Trek 1999 820 Hardtail Bike

3.75/5 (8 Reviews)

Trek 820

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Whitesboro, NY, Onieda

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Strengths:    This is far and above the average deparment store death machines that I have only been able to afford, and then destroy, in the past. All the components are solid and I liked the price. It is pretty maintinace free aside from the ususal greasing of the chain, tire preasure, and tire change, etc.

Weaknesses:    I HATE!!!! grip shifters, so I had them changed a year later. The front Derailure is too slugish for my tastes, and is in the process of being replaced as this is written. The shocks are not perfect, too bouncy and I have bottemed them out many times, but they just fine for a beginner or someone who doesn't get too crazy.

Bottom Line:
This is an exceptional first bike for most folks, and for a commuter like myself who has put a good two thousand miles a year on this bike, a solid investment. I only do XC on the many dirts roads and trails around here and ocassionaly get crazy DH , but for safety's sake I would not do any serious dh with this bike. This is a great commuter bike, not performance bike, and compared to the bikes of some of my con-patriots who ride other treks, diamnodbacks, marins, etc, this is the best bang for the buck. Believe me, it is not worth buying a deparment store bike only to have to spend as much money fixing it as one paid for it, if not more as I have come to learn ten bikes in ten years later!

Favorite Trail:   Canal trails

Purchased At:   275.00

Similar Products Used:   Lots of old Huffies, cheap moongose, and wal-mart brands.

Bike Setup:   SRAM 5.0 8 speed rear derailure, front Rock Shox Jett, Currently Shimano Alivio shifters.

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Altoona, Pa, USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Strengths:    Solid Build, Price, Reliable bike, Was a great beginner bike for me

Weaknesses:    Heavy bike, somewhat cheap components(fork), Fat-ass seat, Ft. derailer is a frickin pain to tweak and dosent like to shift, break toe-in stripped out, need new rear brakes now.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price. Served me great as a first 'real' bike. Could somewhat keep up with the guys riding mega-buck-bikes.

Purchased At:   'The Bike Shop' in State College

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500, Wal-mart 50lb P.O.S. (which died after only 3 days of abuse)

Bike Setup:   Shimano brakes (koolstop pads), Shimano M858 clipless pedals, Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires (CitySlickers for road riding), the rest stock

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Rapid City, SD

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Strengths:    great ride quality on or off road. I purchased a new set of rims and street tires for on road trips, but still have stock tires and rims.

Weaknesses:    Front derailer dosnt change under load, tires wear down fast. Front sprocket eats pantlegs, ruined two pairs of pants on it.

Bottom Line:
Good bike, will keep, but buy new front derailers and sprockets.

Favorite Trail:   Mickelson

Purchased At:   Scheels

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Augusta, Ga

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2001

Strengths:    The tires were great and handle mud, rockie trails, loose sand. The rear shifters work great and even under a heavy load they shift on the fly. The front forks are great on those rough trails.

Weaknesses:    The front derailer bites big dogs. Even after taking it to the shop it does not want to shift. I have to leave it set on 1 on trails and shift the back gears. The seat is uncomfortable as heck and I can not ride it for long periods without taking a break to get the curculation going again.

Bottom Line:
It is great for mild, medium and some light heavy trails. It takes the trails great and the ride is comfortable. For the price it is well worth the money.

I like the tread on the tires. They have handled mud, sand, rocks and every type of debry that the trail throws at you. I know other riders who have changed to the same tires that I have.

I would concider getting new front derailers. They bite and if you are on some tuff trails I would be in low gear and shift the rear gears.

It seems to handle pretty well and I have had no problems when I get down on it and have to really pump.

A great bike for begining to intermediate riders.

Favorite Trail:   Savannah River

Purchased At:   Outspoken

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by alex behm a Weekend Warrior from marcellus ny

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2001

Strengths:    It s a strong bike with a nice frame and low end components

Weaknesses:    the shifters are really tight at first. No clipless peddels.the seat sucks get a new one.

Bottom Line:
for the money paid its a greatbike to take out and break yourself on. Just get a new seat before you do because the factory seat is a piece of junk.

Favorite Trail:   Highland and Split rock

Purchased At:   The Bikery

Similar Products Used:   Trek 835

trek 835

Submitted by Roger Paschall a Weekend Warrior from Greers Ferry AR USA

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2001

Strengths:    This bike has a very strong frame. While the shifters, brakes and other components are lower end, I've had no problems with their performance.

Weaknesses:    The seat sux for rides >10 miles

Bottom Line:
You get what ya pay for here...actually you might be getting a little more with this bike. I say that because I put it through alot keeping up with my friends who own $1000+ bikes! Needless to say, this bike has held up through 6 months of heavy abuse. The only complaint I have is it tries to buck me off on the rough/technical stuff...but hey, it wasn't made for that to begin with! One more thing...the seat has numb-city written all over it. I replaced mine after one too many crotch-numbing rides. This would be a great entry-level bike for someone wanting to test the waters on mtn. biking.

Favorite Trail:   Camp Robinson

Purchased At:   Back-Room bike shop in a Feed Store

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Sorrento SE

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Leila a Weekend Warrior from North Hollywood, CA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2000

Strengths:    Strong Cro-moly Frame
24 speeds
Trek Lifetime Warranty on Frame

Weaknesses:    Can't find any

Bottom Line:
What can I say? This bike is killer for the price. I am not a full on hardcore racer and basically use the bike for training and lighter off road trails. (If you are looking for a bit more bike with an aluminum frame I have heard that the Trek 4500 rocks) The frame on the 820 is very strong and lively. The bike is suprisingly light as well which makes the climbs enjoyable and the 24 speeds help out as well. I love the grip-shifts on this bike also. The saddle is comfortable so no need to swap out and the looks of this bike are killer with a great paint job. Mine is blue. All things considered if you want a great bike for the money you can't find another one this good for the price that handles the road as well as the trails. I have had no problems at all with this bike in well over a year now and would highly suggest anyone not looking for all of the bells and whistles to get this bike.

Favorite Trail:   White Fence