Trek 1999 6000 Hardtail Bike

4.44/5 (126 Reviews)

1999 Trek 6000, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett T2, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by Mike N

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2012

Strengths:    Built to last, good components, low maintenance and a pleasure to ride.

Weaknesses:    Nothing to mention.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike brand new in 1999. At the time I lived in Dallas, TX, which has a fairly good variety of paved and off-road biking trails around the metro. I rode this bike almost every day for years. In the evenings I would ride on the roads around my neighborhood or on one of the many paved biking trails. Generally on Saturdays I would venture off for a 15 or 20-mile ride on one of the many off-road trails, some of which were somewhat technical and likely above my skill level but I'm confident the bike could have handled the challenge if only I were able (or willing).

Overall I rode between 75 and 150 miles per week. Sundays were dedicated to my road bike but the rest of the week I generally rode my Trek 6000.

Around 2002 I moved to the North side of the Kansas City metro area where biking trails are almost non-existent. After a couple years of riding through the neighborhoods I finally lost interest and put my bikes in storage for almost 8-years.

We have since moved to an area South of the KC metro where access to bike trails is much more convenient so I have started riding again almost every evening. Getting on this Trek again feels like reuniting with a long lost friend. With exception to one of the shifters giving me a little problem, the bike looks great (except for a few well-deserved scratches) and rides like the day I bought it.

I recently took this bike to the local Trek shop for some basic maintenance and a tire swap. When I walked through the door the mechanic commented when he seen the bike. He said the 6000 was a great bike and value-for-money, probably one of the best bikes Trek made.

This bike is nearly perfect for normal all-around riding and you'll find nothing better at this price range - as I'm sure you can get these for a steal today. If you're wanting to do some serious mountain biking or puting on a lot of road miles then I would suggest looking at something designed specifically for that purpose.

Submitted by fatgo66 a Downhiller from Springfield, IL

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Strengths:    withstands almost anything that you can dish out to it.

Weaknesses:    when I bought the bike it had a faulty valve in it.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for going in a trail in the forest or up in the mountains. my favorite place to go with it is the Barr trail. It was totally up for the challenge. I am taking it back to Colorado in a few weeks and I am going to do some tougher trails.

Favorite Trail:   Barr trail, CO

Purchased At:   R&M Cyclery

Submitted by Ross a Cross Country Rider from Summit, NJ

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2002

Strengths:    Can withstand a lot of abuse. Shifters and rear deurailler are awesome. No problems with brakes.

Weaknesses:    MAD chainsuck, caused by a crappy front deurailler and the crankset.

Bottom Line:
For 550 bucks, I must say that I am totally satisfied with this bike. I can ride it for hours on end and it holds up to any abuse I can dish out on it. If you already know that you are really into off-road riding, you may as well spend more money for a better bike, but if you are just starting out in the sport (like I was when I bought the 6000), then this is definitely a good place to start. You can pretty much take it on any cross-country trails you can think of, and you can ride it nice and hard too.

Favorite Trail:   McDowell in Arizona

Purchased At:   Jay's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   Basically everything that came with the bike, except a WSD saddle.

Submitted by Hadrian Kim a Cross Country Rider from Newtown, CT

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2002

Strengths:    Great handling, nice ride, pretty good in the mud, light weight, great on the road and on the trail, can pick up to a pretty nice speed.

Weaknesses:    Have had some trouble with the gears. Had to replace the rear shifter with the Shimano Deore LX. Not too bad suspension with the Jett T2 fork. But this bad boy would kick ass with a Judy fork. Wish it had a better pick-up.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a work horse. I've put this toy to the limit. I've had to replace the shifter after damaging it. I still have trouble with the gears but after doing a little work with them, it turns out to be fine. You can take the 6000 pretty much anywhere except off of high drops. I've done mud pits, bowls, creeks, jumps, small drops, rocks, sand, road, grass, everything. This bike has taken it all. The frame looks like new after over 3 years of abuse. I have flipped countless times, once smashing the head set and bar down on a rock. The only thing that broke was the head light i had installed seperately. This bike is built like a rock. With the alpha aluminum frame, it is very light. If your in line of buying one, do so because you won't regret it.

Purchased At:   $600

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll 800, Cannondale Gemeni 1000, Specialized Enduro

Submitted by Grant a Weekend Warrior from Maplewood NJ USA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2001

Strengths:    Gears, Components, braking, fork, frame

Weaknesses:    high speed handling, the steering can sometimes have a mind of its own if you hit a really big obstacle (root/rock)

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! I have abused it worse then anyone else probably has, often riding down steep hills at around 35MPH on sidewalks in my suburban area. The shocks work great, and this bike can handle anything. I have only gotten one flat, and have put about 1500 very hard miles on it and the tires are still in good shape, in addition to the brakes. Front brakes are slightly more worn then back brakes, but both work great. I have done a lot of hard stops with the front brakes, since I am into doing front wheelies, and still have almost a year left on the pads. The biuld quality is excellent, with all name-brand components. The alumninum frame is surprisingly light and gives a fairly good ride on the rear end. The bike handles well, but not great. Upwards of 25MPH if your going to do a quick turn be ready to wrench the handle bars and pray, high speed handling isnt great. However, the handling isn't great, but for some unknown weird reason this bike is funner to drive then any other hardtail Ive ever been on. The handling is tight, and its very easy to lean into curves or do fast slaloms. In Addition, I love the wide gearing especially for such an old bike.

Similar Products Used:   another hardtail from specialized

Bike Setup:   RoxShox Jett Fork, Shimano V brakes, Topeak rack, Blue + White paint, Aluminum frame, trek seat handlebars and stem

Submitted by Cody Whynot a Cross Country Rider from Liverpool, Nova Scotia, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2001

Strengths:    *frame
*rear derailleur
*lightness
*rear cassette
*rapid fire shifters
*bontrager jones tires

Weaknesses:    *bottom bracket
*rock shox jett t2
*grips (when wet)
*pedals
*rear part is a little heavy
*crank

Bottom Line:
I like the frame, and I think that any beginner who wants to start mountain biking should consider the Trek 6000. I have a lot of fun with this bike, but I had to replace the bottome bracket and the crank because I bent them both. I only weigh 150, but I was doing some big drops for a xc bike. I will soon replace the front suspension.

Favorite Trail:   Cow Road

Trek Crossbow Seat
19.5"

Submitted by I like it doggy style a Racer from Liverpool N.S. CAN

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2001

Strengths:    i like the pretty red it goes well with my biking shorts the seat smells good also

Weaknesses:    the smell of the seat after my little sis rides it
the tires are to big
and the seat is to big
id like a bigger rear deraleur and stem
to heavy but i still managed to win nationals (thanks mom!!)

Bottom Line:
if u want to be like me buy it and email me i need friends
those chilis look more like flammin cocks to me but thats just me

Favorite Trail:   the gettawy trail from the bank safe to my house i travel it alot (my friend said i had to rob it)

Purchased At:   my friends yard sale

Similar Products Used:   ccm heat mbx 1000 and all kinds of 100 dollar bikes

Bike Setup:   the seat is connected to the seat post the seat post connects to the frame and so does everything else duhhh!!!

Submitted by sandy brock a Racer from sudbury

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2001

Strengths:    i am a very good racer and am in races every where i just purchused this new bike gary fisher sugar three the treck 6000 is garbage compared to this bike the 6000 has no strength i would never buy a treck the way the geometry stands

Weaknesses:    everything accept well the rims

Bottom Line:
this bike is only good for people that ride on the street

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   bikers

Similar Products Used:   ccm heat

Submitted by Phets Kompathoum a Weekend Warrior from Blacksburg, VA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2001

Strengths:    Frame. Rims.

Weaknesses:    Front and Rear derailleurs. Brakes. Seatpost. Saddle. Pedals. Chainrings.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for beginners. If you want to abuse the bike, then it can handle any terrain. With the amount of punishment I gave it, Im surprised it still is good as new. I would of course upgrade on the pedals, saddle, seatpost, and if you can afford it, shifters. I would have gotten a Trek 7000 or 8000 if I had the money, but with $450, a good price for someone new at mountain biking. Too much money was spent on upgrades. Buy it if you ride only on weekends.

Favorite Trail:   Brush mountain

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Bontrager bar ends. M536 pedals. Bontrager fs 10 saddle

Submitted by Jeff Mery a Cross Country Rider from Austin,TX

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2001

Strengths:    -price
-stiff,strong frame

Weaknesses:    -fork
-brakes
-drive train
-pedals

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike for people who think they might enjoy off-road riding, but don't want to waste money if they don't like it. I bought this bike just before moving to Ausin in anticipation of doing some serious off-road riding. It has proven to be one of the better bikes I've ridden. I'm a heavy rider (235 lbs.), but find the frame plenty stiff; even for the roughest of downhills. The fork, however, is VERY weak. I tend to ride technical trails and it can't handle the hits from large drops. I'll be upgrading soon to a Psylo SL. There are very few original parts on the bike which goes to show that it's also a good platform for upgrades. Yeah, I could have spent more money on a 7000 or 8000, but the most important difference between these bikes is the frame weight. You save maybe half a pound on the higher end frames. Components can be replaced and upgraded; the frame fit/feel is the most important aspect of ANY bicycle.

Just as a testimonial to Trek's build quailty, the bike fell off the rack on my car while I was doing about 40 m.p.h. in rush hour traffic. Thanks to a friend following me (thanks John F.!!) it didn't get run over. After replacing the rear derailer hanger, the bike still doesn't have a creak or rattle in it.

Favorite Trail:   Emma Long, Rocky Hill, Walnut Creek

-Panaracer FireXC tires
-Icon Bar-ends
-Fiz'ik Saddle
-Shimano M-515 Clipless Pedals

Submitted by Ash Absalom a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, California, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2001

Strengths:    this bike has wonderful fornt suspension. The price is perfect for this type of bike.this bike can really take a beating under harsh trails. I travel many long miles with it and it holds up great. Alos the treck 6000 is easy to make upgrades on. This bike is great for anybody who wants alot of fun a dust on there close. x country riders to down hill hardcore riders have rode my bike, its really a great all around bike for the alla round biker.

Weaknesses:    The seat is not the best. The brakes are kinda bad for long rides but work great for downhills. Shifting is kinda stiff but is udjustable.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for the people who want to attack those mounatins. For the price paid it delivers a exceptanal performance. There is no doubt that this bike is the king of the 550$. This bike is easy to upgrade, so anything you do not like, (which will be allttle) can be fixed in a jiffy.

Favorite Trail:   red wood park

Purchased At:   summit bikes

Similar Products Used:   colorado nishikie

Submitted by Matt a Downhiller from Exeter Rhode Island, USA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2001

Strengths:    great forks, durable, easily upgradable. GREAT for the money. Handles well uphill, even better downhill. Good for beginner easy to make into a pro!

Weaknesses:    front derailer is kinda crappy, pedals are flimsy. heavy compared to some other bikes its class

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the money. You cant get much better
than this for what you pay. All components are great. I recommend an upgrade in pedals(Shimano ATB). Bike handles great all around, perfect for trails but also very comfortable for long rides. like i said PERFECT for beginners and easy to upgrade into more advanced.

Purchased At:   Casters Bikes and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   specialized hardrock sport, trek 800

Submitted by calvin chopp a Weekend Warrior from allegan,mi,USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2001

Strengths:    i love the upgrade-ability on this bike, its a great enrty level mountain bike that can easily be upgraded into race worthy material. buy it if you really want a great mountain bike with potentail.

Weaknesses:    well, had to get rid of that seat, and definitly the pedals, those were the first to go, but all in all, its great.

Bottom Line:
i love this bike, with the upgrades that i've made on this bike, im ready to do some racing this spring and summer. and the great thing is that i can stil upgrade.....i love the manitou fork, maybe if it had alittle more travel, and easier to adjust, but its a great all around bike.

Favorite Trail:   fort custer(right now)

Purchased At:   breakaway bikes