Trek 1999 8000 WSD Hardtail Bike

4.36/5 (14 Reviews)

1999 Trek 8000 WSD, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou SX, 2.75" travel fork

Submitted by Monica G a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Strengths:    The main strenght: - Women Specific Design -
I love the frame geometry. The top tube gives nice clearance and make it really easy to get on it. Trek 8000 WSD fits its purpose, it works for women.

Weaknesses:    SIZE. That is the problem. Women doesn't come in only 3 sizes. Maybe I am just complaining because I am one of those picky people that can't be measured by extra-small, small or medium - I need the *RIGHT* fit, not the "oh, ok, thats kinda close". And the reason I need the right fit isn't because I am some sort of professional rider or anything like that (I am not). The reason that I need the right fit is because Im one of those people that would rather stay at home playing on the internet if "it's windy", if "it's cold" or if "it's too hot" and other excuses... I don't like pain. I don't like a saddle that hurts my butt. But I like going down that trail fast, that wind blowing on my face and the bugs splashing on my forehead -well, maybe not that last one - feeling that bumpy dirt road making my shox work, and watch little birds, or an old man fishing with a bucket, or just the blue sky above me. That's right - I don't ride for the exercise (even though I end up getting it at the end without realizing). So it has to be extra-confortable and light and nice and perfect. Maybe I am just asking too much, but this is my review anyway ;-P
I am 5'2 and (listening to some expert dude - my husband)
I got the X-small one. My size is right in between X-small and Small. They said "Better to get a smaller one that the one that is too big". As a result, I had my saddle as high as it gets (I had to get a different seatpoast) and as back as it gets. Bike is kinda heavy but that's not so hard to fix.

Bottom Line:
Women doesn't come in only 3 sizes.
If you happened to fit exactly on their size chart, lucky you, go for it - it has OK components (not great, but decent ones) and rides smooth. The front shox is NICE, but if you're light weighted (100 lbs) you might want to change the springs on it. I got it free from the manufacturer, Rock Shox, in 3/4 days.
If you're in between you will probably end up having to change a lot of it to get a confortable fit. I don't like mine very much now because it doesn't have much adaptability, my seatpost had to be really long and high, I am stuck with it, can't find a better one. But I still stick to Trek as the best bicycle I had ridden so far - and that is all thanks to the WSD.

Just wish they could make one that fit me right instead of "thats really close"!!!

Favorite Trail:   That wonderfull bike path by the ocean and yellow flowers fields in Santa Cruz

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to XTR. Got new suspension seatpost. Changed the springs on shox to make it softer.

Submitted by Kristine a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2001

Strengths:    The WSD fit. I like that this bike was designed with a woman's frame in mind. Back in the days (pre-WSD) I had to saw down my handle bars and modify most of the bike to fit me. Also, it's powerfully fast on the downhill!

Weaknesses:    Nothing really. Although, I don't know if a lot of people know that the cool Rolf Satellite rims are slight heavier than a standard 32 spoke rim. Can't really tell but they are.

Bottom Line:
Great bike off the floor. Don't really have to do a lot of modifications since it already has good parts. I love the fact that it's comfortable to ride as soon as you get it, keeping in mind that your already have clipless shoes and are used to riding that way.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   Start to Finish

Similar Products Used:   Trek 960 Singletrack, Trek 8000 (not WSD),

Bike Setup:   2001 model, although I use a Terry Liberator seat. Didn't find anything wrong with the Bontrager seat but I really like the Liberator. I also changed the ICON stem and use a Salsa with a slight rise. And finally, added barends (a must have).

Submitted by Beth a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2001

Strengths:    Frame geometry-fit was very good;turning the stem upside down made it perfect!
Mine came spec'd with 170 mm cranks-felt good. Shifting was like butter-super smooth and quiet(Perhaps more the mechanicat the shop?)
got mistaken for a bicycle cop re-paint job.
Great tires-Revolt RS2's. Manitou shocks a BIG plus.

Weaknesses:    The saddle! Thinking that this bike would be used ror x-countrying, coming off behind the saddle, it was TOO WIDE! It is possible to get women-friendly, technical riding-friendly saddle. I've since switched to Avocet O2.
HATED the feel of the shortie-brake levers-they felt cheap and flimsy-upgraded to XTR right away.
Bontrager grips wore out in a big hurry.
I also had a mysterious creak-it wound up being one shoe on the pedal. WD 40 on the cleat fixed that.

Bottom Line:
I've done lots of tinkering since I bought the bike-it came with Icon cranks, stem, bar, pedals; LX front, XT rear derailleur. Got RACEFACE cranks/ chainrings that feel incredibly stiff and efficient. Would still recommend the 8000 WSD off the floor; it was (and is) a very good bike that addressed my geometry problems(5'2"-but long legs for my height)and is light and nimble on the trails. Hugs the trail on uphills very well.
I've looked at the 2000, 2001 models-TRek seems to have cheaped out on some components, upgraded on others-Mavic wheels+, tires-, etc.

Favorite Trail:   Durham Forest

Similar Products Used:   Tried Iron Horse, Specialized, Gary Fisher, plus *mens*8000.

Submitted by Teresa a Cross Country Rider from Black Hills in South Dakota

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2000

Strengths:    This is an updated review. I bought this bike over a year ago. I still like the bike very well. Fits very well and have been very comfortable on it.

Weaknesses:    The RE-1 pedals. They were very inconsistent. Had problems getting into them in mud and had inconsistent releases no matter the weather. Even after throughly cleaning and relubing the incosistent releases didn't go away. Also now have a creak that I haven't been able to localize yet. Think it is from seat post. Also am having a bit of a problem with shifting. Shifts pretty rough.

Bottom Line:
I would still recommend this bike. I have ridden many miles on it and have been very comfortable on it. The frame fits very well. The parts are still good for the price but my next upgrade will probably be the front derailler/crank. I already swapped out the pedals.

Bike Setup:   Stock parts except Time A.T.A.C pedals.

Submitted by Stacey Stills a Racer from Vermont

Date Reviewed: November 8, 1999

Strengths:
a great fit and comfy too

Weaknesses:
a little heavy

Bottom Line:
finally my puss-y is happy, thanks guys!

voodoo
cannondale
schwinn

judy 2000

Submitted by Stacy a Cross-Country Rider from Carbondale

Date Reviewed: November 7, 1999

Strengths:
short top tube,
Womens specific geometry

Weaknesses:
stem supplied was too long.
175mm cranks on a 13 frame???
Stock springs on fork too stiff.

Bottom Line:
The overall handling of the bike is very good. I cant understand why Trek would supply a 13.5 frame with 175mm cranks. The Judy 2000 works well, but came with the stock set up for a 140-170# rider. Replacement springs arent available yet. 5 chilis for construction, ride, minus one for component choices.

Land between the lakes

Raleigh M30

2000 model, judy race, xt/lx with xtr rapid rise rear derailleur.

Submitted by Tina a Weekend Warrior from Auckland, NZ

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1999

Strengths:
Everything

Weaknesses:
None apparent

Bottom Line:
Fantastic bike to own if vertically challenged - 5'. Geometry fits perfectly. Very light-weight. Handles off-road terrain superbly. I spent a month and a half trying to find a bike to fit and this was the only one I was happy with in every respect. A real looker too. Thanks to Trek for making this model, otherwise I would have 1) unhappily have gone for something sub-standard, or 2) refrained from getting a new MTB full stop.

Woodhills

Schwinn Moab

Submitted by Dean a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria, VA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike as a gift for my wife. Unfortunately, the standover clearance of the smallest WSD frame is higher than the comparable men's frame and my wife had no clearance. I guess this is logical, because if you shorten the top tube, it rises faster and therefore has less clearance at midpoint. Had it not been for the lousy standover clearance, the geometry of this bike would have been perfect. Trek still needs to do there homework for ladies 5 feet tall or less!

tested or demo'ed only

Submitted by Tania a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: July 6, 1999

Strengths:
Excellent components, WSD frame fits my 5'2 frame perfectly, looks cool

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I can climb like a mountain goat now

Haliburton Forest

Trek 7000

STX components, Judy XC

Submitted by nancy a Weekend Warrior from spungeon

Date Reviewed: May 25, 1999

Strengths:
Nice to see more womens specific offerings.

Weaknesses:
Womens design does not fit all women.There is no universal womens build.Did not shift that well. I talked to some friends and they said the Trek does not use a Shimano crank which is the problem.

Bottom Line:
Buy it if it fits you and you like the ride. I thought it was harsh and not as smooth riding as my Schwinn Moab. My old steel specialized even road better.

too many to name

Schwinn Moab 1
Specialized Rockhopper

Submitted by Alyssa DeLeo a Cross-Country Rider from Wethersfield, CT

Date Reviewed: April 13, 1999

Strengths:
Great fit
Good Components for price
Paint looks great
Great front suspension

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I have a bad back from soccer injury and took up mountain biking. I had the Specialized Stumpjumper for a while and my back always hurt after a ride. Trek did a great job fitting a wmoen's body to a bike. By adding the Body Shock, the ride is great, and my back doesn't hurt! Trek makes it worth the money to buy these WSD bikes. I can't wait to ride my Trek 8000 WSD more!!!!

Winding Trails, Wallingford, CT

Specialized Stumpjumper

Stock, and added a Answer Body shock seatpost.

Submitted by Teresa Dodsdon a Cross-Country Rider from Rapid City, SD

Date Reviewed: March 15, 1999

Strengths:
Fit
Components for price
Did I say fit?
Paint job
Lightness

Weaknesses:
Specs said I was going to get re2 clipless pedals. Bike came with re1.

Bottom Line:
For the price, the bike came with everything I was looking for. It actually is quite a step up from my old bike, a GT Timberline. But I plan on doing a lot of riding and figured the money will be well spent. The fit is just amazing. I love riding but with my GT, I had such a sore back and neck that it made riding miserable. Because of the weather, I haven't had the time to ride as much as I would like but already I feel the diffence when I ride on my new Trek. Thank you Trek for taking the time to make a frame that actually works with our bodies, not against. The Rockhopper was a fairly close second choice but it just came down to what I got for the price. I loved everything that came with the 8000 WSD. With the Rockhopper, I would have had to get bar ends, I would have had to change the seat and it would have put the price up past the Trek. Also I couldn't stand the green paint job, though they said that they would order the pearl white one for me. Overall, if you are tired of having a sore neck, sore back and feel like your balance isn't quite where it should be look seriously at the Trek 8000 WSD!

less than 1 month

GT Ricochet
Specialized RockhopperA1 FS Comp

Submitted by Stacey Malles a Cross-Country Rider from Winona, Minnesota

Date Reviewed: March 14, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight
Fits good
good components
looks spiffy

Weaknesses:
Not as light as I expected.

Bottom Line:
good bike

Cherry Hill

less than 1 month

Trek 930
Specialized stumpjumper pro

stock

Submitted by Mike the Strike a weekend warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

My wife is 5'2 and 110 pounds and had a hard time finding a bike that she felt comfortable with. She just clicked with the Trek WSD designs - they've done their homework on the geometry. She was leaning towards the 6500 (the next WSD down), but I talked her up into the 8000, which at just under $1k is well equipped. The lighter bike (24 pounds or maybe a tad under) and clipless pedals have made a tremendous difference to her climbing performance. In fact, I'm having a hard time keeping up with her now. Great performance and a cool-looking bike.