Trek 1999 930 Hardtail Bike

4.3/5 (43 Reviews)

1999 Trek 930, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett T2, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by Drew a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2014

Strengths:    lightweight, sturd, decent shox, longevity, great ride

Bottom Line:
Got 930 Singletrack used in green (I believe it is from late 90s due to having front shocks). Got it for song $60. It is amazingly light and solid and everything is still in workign order even though it is 17 years old. I mainly use it as a commuter bike; reckon it will fare fine for trail riding. Only thing I changed is the handlebar from straight bar to Race Face low riser, more for comfort than performance. I really love this bike considering I have a Gary Fisher Big Sur that cost twice as much as well as a Turner 5 Spot that is 4k and have had Santa Cruz Heckler. Huge part of riding is skill and what shape you are in really unless you are competing at professional level. I love this bike and will never part with it. If you fine one used, grab it.

Favorite Trail:   Surry UK

Duration Product Used:   Two month

Purchased At:   Gumtree

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Turner 5 Spot, Gary Fisher Big Sur, GF Marlin

Bike Setup:   Shimano STX cranks, derailleurs,

Submitted by jcsantacruz a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2010

Strengths:    Strong Frame. Bullet proof. Owned this bike for 12 years. 25 broken bones 4 concussions and Zero! broken bike parts!! Takes a serious beating in all conditions. Great geometry for downhill. Effortless climbs.

Weaknesses:    Rim brakes SUCK! Rock Shox Suck.

Bottom Line:
Here's the deal. This frame is indestructible! Don't believe the hype of the salesmen. Some how I foraged the same insane and extremely technical trails 12 years ago on this bike as the kids are now days on their $6000 Full suspension bikes. Don get me wrong. Its kicks your ass but it makes you stay alert, responsive and aggressive. Yes it is a harder ride, but do we ride because it is easy?? Just saying. I have never broken down on this bike. Replaced Tires, rims, pedals, saddle, Fork, Headset, and rim brakes to disc. All Necessary changes. Bottom line...
I love my 930 in all its raw splendor. And I saved about $2000! :)

Favorite Trail:   Magic Carpet

Purchased At:   Spokesman, Santa cru

Similar Products Used:   Stumpy...

Submitted by jcouture a Weekend Warrior from Louisville, KY

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2010

Strengths:    Pearl white w/red lettering.
Love the bike from day one. Smooth, fast. In regards to other postings of weight. I think it is very light compared to aluminum bikes of similar models. I have no problem carrying over the shoulder when needed.

Weaknesses:    Rock Shox Jett T2 fork, I never got around to replacing it. I mostly do singletrack and the bike is intended for that use so the fork does pretty well for the purpose. Fork still works well after 10 years.

Bottom Line:
I wish they still made this bike. I've been looking for another one of similar specs and model year.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   Gilles Cycling- Evan

Similar Products Used:   Prior model before 930SHX: Trek 820
Current: 2000 Trek 6000SHX, 2004 Specialized StumpJumper FSR Elite

Bike Setup:   Factory components, clipless pedals, bar ends, replaced the chain. Just replaced with Panaracer Smoke and Panaracer FireXc. Bought an extra wheelset with Bontrager slicks.

Submitted by EdJax a Cross Country Rider from Jacksonville, FL

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Strengths:    Frame. For almost 10 years of riding nothing broke - still original drivetrain.

Weaknesses:    450 for a new bike - nothing.

Bottom Line:
The bike was riden on XC trails, now used for pavement mostly (pulling the kids trailer, even somitems as a road bike).
It weights 26.5 lbs. Is it too much for a steel bike...? Thinking about making it singlespeed, fully-rigid and lighter wheels.

Favorite Trail:   Hanna Pk, Fort Clinch

Similar Products Used:   Moto Fly

Bike Setup:   Duke SL fork, Sun Ringle handle bar, Avid SD 7, LX levers, Titec seat post, Terry saddle, Kenda Climax Lite tires.

Submitted by Yost a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor, MI USA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2008

Strengths:    indestructible. bomb-proof. i've thrown it over fences, down hills, and into the sides of minivans and this bit of steel just blows me a kiss and asks for more.

Weaknesses:    my god, is it ever heavy

Bottom Line:
seventy-five bucks for the most venerable frame in steel mountain bikes? I'll take it. I've ridden this thing over 2800 miles in the last year, through the snowiest winter ever in Michigan, through ninety degrees and nine degrees below. It is the consummate commuter, but it's so tempting to throw it at any trail, hill, or spandex-clad weekend warrior on a seven-thousand dollar Madone (who I just absolutely SMOKED, by the way). Yeah, it's heavy, but it's forgiving and extremely durable. Don't know about the stock components, I got it used and the previous owner obviously had great taste in aftermarket goods.

Favorite Trail:   streets of downtown ann arbor

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   my first serious (read: non department-store) bike

Bike Setup:   Redline fork, Mavic wheelset with Bontrager half-slick tires, fi:zi'k flat bar, Shimano Sltus shifters, WTB Race V saddle, GT headjoint, i've basically frankensteined this sucker

Submitted by Blake Lee a Weekend Warrior from Gadsden, AL, USA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2008

Strengths:    The strength of the frame completely makes up for the weight of the bike.

Weaknesses:    The gears don't shift as smooth as I would like, but they do just fine

Bottom Line:
Great bicycle for the everyday person. I am using mine for commuting in college and weekend trips. Good investment

Favorite Trail:   Blood Mountain

Purchased At:   Given to me for a weekend job

Similar Products Used:   I have used a few older model Trek bicycles

Bike Setup:   Given to me stock. I upgraded simple thing like a new saddle, new tires, and so on.

Submitted by zak from westport ny

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2006

Strengths:    frame is awsome haddiling

Weaknesses:    brakes grip shifts

Bottom Line:
great hardtail reliable fun handles great forgiving great for a weekend warrior if your riding at a place like whitface youd want more suspension but i made it down fine.

Purchased At:   bike swap

Submitted by zak from westport ny

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2006

Strengths:    frame is awsome haddiling

Weaknesses:    brakes grip shifts

Purchased At:   bike swap

Submitted by Samuel St. Louis a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, SC USA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2005

Strengths:    I loved the frame and the components easy of changing and adjustment. I road on the same chain and drive train for 4 years and only replaced them as the broke. The price of the bike was great and easily upgradeable for a beginner as they advanced in skill level.

Weaknesses:    I would say the only weeknessrd wer the fork (RS Jett TT), not enough travel and the heavy rims( Bontrager).

Bottom Line:
Botttom line I used this bike on all kinds of trails, raods, and everything in between. I used in college to commute to class, froiends rode it on trails and then as a road trainer. The frame was so strong and held up to anything I threw at it. I then put slicks on and changed the drive train and it worked great as a road trainer. I finally just sold the bike today to pay for my new road bike Giant OCR2 (2005)I hope I dont regret getting rid of that frame.

Favorite Trail:   any that I can get on

Purchased At:   Eagleeye Sports and Athletics

Similar Products Used:   Tired all different kinds of Treks, and Giants

Bike Setup:   The bike was stock except for a WTB Speed V saddle, Mavic 221 rims, Serfas bar ends, WTB grips, Road slick tires. The stock components work like champs until they just wore out from use.

Submitted by mahtain loopez a Racer from kernersville nc seattle wa

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    like they all say...frame, which has strong but slightly supple steel...i think mines the last year..anyone help? its forest green metallic with sram stuff...8spd...

Weaknesses:    for this price, not a bitty thing, if i paid retail, all the components except shifters..brakes are OK..but just ok

Bottom Line:
the parts get thrashed, the frame rocks on...just about had it with the stx crank performance, i can smash'em for breakfast! looking for an older 8spd setup if anyone has one in very good condition (gruppo)....the best thing about this bike is the way it eats up twisty speed trails with obstacles...very much like my old kona...which is very surprising to me considering the different angles in the bike,,,but nevertheless this bike feels similar, almost like mini-transparent-suspension....anyway, one of the best deals ever

Favorite Trail:   salem lake

Purchased At:   star pawn

Similar Products Used:   name it, kona, brodie, special ed, haro, raleigh, fat city...and on...

Bike Setup:   flat stock except new seat (kona)

Submitted by james from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2003

Strengths:    Super Frame
Looks great
I liked the sram(7)shifter

Weaknesses:    Shocks are entry level Indy s

Bottom Line:
I ride heavy 3+ times a week and except for the occasional worn out component - it still works great.
I have had the bike since 97.
Lately I have been riding my brothers Trek 7000 - I really like that bike.
The punishment is taking it's toll on me though - I'm thinking about buying a dual suspension...any suggestions

Favorite Trail:   rockwood park is pretty good

Purchased At:   alternatives

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6000

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Harry a Cross Country Rider from Nashua, NH

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2003

Strengths:    Rock solid, Unbreakable, Good beginners ride.

Weaknesses:    Crappy componant group, If you keep it more than a year you will be making upgrades.

Bottom Line:
Good entry level rig. low $$$. but it will allow you to get hungry for more.

Favorite Trail:   Fireball

Purchased At:   Goodales

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820

Bike Setup:   Jett Fork, lx nine speed bontrager rims and hubs.

Submitted by Zion Rasta a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis, IN Marion County

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2002

Strengths:    Super strong and light True Temper OXIII 4.1 lb Frame 19.5"
Price
Frame quality, weight, welds, and paint

Weaknesses:    Trek should have never gotten rid off this frame. At least they should've had one steel race bike on their line. But, I know, Fuel liquid (imitation Ellsworth) and the other ZR9000 hard tails sell better. If people could test ride bikes on the trail, it would be a different story.....

Bottom Line:
I have tried bikes from $700 to $4500. This frame is better that any Titanium, Aluminum, or Carbon Fiber I've tried. If you can get this bike/frame you will understand how misleading the marketing hype is. If you want the best frame for your money, this is it. Granted the bike comes with 8spd crappy components, but the frame is what you want. I owned a Cannondale F2000 Caad 4 frame and everyone knows they ride like sh!t even with the stupid lefty. Of course no one will accept it after spending $2000 on a harsh-out of control-oversteering bike. Get this frame and chant down Babylon!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Black Mountain Asheville, NC

Purchased At:   Some Bike shop in Nebraska

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed, seven, trek 8500, Cannondale F2000, Salsa Ala carte frame, Bianchi Grizzly,and a ton others

Bike Setup:   New 1999 Trek True Temper OXIII frame, Mavic 517 XT Wheels, Race Face Turbine LP crank, Race face rings and BB, XT cassette, XT Derailleurs and Shifters, Crank Bros Egg Beater Pedals, Avid SD7 levers and breaks, Duke XC 80mm, Michelin Wildgripper lite tires, Azonic orc stem, Azonic flat bar, FSA XLII headset, Tompson seatpost, serfas vado saddle, Sram 69 chain - ~23.5lbs I got lighter parts, but the bike is set up for aggresive XC ridding.

Submitted by Ryan Vitek a Weekend Warrior from Wauconda

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Strengths:    The frame's the strongest one out there. Comes with very decent de-railers and great grip-shifters. I think when this bike needs an upgrade, I'll go with rapidfires. Swap on some street tires and this bike is a great street rider to get some good speed.

On the trails, I love it. Fast uphill and controlled downhill. Can't say much more than that.

Bottom Line:
If you can find a decent one still around, get it and clean it. It'll last you forever!

Purchased At:   Spokes Cyclery, Wheaton

Similar Products Used:   Trek 820.

Bike Setup:   Stock + on-road tires.

Submitted by Marco a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Strengths:    Super strong frame, could be lighter, but it's not too bad for being a steel frame.
Very stable in technical stuff and drops.
Many of the OEM components will break, but not the frame.

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
This bike is worth upgrading.
I had replaced so far:
The stock rims with rhyno lites, deore hubs.
Riser bars and downhill stem.
Flat pedals.
The original Rock Shox Indi C (crap) for a Rock shox SID xc.

Favorite Trail:   Burnaby Mountain, Whistler

Similar Products Used:   Devinci, Gary Fisher from friends. These are more expensive bikes and I don't feel them better than the 930.