Trek 2000 820 Hardtail Bike

4.04/5 (48 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Sync 288, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by puffdaddy a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale CA USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2010

Strengths:    Very durable. Tire and rims are good quality. Heavy bikes tend to be more comfortable which is the case with this.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat heavy.

Bottom Line:
For the price, the bike is great. If you pay little bit more you should opt for the disk brakes as they will really help in rain or mud. Bike is on the heavier side because its not made from aluminum. That fact makes it more durable and more comfortable while riding.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from NY, USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2008

Strengths:    This is an outstanding bike. I would say it has withstood the test of time, as it has now been my only bike for nine years.
It took over 3 years of riding about 25 miles a week in all weather (I live in NY) for the breaks to wear, and the frame is still in outstanding shape. Decent sized tires, and perfect for someone my size. I'd say the ultimate value in an entry level bike. Granted, I have never taken this thing through extreme trails...but for a get around, semi trail bike, it is more then I ever could have hoped for.

Weaknesses:    The seat sucks. Way uncomfortable. No shocks. Bike is a bit tiny for most adult riders.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this bike to anyone who wants a light weight (maybe 15 lbs at max), durable, simple bike that can keep up with more expensive bikes and live to tell the tale.

Favorite Trail:   URBAN TRAILS

Purchased At:   Bicycle Country

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   STOCK

Submitted by Dave Ankarlo a Weekend Warrior from St. Paul, Minnesota, Ramsey

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2007

Strengths:    For the price this bike is exceedingly durable and a very comfortable ride. I personally love the front suspension for those moments when I do a little off-trail fun and still when I return to city streets the bike is a smooth comfortable ride all the way

Weaknesses:    None that I have noticed.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike and I recommend it to anyone. I am us to riding bikes designed to be used by law enforcement officers where you often need not only the speed for city streets but also the maneuverability, control, and durability needed for off road pursuits. This bike provided all those with a beautiful front end suspension that absorbs a good portion of the shock that result from off-roading to an easy to use and durable gear shift mechanism. Additionally the frame is light enough that when I am bike on city streets I don’t feel bogged down like I do on a conventional mountain bike. If you are looking for a good all around bike or just something nice to start out on I suggest purchasing this one. Trek 820 is amazing.

Similar Products Used:   Trek Tactical bike lines used by my law enforcement branch.

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Allen, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2006

Strengths:    smooth shifting, easily goes from road to light trail duty

Weaknesses:    no shock

Bottom Line:
I got this bike for my 13th birthday in 1994...paid $318 way back then. The bike has taken years and years of abuse. I have obviously changed tires, tubes, brakes, and chains over the years, but everything else on the bike was completely stock until this summer. Yes, I abused this entry level bike for 12 years before needing to finally change the rear gearset!! With basic maintenance, cleaning, and lubing the components last. I currently use the bike for both road duty and trail duty just by switching out the tires. Yes, I still have the 12 year old rims on it. With 21 speeds the bike easily pulls double duty. I recently did the Hilly Hundred weekend in Ellettsville, Indiana with my continental contact 1.3 inch wide tires and can keep up with road bikes easily. The ride is a little rough on rigorous trails due to the lack of a shock on my old model, but nothing that cannot be tolerated. The frame takes a beating. Excellent bike for the price. If you are into both road and light trail riding all that is needed is this bike and two sets of tires.

Similar Products Used:   walmart junk while growing up

Bike Setup:   currently still completely stock except for finally this summer new gearset and continental contact tires for road riding

Submitted by Andrew Kuo a Weekend Warrior from Pleasanton

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2006

Strengths:    Durable
Nice price
Shifts way better than walmart bikes

Weaknesses:    Weighs 30 lbs due to steel instead of aluminum frame
Not for professional riding / hardcore
Shocks dont do much

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike instead of buying walmart bikes, good for trails and paved road too. Not so much on rocky terrain though.

Favorite Trail:   Iron Horse Trail

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Walmart Bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock + Cateye / Oasis Gel Seat

Submitted by Ryan a Downhiller from Somewhere over the Rainbow

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2006

Strengths:    Holds up well when riding on the roads. And it is fairly cheap and comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Just about everything. I try to keep up with my friends that all have Big Hits and Konas. It feels like your are trying to take a road bike down a mountain. The fork basically sucks. And my rear tire bent pretty badly.(and I've never done any heavy drops) I also have to change my brake pads frequently. Plus, the derauiller(spelled wrong) and rear cassettes get messed up after a few tough rides.

Bottom Line:
A sucky bike for rocky trail riding like I do. However, if you are mainly a cross-country rider, or road rider this is a DECENT bike. But overall, it's a good price for a rider just getting into the sport. Like me, 2 years ago. It's improved me, but now it is time to upgrade from this dumpy bike, to a Cannondale Prophet 400. w00t w00t

Favorite Trail:   Hertshaft

Purchased At:   Tom's Cycling or something

Similar Products Used:   Wal-Mart Crap

Bike Setup:   Standard crappy stuff

Submitted by Colin from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2006

Strengths:    The frame is an iron horse, I've crashed into more than one car and it still holds strong. Dependable bike for daily runs around a city.

Weaknesses:    Brakes wore weak after 1 year, the fork/handlebar are weighty and inefficient, and the cogs wear thin.

Bottom Line:
It's a damn fine ride for consistent daily misadventures around a city. 3 - 10 miles a day for a while and it stills goes strong. The frame is a beast that takes on cars with force, whether my fault or the drivers, the frame still holds up. Just keep in mind that it's labeled as a rec bike.

Purchased At:   A smalltown bike shop

Bike Setup:   Standard

Submitted by Charlie from MIddlebury VT USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2005

Strengths:    Good Bike for the money, good strong componants, strong overall

Weaknesses:    fork, grips a little heavy for the size

Bottom Line:
A good bike that can be a great bike with some mods. a little heavy and not the best thing on two wheels, but a good ontender at this price range

Purchased At:   Local Bike shop

Bike Setup:   I put on a RockShox Indy SL (fork) and Yeti Hardcore grips, new tires soon. I have put about $90 into this bike.

Submitted by Andy Rek a Weekend Warrior from Janesville, WI

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2004

Strengths:    Frame has stood up to quiet a bit of abuse, comfortable and reliable most of the time.

Weaknesses:    Cheap brake, rims, front fork and shifters.

Bottom Line:
It's a great bike for little stuff, but once you get into more hardcore stuff get ready to drop a good hunk of change into it to make it better, I'm still waiting to put a better fork on it. But if you got the cash to waste its a decent hardtail to mess around with.

Purchased At:   Michael's Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek Y1, don't know how similar it is though.

Bike Setup:   Titec handlebars and grips, Odyssey pedals, Race Face crank, better rims dont kno what brand.

Submitted by Jeff Meijer a Weekend Warrior from Roscoe, Illinois, USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2003

Strengths:    Allaround great bike its worked for many years and hasnt faild me to date.

Weaknesses:    The pedals are plastic.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike! I would recomend buying one and go not only for a stroll, but this bike is made to handle off road too.

Favorite Trail:   ROCK CUT BABY

Purchased At:   Rockford Bike Company

Submitted by Jeff Quesnelle a Weekend Warrior from Ontario

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2003

Strengths:    The frame is strong and the headset is strong but to long.

Weaknesses:    The rims are crapy because I did a 8 foot drop and warped both the rims. The tires wear down and I blow a tube every couple weeks or so. The forks and brakes are really bad so I put manitou's and hydralic disc on.

Bottom Line:
The frame and some of the other parts are good but not the tires, forks, tubes, brakes, seat, and rims. It is great for a begginer though but not for me I guess I just am to rough with it.

Purchased At:   Georgain Cycle

Similar Products Used:   norco mountauner

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Illinois

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2002

Strengths:    strong frame

Weaknesses:    i didnt like the fork that came with it, didnt shift well after extensive use, brakes were shot after about a year, my handlebar got bent after a 5 footer, rims bend easily

Bottom Line:
This bike is good for what it is meant for but i used it for other than that. I beat this bike to shreds dirt jumping and urben drops. The gears skip tremendously, the brakes were horrible and the rims bent easily. This is a good bike if you are just using it for light xc trails or transportation but as soon as you start getting crazy and doin drops and dirt jumping this bike gets ruined.

Favorite Trail:   Challenge Park

Bike Setup:   Titec ctem, new flat pedals, new front rim, new tires, WTB seat

Submitted by brad a Weekend Warrior from ogden, ut, usa

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2002

Strengths:    strong and durable. great brakes, nice factory tires. comfortable lengths from saddle to peadal and saddle to handle bars.

Weaknesses:    having a lot of problems shifting. not sure if its the cables or the derallieurs?.?! the bike is also a bit heavy but not too bad.

Bottom Line:
ride this bike before u get it. dont buy a floor model. have the cables pre-stretched. that helped but still haveing problems. also, look into nicer pedals. all in all its a good smooth bike with lots of potential as far as i can tell. handles dirt trails really nice.

Bike Setup:   factory

Submitted by Mason a Weekend Warrior from Columbus OH

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Strengths:    It's not crap! And fairly light for a steel bike! I really like the handlebar position. It just generally feels right.

Weaknesses:    No suspension (on my '96 model), shifting is somewhat unrelaible.

Bottom Line:
Just thought it would be fun to write about this bike, as I've had it for 6 years! It's been a good bike for general recreational purposes, and I took it to Moab, UT recently and showed up alot of people on much more expensive bikes, which was fun. I'm buying another Trek soon though, I think its time for aluminum...

Favorite Trail:   moab...

Purchased At:   Roger's!

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Moab 1 (?), Schwinn Clear Creek.

Bike Setup:   Power Grip pedals, barends, new seat...

Submitted by Jim a Downhiller from Wellington, NZ

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2002

Strengths:    Frame is well manufactured, cheap, some good componentry.

Weaknesses:    Frame is poorly designed and diffucult to work around, stock forks suck, shimano altus deriallures, weak stock rims. no-name brakes suck-ass, are impossible to maintain, wear through shoes every week or so.

Bottom Line:
Good if all you want to do is ride through the city and don't want to spend too much, could be a good entry bike - but you'll grow out of it quickly (within three months).

Favorite Trail:   Mt Victoria

Purchased At:   Penny Farthings (NZ)

Bike Setup:   stock