tiring of the abuse. I was torn between dual suspension models and a hardtail with a suspension seat post. I demoed numerous models over the past two months and happened upon this bike a day before I was going to purchase the above listed Gary Fisher Mt. Tam Disc. This bike hit a home run when I demoed it. I fall between most company's bike sizes, but the 19.5 Trek was just right. Until the Trek, the GF was the best fit and pick. Bottom line for me, what a great deal. Mail order on the parts kit alone is about $1700, then add in an excellent US made frame. I bought it on the spot.

I may make a few changes over the course of the season. I have not used riser bars before. I will see how I like them, if I don't I will switch back to strait with bar ends. Same comment applies to the trigger shifters. I am willing to try something new.

Who should buy: Anyone looking for a great, higher end, hard tail, trail bike at a great price. I suspect these are hard to find now, I was lucky. But looking at the current 8500, I think it would be a great bike at a good price also, especially if you are looking for a lighter racing bike rather than the LT trail bike.

I will report back after a few months if my views change.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere I can go on my bike.

Purchased At:   MVP

Similar Products Used:   GF Mt. Tam Disc, Giant XTC, GF Sugar, Cannondale 900SL, Trek Fuel 90, Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   I am adding Time pedals. No other changes for know.

Submitted by Louis K a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2001

Strengths:    Everything from sid xc to the xt-xtr system.

Weaknesses:    the crank. On my first ride it started to creek

Bottom Line:
This bike is a abousolute bargan. The bigest bang for the buck. If you are looking for a X-country bike, this is the one to get. Evnen though it is a hard tail the bike does soak up some of the really hard hits. If you have the means I would really recomend you to buy this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Marine

Purchased At:   Mission Bay Multisport

Similar Products Used:   F2000 (cannondale)
Super V 2000 (cannodale)
Proflex Fs

Bike Setup:   Stock with profile bar ends

Submitted by Maplewood Warrior a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    Great Climber, Lightweight, good xt/xtr spec for the price.
The Trek Waranty. I had my rear hub replaced for free.

Weaknesses:    I have had to replce the rear hub, it started off as a hairline crack and got a lot worse untill it was unridable.
The standard tires arent the best in the mud, I have replaced the rear with someting with more tread. I have found that Avid brake pads are the best for this bike, I tried the Shimano XTRs and they lasted 1 ride.

Bottom Line:
Ive now been riding this bike for 10 months and have done about 1500km (you Yanks will have to figure that bit out).

Overal I feel that it has been an excellent bike and good value for money. With the Weight and the mix of XT/XTR components being its greatest assets.

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Timah Nature Reserve

Purchased At:   Treknology

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6000.

Bike Setup:   Stock standard (no money left to buy anything else)

Submitted by Luke a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2001

Strengths:    Light Weight and very rigid frame
Great Forks (SID XC) and wheelset (Rolf Dolomite)
Climbs as fast as your legs will go!
Very good handling

Weaknesses:    UN52 Bottom bracket, Icon Graphite Chainset

Bottom Line:
Other than the BB and chainset this is an excellent bike from stock, It is light enough to race from the box and handle very well.

I paid £999 In England and think its worth every penny so if you can find one still on sale get it as you will not regret it

Favorite Trail:   Anything Fast!!

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F1000SL (1999)
GT Zaskar (1998)

Bike Setup:   Stock other than Time Atac pedals , Flite Titanium saddle and X-Lite Alto pro ends.

Submitted by Matthew Anderson a Weekend Warrior from Bluefield, VA , USA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2001

Strengths:    Quick, lively feel. It was ready to roll with only minor adjustments (seatpost, computer). Very lightweight. Frame is not overly harsh(Impt.- I weigh 215.)Great shifting. Great paint job. Good mix of components. I have the Avid brakes, these things will stop on a dime and give you back change. Climbs like a rocket. I heard bad things about the pedals, but when I began to use them, they were awesome, as I'm used to clipless pedals from the 105 group (circa 1993). Descends amazingly. Just purely amazing.

Weaknesses:    The Rolf Wheelset. For a guy my size, the wheels flexed to the point that the brakes were rubbing the rims, even with the brakes adjusted to the point where the lever bottomed out. The tires just didn't feel sticky enough to me. I have 'em stored for future use, though. The Sid XC wasn't and still hasn't been adjusted too well for my size.

Bottom Line:
I just can't say enough for this bike. The wheel thing was just a personal opinion, as they would definitely work for someone smaller. The initial price was high, but I think that it will pay off in the end. You always get what you pay for. The bike suits my riding style, and it will get you anywhere you want to go. I would definitely reccomend this bike to someone, especially if they are in the market for a superlight, tough riding machine.

Favorite Trail:   Just put me on anything technical

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Store

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh M-30 (no suspension though), Jamis dakota, Kona lavadome.

Bike Setup:   New wheels (Mavic X517 W/ XTR hubs), IRC Mythos XC Tires, Icon bar ends, Cateye Comp., Rest is stock setup.

Submitted by Jim Pedersen a Weekend Warrior from Geneva, Il US

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2001

Strengths:    This bike has made my transformation from asphalt to dirt almost effortless. The frame geometry is perfect for me. I bought the 19.5" and am about 5'9" 175lbs. The Sid XC front suspension is great now that I have it properly tuned. The Shimano derailures shift on command while packed with mud. This bike might be overkill for a novice like me (especially the price versus the crash frequency) but it makes me want to ride, ride, ride...

Weaknesses:    The bontrager revolt tires are great for hardpack but horrible in the mud. Exterior cables make cleanup tough.

Bottom Line:
This bike will make you want to get out and ride it! Just make sure you say hello to your wife or girlfriend first!

Favorite Trail:   c'mon, I'm in Illinois!!!

Purchased At:   Bike Rack, St. Charles