Trek 1999 7000 Hardtail Bike

4.67/5 (162 Reviews)

1999 Trek 7000, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by Trek7000rider a Weekend Warrior from NoVA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2009

Strengths:    Frame. It is fairly light, strong, good geometry, etc. The bike is 10 years old and the frame is still going strong.

Weaknesses:    stock components

Bottom Line:
I got mine for $300 about a year ago, and have done a lot of mods since, most notably converting the bike to 9 speed, swapping the wheelset, and putting on new cranks. This bike is perfect for me, its about #25, which isnt heavy, but it isnt light by todays standards. the frame is what I am really writing the review for, and it is great. Stiff enough, nice and strong, and pretty nimble. It has handled my abuse, and has shown no signs of not being capable for whatever task I decide to put it up to. Its just a solid, dependable, hardtail. No problems whatsoever. 5 for value, because you can get a complete one for 2-400 depending on how its spec'ed out, and 4 overall because I'm sure that technology has gotten better in the past ten years, even though I dont know what would need changed on the frame...

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   I've ridden other mountain bikes, but this is the first one that I have gotten some extensive riding done on

Bike Setup:   Matte black powdercoat on the frame, Vuelta Team SL wheels, XT drivetrain, SLX cranks, eggbeaters, Magura Quake C fork, etc.

Submitted by Arno a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2008

Strengths:    Straightforward bike for the average rider. Very sturdy.

Weaknesses:    Crankset sqeaky cracky (tighten really hard, and get another cartridge). Hard to get tires off factory rims. Somewhat heavy. Bent the cheap front blades twice (upgrade to Shimano XT!)

Bottom Line:
Sturdy bike that lasts forever. Had numerous crashes, hardly any problems with the bike (my ribs had some). Rides well and is very agile around corners. With my new fork, it feels as good as new and up to date again. A2Z makes an adapter to fit IS2000 disk brakes. Magura Louise and Marta fit with those (Avid won't). Has been worth every penny for the 8 years I've been using it. Currently my spare bike.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded '08: RS Recon Air poploc, new wheelset, Magura Louise disc brakes, new Ritchey seatpost

Submitted by Serge LeBlanc a Weekend Warrior from Moncton , New Brunswick , Canada

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2004

Strengths:    Frame is very sturdy and had a very comfortable ride. Great handling through tight single track and difficult trails. I have had it for a while now and still love it.

Weaknesses:    Rims and drive train need work. Although it is equiped with LX and XT derailers, the crank and the rear hub have given me small problems. I broke the rear hub just by pedaling. the crank has always had sqeeks and cracksdue to stress when I apply alot of pressure to it. I also found it heavy compared to others in its same category.

Bottom Line:
The bike is a greeat ride. The bike is basically a race machine in a box for the novice racer. the price was exellent and the ride is comfortable. Trek was on the right track with this bike, unfortuneatley it was discontinued after 2000.

Favorite Trail:   Hillsbrough

Purchased At:   Radical Edge Moncton

Bike Setup:   Trek 7000 (1999 model) micheline tires, Sun Ryno light rims

Submitted by Shank a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2003

Strengths:    Lasted 5 years with minimal parts wearing out and still looks good. Keeps going strong after all this time.

Weaknesses:    Small creak that comes from the seattube, put some locktight on my seatpost and that cleared it up.

Bottom Line:
This bike was worth every penny I spent and then some. It has held up very well with the only part changes coming from my wants rather than needs. Trek really hit the nail on the head with a affordable, rock solid bike that was light enough to please most of us. I never expected to be riding the bike this long and have just now started to look for a new bike. I plan to keep this one as a spare/loaner and I know that it will around for a long time.
They do not make the 7000 any longer but I would be willing to bet that the newer frames they are putting out are just as bomb proof.

Favorite Trail:   Hard Times in Ashville N.C.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 950 from the old days when steel was the best thing going.

Bike Setup:   Stock except upgraded the pedals to 747s and then eggbeaters.

Submitted by David Gorman a Weekend Warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2003

Strengths:    looks-mine was the metalic blue with some yellow and with grey components. Xt rear has been good, frame is excellent. Judy XCs ok to start with. Wheels ok. Fast bike , good climber.

Weaknesses:    Judy Xcs wore out. Front LX mech neaded replaced early on and still have very occasional trouble with chaingetting trapped or to come off. Chain has also got sucked in and trapped at back occasionally. A big weakness was the dealer who made me pay for any parts or work when it was still under warranty.A wee bit scary on the down hills.No quick release seat clamp.

Bottom Line:
I,ve had it five years and have not had to spend much, with new forks being biggest outlay.They have made it far better as have the risers. I've done a lot of miles and a lot of very rough off road on the Scottish mountains Some trouble with front mech, some frame squeeks.I get up hill easier than many of my friends.God climber and fast XC. Despite all this I think I am going to buy a Trek Liquid 10 tommorrow.Feeling a bit sad at changing as this bike has been good to me, but I want to try more stuff in more comfort with more confidence at downhills and jums etc.
I might even keep this bike , but if you want to buy it email me!This bike mainly suits a XC racer, ive done some epics on it. It has coped with all styles of riding .

Favorite Trail:   the next one

Purchased At:   Trossach cycles

Similar Products Used:   Muddy fox with full xt and judys.
Scott comp lx with Indys.
Dawes.

Bike Setup:   Now have Duke xc forks ,which are a lot better. I've added some Club Roost risers. QR seat clamp. a few gizmos.

Submitted by Stephen Stancill a Cross Country Rider from Grand Rapids

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2002

Strengths:    Race ready

Weaknesses:    Icon Seat post and bars

Bottom Line:
I love this bike I plan on getting an Easton Carbon Fiber seatpost and eggbeater peddals, I have upgraded the front deralure to xt. I like the raceer feel of this bike. Knowing what I know now I would not have baught anything else.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Custer

Purchased At:   Velocity Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Sub22, Gary Fisher funny name bike.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded the front deralure to XT.

Submitted by Tulefog a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2002

Strengths:    Awesome all around bike - bombproof.

Weaknesses:    It's a hardtail.

Bottom Line:
This bike is incredible. I bought the bike stock with the goal of riding the sh*t out of it. I have upgraded parts as they wore out and now this bike is so sweet!!! Trek makes a great bike for the buck.

Submitted by Scootems a Weekend Warrior from Midwest

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2001

Strengths:    Frame & components. Truly a classic and I got it for a steal as a used bike. Beautiful Dragonfly Green!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Sweet ride. Nimble, light, fun. I took care of the notorious squeak in the frame by pouring a 1/3 can of "Liquid Wrench" down the seat tube. NO MORE SQUEAK. Do it!

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   Trek 800. Cannondale M300. Tested a bunch of others new. Nothing comes close.

Bike Setup:   Added RockShox seatpost, Oasis anatomic saddle. Otherwise stock. Plan to upgrade the crankset when this one wears out.

Submitted by Sam Worsham a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, Georgia

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight frame, cost efficient, its a hardtail!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Components----but you get what you pay for(a definate must upgrade), a little squirrely in descents, makes for an interesting ride!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
Climbs very well, and by changing out a few components can be turned into a great XC racer. I have raced this bike and can vouch for it. Extremely well put together frame, cudos to Trek. I have beat this bike to death and it asks for more. I have been extremely pleased with my 7000 and will be saddened to see it go, but with the purchase of my new 9.8 elite, which I have yet to test, it must go. However it won't go far(selling it to a close friend). I would definatly recommend this bike to any serious MTBer. Thanks agian to MTBreview which helped me decide on a 9.8.......(review in the near future).

Favorite Trail:   All Trails

Purchased At:   Individual

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Moab 1, Cannondale V-500, Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   Icon bars, AVID 1.0's, Icon cranks, XTR front and rear deraillers, Bontrager corvairs, Use suspension seatpost, Selle Italia flight gel saddle, Judy c forks and XT rear cassette.

Submitted by Rob Smit a Weekend Warrior from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Strengths:    Frame is nice and light for a plain gauche frame. Geometry is allright once you've changed the stem.

Weaknesses:    The Judy is too softan d too heavy, I liked it at first, but in time my riding changed. The saddle is crap, the weelset is strong but a bit heavy. The Lx fd never worked properly. Brakes lack power, tires lack grip. No frame squeek here!

Bottom Line:
A very reliable bike, nothing broke down untill now, after 2 years of riding. I've got the right riding position after changing the stem, 14 degree rise is too much. Now it's 0 degree rise. Others seem to like riserbars for a more upright position. Hey, it's a personal thing. No squeeks in my frame, but the problem with the front derailleur was there. Never shifted properly and at the and it didn't shift at all. the XT solved the problem. I want to upgrade the weelset an fork (too heavy) and the brakes (don't bite).
The bike is worth it, no doubt!
Allright, the colour (swampgreen) took me a while to get used to, but now I like it.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Beelen

Similar Products Used:   Rockhoppers, Avelanche, Kona

Bike Setup:   ITM Outback stem,XT fd highclamp, Sram 7.0 chainweels, bar ends, IRC Mythos kevlar tires.

Submitted by MIKE a Weekend Warrior from saskatoon,sask,canada

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Strengths:    It's the tank of the x-country bikes. I've taken my 16" x-country frame off of any and all drops in the city of saskatoon. From loading docks in the urban sessions or the 5-7ft drops we made on the out of bounds trails, the bike has been there through it all. All of my friends laughed at me for buying this bike at the time but they understood my crazy ride anything mentality. the local bike shop cant fathom the fact that my bike isn't in three or more pieces right now. after the 9 set of stairs i did popped the cherry on my shox (so to speak) but now they have a kinda cool negative travel thing going on.

Weaknesses:    i switched the following broken things:
-pedals
-wheels for my now taccoed rhino lites
-tires
-handle bar for a 2" riser
-oh ya and the brakes for hydrolic magura rim brakes

Bottom Line:
im congradulating trek on the abnomal bike profomance coming out of this crazy 7000. i know what u peeps are thinken, i m one of those bullsh!t riders thats full of it and that i actually have never done any of these dropes or dirt jumps before. Well for those of u that think that u can go we are not allowed to sware yourselves, i had no money at the time and the 7000 was just going to be my bike for that year but it turned out to be an awsome ride.
thx trek

Favorite Trail:   the stubby boner playground

Purchased At:   out of the paper(from some old guy)

Similar Products Used:   kona stuff

Bike Setup:   dudes my bike sleeps around ( its got every thing in it)

Submitted by Kyle a Cross Country Rider from Or

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2001

Strengths:    VALUE, light, yellow, Bontrager stuff

Weaknesses:    chain suck

Bottom Line:
awsome bike for $900, if you have a chance get one!

Purchased At:   Tommy's

Similar Products Used:   big sur

Bike Setup:   Mars 1 fork, Arch Rivel, XT fd(best up grade)

Submitted by --Me Again-- a Downhiller from Maine

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Strengths:    See complete review below

Weaknesses:    See complete review below

Bottom Line:
Oh yeah--forgot to mention the brakes,levers,and shifters.Probably don't need to,because:

A.The Avid 1.0 SD's work great,despite all the reviews saying how sh$tty they are.After all,you don't need discs for XC,and I only weigh 172 pounds.These brakes will still put the bike into a easy nose-wheelie if you squeeze 'em hard enough.Over 2 years of riding,I've only needed to change pads twice.I have cartridge pads now.

B.The Avid Speed Dial levers are good too.Nothing to complain about here either.AND I LOVE THE LITTLE KNOBBY LEVERAGE DOO-HICKEY!

c.The shifters are LX,which is fine,but I'll probably upgrade to XT eventually because I already have an XT crank,deraillers,cassette,and chain.

That completes the review.My ratings still stand at 3 sh&ts for value,4 sh$ts overall.

Similar Products Used:   See complete review below

Bike Setup:   See complete review below

Submitted by Reindeer Blower a Downhiller from Maine

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2001

Strengths:    See review

Weaknesses:    See review

Bottom Line:
Not a bad overall bike--needed upgrades to really take advantage of the frame's kickass potential.The angles,the paint job(sperm-white!),the ride(stiff but not brutal)--hell,even the welds and finishing all look pretty good.Nothing cut here.The bike climbs,sprints and handles like a monkey on crack--even better than my old Stumpy,which I thought was the pinnacle of hardtail frames.
Now to break down what the bike needed:

1.Fork-My bike didn't come with a Judy XC.I got a Manitou SX instead.I thought it sucked at first.It didn't feel "right" stock.It didn't respond very well to being slammed around and felt like the rebound damping was a little too light.It felt good on small hits,but GOD FORBID if you hit anything big with it.I'm not a tank-ass rider,only 5'8 and 172 lbs,but I do ride bikes like I mean it.The springs were just too soft.Even a two-foot drop resulted in the fork bottoming out.
With heavy springs,the ride improved.I could now hammer on it with more confidence,but the flex was still there.You couldn't see it,but it was there.Also the fact that some of the settings couldn't be tweaked frickin' drove me nuts.I know how I want a fork to feel like,and the Manitou sure as hell didn't feel right--after all,I'm a privateer downhill racer,Sport-class,and I have a good deal of experience when it comes to setting suspension up.
Last November,I bought a Z3 BAM on discount from Airbomb.$220 later--now HERE is the ride I was lookin' for!The Z3 is a much plusher,stiffer fork than the Manitou ever was.Yeah,the bike is a tiny bit heavier,but not by much,and the ride is all the better for it.Better still,close to 8 months have gone by and I haven't gotten the slightest bit of stiction.
2.Icon parts-Junk this sh#t when you get the bike and save yourself the hassle.The Icon pedals(Bontrager RE-1 pedals actually)are pure limburger.The damned things literally BROKE in a week.Yes,broke,WHILE I WAS RIDING.This is not good.I had to walk my bike for a mile back to the trailhead because of this.I replaced them with Ritcheys post-haste.
The crank was crap too.It shifted so bad,constantly throwing the chain in muddy conditions.Fu$k this.I bought a new XT crank after a month,and all problems disappeared.
Is the seatpost good?Nope,that's garbage too.Bent right over after 3 months while hammering up a hill.Ouch.On goes a Kore post.
The stem and bar seem to be okay.No complaints there..yet.Throw on some 'ends and you're ready to go.
3.Wheels-Bontrager Superstock.Pretty good.No complaints really.They hold up fine,except for a truing every now and then.
4.Tires-Another in-house item.The Bonty Jones tires SUCK,and I mean REALLY SUCK.Fine in the dry,but skated all over the damn place whenever I rode in wet conditions--and believe me,the Northeast is rarely ever dry.Replaced them with Michelins after 3 months.Now the bike's handling is perfect.
5.Saddle-Yet another point of contention.It didn't agree with my ass at all--it felt too wide.Dumped it for a discounted Nitrox--nice and thin,perfect for long-distance XC.
6.Headset-Not too fancy,and that's perfectly OK.I haven't had any problems with it.So it's not a King--so what?!
7.Drivetrain-Fine,until the LX front wore out in April.No biggie--I wanted XT anyway.The XT rear is just fine.No problems with the XT chain either.

Verdict?Stock,the bike is probably ideal for a beginner to intermediate rider or even racer(what kind of newbie is going to dump 1k into a bike anyway?).However,ride on it a lot for months on end and you'll have to start replacing the sh$tty parts real fast.The frame underneath is great,but otherwise I wouldn't reccommend this bike to people,at least at the MSRP($1000).You need to throw oh,say about $800 or so into the bike to make it a two-wheeler for the long haul.3 torched piles of moose sh$t for value,4 overall(because the frame is so good it compensates for the mediocre spec--otherwise,it would've been lucky to get 2).

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   My '93 Specialized Stumpjumper,the only other XC/training bike I have owned.All of the other bikes I have owned are DH-specific--'96 Intense M1,'98 S.C Super-8,2001 Brooklyn TMX(Hell yeah!!)

Bike Setup:   Trek 7000,XT front/rear deraillers,XT crank,Kore seatpost,Z3 BAM 80 fork,Icon bar-ends,Michelin Comp-S tires front and rear,Ritchey Logic pedals,and Selle Italia Nitrox seat.Only the wheels,headset,bar and stem remain stock.

Submitted by Mahhim Muabababa a Downhiller from Whitemoore Lake, Iowa

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2001

Strengths:    I think it has sorta, okay colors. The grips aren't toooo bad. And the price was not bad. Also the grips were squishy.

Weaknesses:    I think everything on this bike sucks, and I am soprise that brakes don't come with it. I mean going downhill w/o brakes is really pretty scary, especially if its your first time. I also thought that the grips could be squeshier

Bottom Line:
THIS BIKE SUCKS.
I would never again buy a Trek Bikee. After the th3rd ride the dam wheel went out on me and I broke my kidney. Ever since I can't feel my shined bone. The lust I have for chocolate pudding has never been the same.

Favorite Trail:   The "Ball Buster"

Purchased At:   A garage sale