Trek 1999 9800 OCLV Hardtail Bike

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)

Trek 9800 OCLV

Submitted by Olav van Doorn a Cross Country Rider from Huizen, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2003

Strengths:    Weight, looks, comfortable, Very fast at single track, handling overall.

Weaknesses:    Could be stiffer.
RockShox Judy XC.

Bottom Line:
I like the verry smooth ride in addition to my previous Cannondale's. It also handles great at high speed single track. I also the look great with is slooping top tube and nice full carbon tubes.
This bike is almost six years old and still is very reliable. Accept the Rock Shox , this one is to flexy.

Favorite Trail:   Houffalzie (Belgium)

Similar Products Used:   Cannonadle M700, Cannondale M2000, Kona Explosif.

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Judy XC, SRAM 9.0, XT V-brakes/, XT cranks, carbon bar/bar-ends, Woodman components, Ritchey pedals.

Submitted by captn a Cross Country Rider from Laguna Hills

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2003

Strengths:    Very light, has flex to it. So it's forgiving. A great climber. Good enough for the down hill. It just depends on the rider.

Bottom Line:
I weigh about 170lbs. the bike 23lbs.It climbs like no other. I've had it for about 2 years.I bought it for $500 spent another $700 and it's set up exactly as I want it. I've been up steep hills. Down steep bumpy hills, even Mammoth. Its never let me down. I will never get rid of it. Even when I get another bike. I love it.

Purchased At:   a friend of a friend

Similar Products Used:   Nothing like it.

Bike Setup:   All XTR except Avid Ti brakes. Carbon bars and seatpost. Tubeless wheels and tires. Thompson stem. Chris King h.s. Manitou Mars forks. All together weighs about 23lbs.

Submitted by Fatman from Munich

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2002

Strengths:    Light, dampens vibrations,

Weaknesses:    seat stays flexy: I've used brake booster from the beginning, that fihished this problem

Bottom Line:
I've ridden this frame strictly xc, but I am rather heavy (220lbs). So surely not too cosy conditions for this frame. At first, you'd think this frame is much too flexy for such a heavy weight, but that is not the case. A flexy fork (in the beginning I used a RS SID '98 in this frame) or wheel set is much more annoying with that respect. So I enjoy the super smooth ride the frame provides. If you change form a stiff aluminium frame, you at first do not believe that a smooth frame can make such a difference. Compared to the CromMoly DeKerf, the TREK frame absorbs a lot more, but is also a bit more flexy.
So, this TREK OCLV is a class of its own to ride, it is light, so light that you really feel the lightness, it is comfortable, so comfortable that you really feel it, it is damm fast, and the flex doesn't bother me much. The frame is still in good condition. A pity that they do not build it any more (mine has 1420g for 18,5 inch frame, the new ones are much heavier).

Purchased At:   Rabe Munich

Similar Products Used:   DeKerf Generation, Hot Chili Zymotic, Marin Indian fire Trail, Cylce Craft CPS3

Bike Setup:   TREK 9900 Pro Issue '98, Marzocchi Bomber Atom 80 '00, XTR...

Submitted by Derek a Downhiller from Fresno

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Strengths:    -VERY light
-great handling in single track
-stiff for pedaling
-good parts
-good looks

Weaknesses:    -a little twitchy on fast fire roads
-Some front end flex
-Narrow rims

Bottom Line:
This bike has really been an excellent and reliable bike for years. I bought it in 1995 and have thousands of mile on it. I replaces all the parts at least once and the frame still rides great. I use it mostly for xc riding and have a full blown DH rig I race on. While I miss the suspension, I love the light weight and good handling in single track. It gets a little sketchy in super fast situations and the brakes pretty much suck but I still love this bike. I got it on closeout and has been worth every penny. If you like putting in miles on relatively smoothe singletrack you will love this bike. At 23.5 pounds it makes a nice switch from my 41 pound santa cruz every now and then. In modern times full suspension has come far enough that fs xc bikes are the way to go, but for the day this was an unbeatable bike.

Favorite Trail:   007

Purchased At:   Valley Sports

Similar Products Used:   Lots of hardtails and full suspension xc and DH bikes.

Bike Setup:   Manitou FS TI fork, king hubs, sram drivetrain, onza brakes

Submitted by Lewis Fellas a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Durabiity, my frame cracked after none months relative light use. Trek refused to replace the frame and discuss the matter or answer any correspondence.

Design, the carbon fibre frame flexed so much that however the rear disc bake was set up there was always rubbing.

Bottom Line:
1 - This bike should not be puchased with the Disc option it just doesn't work the frame is too felxible.

2 - I returned my frame as it cracked on the down tube after a month of creeking only to be told that i would not recieve a new framset under Trek's lifetime warranty. The replacementcost of a new frame is £1100. Trek offered a replacement at a discount, however, given the sums involved it appears that Trek do not wish to honour their warranty and view selling sub standard framesets as a means of generating extra revenue.

To reiterate do not buy this bike.

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Submitted by MARK a Cross Country Rider from JERSEY

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2001

Strengths:    great ride. stiff but not harsh...very smooth
excellent climber
very light frame

Weaknesses:    s.stays a little flexy under braking

Bottom Line:
I picked this frame up at a swap last summer for $100 and built the rest up from scratch laying around the basement. I wound up building one heck of a bike. it has beautiful ride characteristics, is light weight even with heavy old 8 sp. stuff and is one of the finest climbers i've ever ridden. trek should put this frame back on the market-it's a shame that they're all getting chopped up to make those STP's

Favorite Trail:   indian at wissahickon