Spooky 1999 Pitboss Hardtail Bike

Spooky PITBOSS

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from White Plains

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2000

Strengths:    Very strong and stiff frame! geometry specif to East Coast technical and down hill riding.

Weaknesses:    this frame is stiff! You feel it after a long ride of 3 hours or more

Bottom Line:
Ive got this set up for XC riding. It's fairly light, very bulletproof, and a joy to ride. Would recommend this bike to all who require a very strong, dependable, quality frame. This bike will ride just the way you set it up. One day, when I lose my mind, and want to break my body, I will set it up for serious downhill. Right now its a great XC ride! Made entirely in New York State by people who care!

Favorite Trail:   Sprain Ridge Park

Similar Products Used:   Frame has the same look as the Rocky Mountain Reaper, but I am not sure if it's the same geometry or tubing

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi atom bomb, mavic 517/xtr, 9.0shifters, Easton monkey lite bar and seat post, xt brakes, crankset, time pedals, sst98 saddle

Submitted by Des a Racer from Fort Collins, Co, USA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2000

Strengths:    This frame is super stiff and damn strong. For the most part, very nice workmanship. The paint is super thick , so scratches are harder to get. The front end is sooo stiff.

Weaknesses:    The frame was a little off in the rear triangle when I received it from Spooky. Dropouts were just a little off.

Bottom Line:
This frame rocks!!The head tube is adequetely tall enough to put you in an upright and very controllable position. The front end on this thing is so stiff, and paired up with the QR 20 fork, this thing stears like a champ. DO NOT buy this bike if you want a lightweight racer. This is a bike that can be abused hard. My bike is built up at 29 pounds-for a hardtail!!! But I love it and I wouldn't change a thing. Amazingly enough, it climbs incredibly well for it's weight. The descent is where this bike shines. It is incredibly stable at high speeds descending, but it is really great on the moderately fast, but extremely technical downhills. The frame does take a little getting used to if you put a super long travel fork on it. I had a 4" travel Marzocchi on it before and it handled really well. The head angle was very steep so it cornered really well. The bike was balanced very well and the center of gravity was about right. When I put a 5" travel Z1 QR20 on it, it messed with the geometry a little bit, but I actually like it better this way. The new fork made the head angle a little more slack to make it a little better desceder, but it made the bottom bracket almost an inch higher. But I would highly suggesta five inch fork for this frame.

Favorite Trail:   Horsetooth Service road to Wathen, then to Horsetooth Falls

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Chameleon

Bike Setup:   Z1 QR20 130mm, Race Face, XTR, Thomson seatpost, pd-545, IRC, Mavic 517, Azonic.

Submitted by Ian aka SMF1 Jacob a Weekend Warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2000

Strengths:    The name PITBOSS alone brings to mind a few things, the old school casino "family guy" that ensured the "integrity" and provided "security" for worry free gambling amongst its patrons. Or slam dancin at Lamours to Slayer, Murphys Law etc..So, getting back to the strengths of this product, lets see what you get for your "token entry".
Easton RAD DH specific tubing, 7005 staight gauge seat tube
and a few tweaked #'s translate into a bike that is nearly bomb proof and executes technical E.C. riding like a ginsu eats thru tomatoes on that commercial. So when you're gambling it all on your fav. trail or just gettin your groove on stylin some air, this bike lives up its name. MINES BABY BLUE!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Dropouts were a little bit off when it arrived, no other gripes.

Bottom Line:
It rules! ok its still kinda cherry, cause I havent hit dirt thats not covered in snow but Its one the best bikes I've ever owned. Handbuilt in NY state baby,all the way down to the dropouts. People drool over my baby.The new atom 80 fork kicks out of the box, heavy springs ofcourse!You can build this thing up xc race or enduro styley, I chose the middle of the road and I love it. Go to spookybikes.com and check out their stuff, while there, you can see a shot of my Pit. They coulda named this bike the pitbull, cause its so tough and meaty and kick ass and dangerous in the hands of the wrong billy bad ass.
If you see a baby blue blur on the trail its probaly me so if you got some buds call out "IAN" and lets fire one up! thanx for reading my bs, PEACE,LOVE and BIKE GREASE.oh yeah, this bike is recommended for those who want quality and integrity in their bikes, xc weeeeenies who count how many grams a tube is should look over the edge of a cliff, I mean elsewhere. Like the Spooky DARKSIDE.nuf said, by the way I will be racing xc on this bike with a lighter wheelset... so watch your back!!!

Favorite Trail:   Blue to bald mtn in Peekskill, N.Y.

Similar Products Used:   ???I've only seen the knockoff's, would throw a leg over to pee on em, not much else.

Bike Setup:   ATOM 80, grip shift 9.0 sl,xt hubs AZONIC butcher rims,R.F. Turbine cranks,thompson, berserker dh, king hs, avid arch supremes, scandium dh bars,kind of a supercross xc bikesetup if you ask me

Submitted by Ian a Weekend Warrior from momdukes

Date Reviewed: October 31, 1999

Strengths:
Hmmm...precise and super agile. Looks bitchin.Baby blue frame instantly regresses all other riders to a childlike state of drooling and crying.

Weaknesses:
Its not as plush as my dualie and I cant go anywhere without people askin all about my ride.

Bottom Line:
I'll give more detail when I build mine up.I just had to get spooky on the review page. I can say that this bike is probaly the best bike for racing and abusing the F*&#ing piss out of.

Flourescent pink at gram hills

tested or demo'ed only